Help
Help

Unlimited, Lite & Connect broadband
From Unlimited to Lite our Sky Broadband packages are tailored to your family's needs. For advice in improving your speed, protecting your family online or connecting your device.
Occasional Visitor
SoAndyT

Re: Change DNS server settings

Just came across this when looking for a way to change the server settings as I use my Sky Router as a backup measure (i.e. it's set up, ready to go, but for the moment, just serves the internet over one of the Ethernet ports via a better router and wireless network in my house).

Anyway, as there doesn't seem to be a way to sort the DNS settings on the router itself, I would suggest the following to those who are looking to use OpenDNS (which is why I'm looking to do it).

Disable the Wireless network on your Sky Box and plug in a cable DSL router (i.e. a router that doesn't have ADSL on it, but has an ethernet internet port for connecting to a router - or one that has that ability (some have multiple options to allow for failsafe - but anyway)).  Google "wireless cable DSL router" and look in the shopping section for an idea of them.

Setup the new router as per the manufacturers instructions and connect the new router to the Sky Box by the ethernet port.  Now, assuming you've turned off the Wireless on the Sky Router (found under setup on the Sky router interface (192.168.0.1 from your computer normally unless you've changed it)) when you connect up the new router, this should be the only thing that is supplying internet into your home and you should be able to change the DNS settings on the router (make sure of this before you buy it just in case, but most of them you can do) and that way anything that is passed through the new router, even when it heads out on the Sky connection will use the new DNS settings.

Ok, so it's a bit of a hassle and might cost you £20-£30, but if it's to use OpenDNS or such services for the protection of your family when browsing online, it's money well spent IMHO.

Of course, if Sky had any nouce about them, they would simply give an option to use either their own DNS servers or the OpenDNS servers, even if they don't allow full customisation of them, especially with all the recent news about eSafety for people at home.  It would just make a lot of sense as far as I see.

There are some routers out there now which fully intergrate with the OpenDNS service (Google OpenDNS Router to find some examples - a lot of NetGear ones now do - just makes it easier if you're a bit green on the techy front, though OpenDNS offer a lot of assistance and walk throughs on their own site too. 

Stay Safe: Don't post any personal details or Sky account information. Plain text only in this box.
Contributor
somebloke

Still no one from Sky has explained WHY this is not supported. I won't hold my breath...
Stay Safe: Don't post any personal details or Sky account information. Plain text only in this box.
Contributor
Ryster

I'm sorry Stacie, but being able to change the DNS servers is a basic function of all routers. It is not a matter of Sky "implementing" it. In fact you have done just the opposite and gone to the trouble of removing that feature from your "router". I mean, can you even call it a router any more when all these basic features that all routers should have have been removed?

I suspect Sky do this as a cheap and lazy way to censor the internet on their network. Most of their customers will not know what DNS is, let alone know how to change their DNS settings. By locking those people to Sky's own DNS servers, Sky can implement some rudimentary website blocking at their end by refusing to provide DNS responses for certail web addresses.

To anybody else still struggling with this, just do what I do and remove the Sky Router from the DNS equation all together. Keep your Sky Router in place as the internet connection device (which avoids breaking any of Sky's Ts & Cs), but buy yourself another router with an ethernet WAN port (cable routers are good at this, no need for ADSL on this). Connect an ethernet cable from the Sky Router to the new routers WAN port, and turn off the wireless on the sky router. Give the new router a static IP address in the same range that your Sky Router gives out, and set the DMZ address of the Sky Router to that static IP of your new router. Set the DNS servers on your new router to whatever you like.

Now connect all your PC's to your new router, and enjoy a much better experience. You'll find the new router to be much more configurable than the old one as you can change the DNS settings as we're discussing here, you can also use it's much better port forwarding options. Enjoy :smileyhappy:

Occasional Visitor
BC2012

I not only wanted to monitor childrens access, but having taught Computing from 3 year olds to Udergraduate level I know I and you cannot stop 13 to 30 year olds hacking systems. Once I have openDNS I can monitor in real time anything on my system and when it is being used incorectly. It is very tempting to use another router to bridge the LAN or to buy a dual band router to improve the wireless and streeming capabilities.

Please reconsider ASAP

Tam
Contributor
Tam

[ Edited ]

Bump.

Why have Sky still not explained why they do not implement this basic funtion.

With a miriad of different gadgets in peoples houses all running differing OS's, being able to use Familyshield by OpenDNS, is the only practical way of protecting my children online, short of banning them completely.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Modem Status Connected
DownStream Connection Speed: 39996 kbps
UpStream Connection Speed: 9996 kbps
Visitor
TheOldGuy

Sky, this is a setting on every other router known to man kind, explain to us why you do not allow your customers the ability to use their own DNS settings please.

You have no valid justification for hiding the setting at all other than the fact that you want all the outbound traffic to use your own DNS servers.

What's worse is you send twitter customers to this post when asking about it. 

Visitor
TheOldGuy

Infact it evens says in the router itself:

Display the Routing Table

This operation will display the internal routing table. This information is used by Technical Support and other staff who understand Routing Tables.

I have yet to find a member of the support team who understands routing tables

Retired Staff Member
GRF4784

Hi All, 

We don't offer this option as we cannot offer any advice for customers who encounter an issue with their router if it's not Sky supplied.

Cheers,

Visitor
TheOldGuy

Let's try again shall we?

Tell us why, in dead simple terms, Sky do not support the ability for the customer to change the DNS settings on their router.

It's not a hard question, it's one which I think we are entitled.
Occasional Visitor
weuyt6t32e

[ Edited ]

Seriously Sky, this is a terrible position for you to take.  Why can I not change the DNS settings, on your Sky supplied router, so that I am in control of what websites are accessed from within my house?  The advice to change individual DNS settings on PCs is daft, especially given the ubiquity of tablets and the like.  When my children's friends come round, I can't change the DNS settings on their iPads and laptops.  I either say no to them using my network or have little to no control over what sites they can access. Not only is it not good enough, your position is positively irresponsible.

Contributor
somebloke

[ Edited ]
Totally agree & as you can see from the thread, I have been asking for this since becoming a Sky Broadband customer.

There is no technical nor other reason why this cannot be provided. Other ISPs provide access to these settings.

I rather suspect the reason is that it forms one part of Sky's attempts to block sites such as "The Pirate Bay" where they are required to comply with the contents of a court order. These blocks are of course totally pointless as a myriad of ways exist to get around them.

I'd be happy to have Sky provide some form of site blocking service similar to that used by services such as OpenDNS instead if that was possible? (The McAfee solution provided by Sky currently is obviously useless for devices which are NOT PC's!)

Come on Sky, sort this out or at least provide a proper reason why this cannot be provided.
Visitor
TheOldGuy

There is also the fact that they point customers to the dns settings on local machines so there really is no justified reason for saying no to our requests to set a dns server at network level.

I have devices that do not offer advanced DNS settings as an option however in the past it was never an issue given that my router supported it. If Sky didn't encrypt the PPP session based on the MAC address then I would happy use my old router.
Contributor
somebloke

@TheOldGuy - "There is also the fact that they point customers to the dns settings on local machines"

Yeah, so in actual fact, blocking "The Pirate Bay" and their ilk is nothing to do with it - well pointed out!!

So come on Sky, what's the proper reason for not allowing this router level change?
Contributor
somebloke

@GRF4784 - "We don't offer this option as we cannot offer any advice for customers who encounter an issue with their router if it's not Sky supplied"

It might be 'lost in translation' so to speak, but no-one is advocating changing THE ROUTER. We just want to be able to change the DNS settings.

If it's a problem with support with the DNS settings changed, then you can ask customers to remove their 'custom' DNS settings prior to support calls being undertaken. Why is that so hard? (Not wishing to be disparaging but most customers probably wouldn't have a clue what you were talking about anyway so won't have altered the settings in any case!)
Occasional Visitor
weuyt6t32e

Maybe we should start a tabloid shock campaign - "Sky bosses exposing kiddies to sick filth online" :smileyhappy: