Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Help
Help

Unlimited, Lite & Connect broadband
From Unlimited to Lite our Sky Broadband packages are tailored to your family's needs. For advice in improving your speed, protecting your family online or connecting your device.
Regular Visitor
markandrewjohn

Can I use my O2 router for sky broadband

I was migrated from O2 to Sky yesterday and have been without broadband since, my existing O2 router will only sync for a few moments before disconnecting. After a number of calls to Sky they told me i must have a sky router! oh and it will take 3-5 days to arrive!!!!

There was never any mention of this before the transfer and the material I received and even info online indicates i would be able to use the O2 router.

Can anyone shed further light on this? Am I being told the truth here or is it just sky making things easy for themselves? or have sky messed up here by giving wrong information and then failing to supply routers to O2 customers like me when they should have prior to migrating us?

Stay Safe: Don't post any personal details or Sky account information. Plain text only in this box.
Super User
Mark39

Re Can I use my O2 router for sky broadband

[ Edited ]

Yes, you can only use a Sky router for your Sky broadband service. That's because the user name and password required to connect you to the Sky broadband service are embedded into the firmware of the router. Any other router won't have the necessary user credentials, which is why you're immediately disconnected with the O2 router. Normally the Sky router arrives before your activation date.

Stay Safe: Don't post any personal details or Sky account information. Plain text only in this box.
Community Coordinator
LauraMac

Re Can I use my O2 router for sky broadband

[ Edited ]

Afternoon markandrewjohn,

I am sorry for the delay in replying you. When you sign up to Sky you need to use a Sky router, as you've been transferred over from O2 there is no issue with you using your previous router until the new Sky Hub is received.  To get your connection working as quickly as possible, can you tell me whether or not you were asked to try any troubleshooting such as this

As soon as you come back, I'll be able to help you further

LauraMac
Community Coordinator
Community Welcome, Hints & Tips
Sky Help Centre http://www.sky.com/help

New to the forum? Click here
Tagging your posts and others with relevant key words is another way to help,
it also counts towards forum rank.
Regular Visitor
markandrewjohn

Re: Re Can I use my O2 router for sky broadband

Hi, Thanks for replying. Your view is different to what I've been told by the Sky technical support team.

They did do a line check which came back ok - But that was no surprise I knew that because I had broadband on the O2 service until tuesday 19th when I was moved over. So consequently I've done no other trouble shooting as nothing changed apart from Sky trying to take over the service.

I've logged onto my O2 hub/router which shows connection for max 20secs before disconnects and tries again. It tries to sync at 7-8Mb/s with noise margin 6-8db but my service only used to be stable at around 5.5 Mb/s with 15db noise margin, could this be part of the problem?? Also I was wondering as per previous post how  does the Sky end know who I am I didn't change any logon credentials on the oruter???

You can imagine I'm pretty frustrated :smileymad: (being polite) To be honest I expect better from Sky than this mess.. 

If you can help that would be great otherwise it will be into next week before the Sky Hub arrives.

Community Coordinator
LauraMac

Hi markandrewjohn,

Thank you for coming back to me. I am unsure to why the call centre advised that you couldn't use your O2 router, as we have been made aware that this is the case. Rest assured I will get this flagged up, so that this doesn't happen to any other customers. 

The router no holding connection could be causing an issue, to confirm whether or not this is the case, can you tell me whether or not the internet light on the router changes colour? Do you get a dial tone on your land line?

Speak to you soon.

LauraMac
Community Coordinator

Regular Visitor
markandrewjohn

Hi, The internet light does not illuminate. Yes I have a dialtone on the landline.

Thanks

Senior Member (Diamond)
Oliver341

I left O2 for Sky 3 years ago, and I can confirm that my O2 Wireless Box connects to Sky now.

Any issues could be local to individual exchanges though, I suppose.

Oliver.
Community Coordinator
Andy-F21

Thanks for getting back to me on this markandrewjohn, I'm keen to get this sorted for you :smileyhappy:

I'm going to arrange for a member of our team to look in to this further for you, they'll send you a Private Message at the earliest possible opportunity to request some more details.

If you need anything in the meantime, please feel free to post again and I'll help out.

Thanks,

Andy
Community Coordinator

Community Coordinator
Tricia07

Afternoon markandrewjohn,

I am taking over from Andrew and would like get your Sky Broadband service up and running as quickly as possible. To allow us to look into this further I need you to answer to private message I have just sent you.

If you are having any problems accessing this let me know.

Thanks

Tricia07
Community Coordinator

Regular Visitor
markandrewjohn

It all sounded promising but having just spoken to someone on the Olympus Team they told me, nothing they can do and I'll have to wait for the Sky Hub to arrive.

So it looks like if you have an O2 router then as soon as there is any kind of problem the first step is install a Sky Hub...

Happy Days!
Senior Member (Diamond)
Oliver341

markandrewjohn wrote:
It all sounded promising but having just spoken to someone on the Olympus Team they told me, nothing they can do and I'll have to wait for the Sky Hub to arrive.

That's odd. Have you tried resetting the O2 router to factory defaults using the pin hole at the back?

Oliver.
Regular Visitor
markandrewjohn

Hi I tried the reset this morning, no change..

Here's a copy of the event log which seems to indicate a login failure to the sky network, but I'm no expert on this ...

Error  Nov 23 13:09:39 [CWMP] Connecting to server retry 1.

Info  Nov 23 13:09:33 xDSL linestate down

Error  Nov 23 13:09:33 [CWMP] RTEMS abort socket

Error  Nov 23 13:09:33 [CWMP] Transaction failed, closing connection.

Error  Nov 23 13:09:33 [CWMP] Connection timed out

Warning  Nov 23 13:09:30 PPP link down (O2_ADSL) [46.64.202.87] 

Info  Nov 23 13:09:23 LOGIN wireless station [5c:a3:9d:46:fe:0a] can't get authorized. 

Info  Nov 23 13:09:01 xDSL linestate up (ITU-T G.992.5; downstream: 7634 kbit/s, upstream: 807 kbit/s; output Power Down: 21.4 dBm, Up: 10.6 dBm; line Attenuation Down: 36.0 dB, Up: 20.8 dB; snr Margin Down: 7.0 dB, Up: 8.5 dB)

Info  Nov 23 13:08:34 xDSL linestate down

Error  Nov 23 13:08:32 [CWMP] > Empty Post

Error  Nov 23 13:08:32 [CWMP] < Inform Response

Error  Nov 23 13:08:31 [CWMP] > Inform (4 VALUE CHANGE)

Error  Nov 23 13:08:31 [CWMP] Connected to server, starting transaction.

Error  Nov 23 13:08:30 [CWMP] Connecting to server retry 0.

Warning  Nov 23 13:08:30 PPP link up (O2_ADSL) [46.64.202.87] 

Info  Nov 23 13:08:30 PPP CHAP Chap receive success : authentication ok

Info  Nov 23 13:08:30 PPP CHAP Receive challenge (rhost = sr13.bllon)

Info  Nov 23 13:08:20 LOGIN wireless station [5c:a3:9d:46:fe:0a] can't get authorized.     

Senior Member (Diamond)
Oliver341

That's an interesting log. Mainly because this line:

Warning  Nov 23 13:08:30 PPP link up (O2_ADSL) [46.64.202.87] 

shows you were connected to the internet. Then immediately CWMP (remote settings update) kicks in and your ADSL is dropped.

Oliver.
Regular Visitor
PoxyPig

Re: Can I use my O2 router for sky broadband

I received a pamphlet from Sky that clearly states "there will be no need to change your router - your current one will continue to work". I have also seend similar statements online etc.

I rang to complain about Sky cancelling the free broadband package I had with O2. They agreed an even better deal but did say that I would have to have one of their routers and that they didn't want the O2 one back as it would not work on their network.

It seems Sky's literature isn't always a correct statement!

Occasional Visitor
Simonc0801

Re: Can I use my O2 router for sky broadband

I was supposedly cut over yesterday from o2 to Sky, without internet for over 24hrs now, all the previous contact said seemless !!

Having to wait until get home to retest, but if this isn't fixed today I'll be moving away for sky completely. move to o2 was seemless,