Unlimited, Lite & Connect broadband
From Unlimited to Lite our Sky Broadband packages are tailored to your family's needs. For advice in improving your speed, protecting your family online or connecting your device.
Retired Staff Member
Aleksandra-O

Re: Can I use my O2 router for sky broadband

Hi Simonc0801, sorry to hear you are experiencing issue with your move to us, when you get home if the issue persists please follow the trouble shooting for no broadband connection Slow Speed & Connection Issues 

Please check your dial tone on the phone as if you haven't got one or there is a fault on the line please follow this trouble shooting for no dial tone, No Dial Tone,

please let me know if this is of any help, if you need any further assistance do not hesitate to contact us 

Kind Regards

Please do not post any personal details or account information. Please use plain text.
Explorer
PoxyPig

I have yet to be transferred but have been promised that it will "only take a few minutes".

They told me about the transfer last month so I have been trying to contact them ever since by email (about 10 times - not one reply :smileymad:), phone (they never answer) and online chat (always too busy). I finally got through by emailing O2 who suggested I ring them rather than Sky. They eventually managed to put me through to Sky but it took 25 minutes.

After a long rambling discussion in which the sales girl contradicted herself several times I reluctantly agreed an unbelievably cheap deal. Since then I have had numerous emails and texts from Sky, all nonsensical and mostly saying I'm to be cut off :smileysurprised:

The omens are very bad indeed.

Please do not post any personal details or account information. Please use plain text.
Retired Staff Member
Aleksandra-O

Hi Poxypig, Thanks for joining us on our community, have you checked your MySky to see what package you have been signed up for? I believe that the emails saying you'd be cut of may be referring to your switch over date, this should not effect your service in anyway we will just be transferring your service form o2 to ourselves.  Let me know if you have any other queries regarding this.

Kind regards 

Getting There
Simonc0801

Poxypig and all here the o2 to sky update.After a long time getting through to broadband support I was told I should have had a Sky router for this to work sent out for the cut over and as I hadn't couldn't do anything and delivery was on a 3-5 day turn around. I asked this to be escalated to an manager awaiting call back in 24hrs. I then asked to be put through to leaving Sky, the lady there was helpful but didn;t understand full process of o2 migration and said that I was to be on a 12 month contract, she then put me through to a gentleman called Nick who was very helpful and hopefully has sorted the issue. He stated 1)was not aligned to a 12month contract, 2) the o2 router will work fine with Sky broadband, issue was possibly that the router hadn't taken fireware update at cutover. He got me to carry out a full reset on router and all sprang into life, now awaiting 10 day settle period that is standard on all dsl lines. The issue I have is that Sky broadband support were completely wrong in the info they were telling me and doen't give much hope for others. If I wasn't persistent and work in this industry I wouldn't have got through to someone who was able to deal with in minutes and very consise.

Note I have a letter from sky stating outage will be minutes, o2 router will work fine and will not be tied to a 12month contract, thats in the file.

Explorer
PoxyPig

Glad to hear things seem to be sorted for you Simonc0801 - hope it stays that way.

Yes, I too get the impression that customer support prefer making things up as they go along rather than give accurate answers.

I have that letter too - no need for a new router - no 12 month contract is what it says. Despite that I've now been told verbally that my new contract is for 12 months and I must have a new router !?

Explorer
PoxyPig

Hi, thanks for your help. My O2 contract was for free broadband until March but I got a Sky letter saying that l would be moved on 18 Jan to Sky at £7.50/month. When I queried this I was told that O2 were unable to provide a service after 18 Jan as their equipment would be turned off.

During my phone conversation I was made a good offer which I accepted - it includes line rental and broadband. The MySky page has this package setup exactly as was agreed, but now with a changeover date of 30 Jan.

That leaves me confused as to the changeover date of my broadband (and whether I will indeed get or need a new router).

I have had a lot of emails, some from Sky, some from O2, some from Post Office (my current line provider) and some from a mysterious 'mybroadband'. Frankly I cannot make head or tail of most of them - I am just praying I don't get cut off tomorrow and unable to contact anyone.

Retired Staff Member
amberw94

Hi PoxyPig, 

Thanks for getting back to us. I'm glad to hear you are happy with the offer you were given by Sky. The 30th of Jan may indicate the date that your line rental moves over to Sky. You should not lose your broadband access tomorrow and should still be transferred over to Sky, however if you have any problems please contact us immediately either via this thread or directly so we can look into this for you. 

Thanks, 

Getting There
MarklarRR

Hi,
My broadband was switched over yesterday and since then my o2 router cannot connect to o2_ADSL2plus server. There is a message "Contacting DHCP server...". I have to manually switch connection to o2_ADSL. It fixes the problem with access to internet but my speed is around 8mbps. It should be around 15mbps.
Sky customer service told me that my speed is reduced because they doing some testing on my line. It sounds reasonable but I am still concerned why I have problems with o2_ADSL2plus server.
Retired Staff Member
amberw94

Hi MarklarRR, 

This is correct for the first 10 days after moving to Sky Broadband we test your line to see what top speeds you can receive. This does mean in this period you may experience a change in speeds. 

Thanks, 

Getting There
MarklarRR

Thanks for quick replay. Does it mean after 10 days I will be able to connect to ADSL2plus?
Retired Staff Member
amberw94

Hi MarklarRR,

Thanks for getting back to us. 

As we have taken over O2 broadband and servers I am unsure as to whether we will still be running these servers. 

May I ask if you could take a look to see if this information is detailed here in our O2-Sky Migration FAQ's http://www.sky.com/shop/welcome/faq/ 

For further help you can call our dedicated migration team here http://www.sky.com/shop/welcome/migration/

Thanks, 

Explorer
PoxyPig

The fact that you can't connect with ADSL2+ implies that it is no longer enabled on your line for some reason.

When the equipment at either end of the line is changed there is a period when that new equipment has to learn what speed can be used without undue dropouts. Maybe in your case the initial test showed the line to be unusable for ADSL2+, causing it to be disabled? The O2_ADSL setting is probably a fallback default.
Have you tried resetting your router to it's defaults? I'd save the current setting first though so you can put them back should matters become worse.

Getting There
MarklarRR

[ Edited ]

I have not tried a factory reset yet. Will do it tonight.

According to Sky webpage my speed should be between 11-18mbps

we estimated that the maximum download speed for your line was 11.2Mbps - 18.0Mbps.

Without access to ADSL2+ I will never get this speed. As I understand ADSL is limited to 8mbps for donwload and this is exactly what I have now. 

Just to be clear my package is "Sky Broadband Unlimited".

El Capo
Oliver341

[ Edited ]

MarklarRR wrote:
Thanks for quick replay. Does it mean after 10 days I will be able to connect to ADSL2plus?

No. On O2, ADSL authentication was for PPPoA (for O2 Connect WBC) and ADSL2+ authentication was for IPoA (LLU connections).

Since Sky use PPPoA the O2 router will say "ADSL" but that's actually just the authentication mechanism. The O2 router will synch at maximum speed regardless.

Oliver.
Getting There
MarklarRR

I did reset my router to its factory settings and and my speed (tested on broadbandspeedchecker.co.uk) jumped to 11mbps! Also the Internet light changed from red to green. So far, so good!!!
I am currently connected to O2_ADSL
DSL Connection
DSL Type: ITU-T G.992.5
Bandwidth (Up/Down) [kbps/kbps]: 986 / 15,136