Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Help
Help

Unlimited, Lite & Connect broadband
From Unlimited to Lite our Sky Broadband packages are tailored to your family's needs. For advice in improving your speed, protecting your family online or connecting your device.
Occasional Visitor
PeteD
Accepted Solution

Boosting Wireless Router Performance

Hi All,

My Sky wireless router works fine in the room where it is, however if I want to connect any wireless devices in other rooms, the signal strength is poor to none existent.

How can I boost the strength of my wireless router?

Should I buy a better quality one, but if so, what are the connection settings?

Thanks for you time.

Cheers

Stay Safe: Don't post any personal details or Sky account information. Plain text only in this box.
Super User
caesarome

Re: Boosting Wireless Router Performance

Have you tried changing the wireless channel that your router is broadcasing on because if your neighbour (For example) is using the same channel then there will be a clash which would affect you. To do this login to your router here:

http://192.168.0.1

Username - Admin

Password - Sky

Under the wireless settings you should find the wireless channel, change it and save the change you have made. There are 11 channels in all so keep trying to see if that improves things.

__________________________________________________________________________________________.

If someone has helped you then please click on the LIKES button in their post.
I do not work for Sky.
Stay Safe: Don't post any personal details or Sky account information. Plain text only in this box.
Occasional Visitor
PeteD

Mine is the only network in range, so would changing the channel make any difference?

Super User
caesarome

No I wouldn't have thought so as it wouldn't be clashing with anything nearby but there is no harm in trying.

__________________________________________________________________________________________.

I do not work for Sky.
Community Coordinator
michael-r

Hi PeteD,

I would also ensure that the broadband box is connected to your master socket of your landline. Ideally, this would be situated within a hall or livingroom, as these are normally the most central points of the house. Having the broadband box in a central area of the premises will most evenly distribute the wireless signal and give you the best chance of picking up a better wireless signal.

I would also suggest searching the internet for any hints and tips in router positioning that may provide you with an enhanced wireless signal. There are products on the market that can be set up with devices that will improve the distribution and reception of a wireless signal as well.

Michael
Community Coordinator
Community Welcome, Hints & Tips
Sky Help Centre http://www.sky.com/help

New to the forum? Click here
Tagging your posts and others with relevant key words is another way to help,
it also counts towards forum rank.
Occasional Visitor
Thomas+Anderson

I too have a similar problem. Our Sky router is plugged into the main phone socket on the top floor but the signal does not reach the other end of the house. I guess this is due to supporting walls. I find the answer suggesting that there are things that I might do to boost the signal as frustratingly interesting as the answer is so vague. I would like suggestions on what sort of kit I might buy and how it might relate to the Sky rouer I have currently, which works very well for the rooms next to and beneath it.

Occasional Visitor
paulwhkh

What products for extending the signal does Sky support or suggest? Presumably they are not all compatible with Sky?

Regular Visitor
dissatisfied

I wish I had read this forum before switching to Sky. Having had various BT routers over the years I had no idea a wireless signal could be so weak. I can now only get an internet signal in the same room as the router...not even through a plasterboard wall into the bedroom, whereas my Homehub worked all over my flat even through the 'thick and shiny objects' most people have in their homes. I have a terminal illness and don't know how much longer I'll be able to get out of bed to use my laptop, smartphone etc. Apart from trying a phone extension socket in the bedroom has anyone any other ideas?

Community Coordinator
Robert

Hi All,

The wireless signal can be affected by several factors, if you haven't already tried the following steps please read our handy guide to get the best out of your Wireless Router.

Click here for more information and troubleshooting steps.

Sky does not recommend or support the use of non-supplied equipment such as wireless extenders or other routers, however the community may be able to provide assistance based on experience. We cannot assist with any issues that arise when using these set-ups.

Robert
Community Coordinator
Community Welcome, Hints & Tips
Sky Help Centre http://www.sky.com/help

New to the forum? Click here
Tagging your posts and others with relevant key words is another way to help,
it also counts towards forum rank.
Regular Visitor
nemesio

I have just signed up with Sky Broadband and Sky HD and the engineer installed the router to the sky HD box to get Anytime + - So... does that mean that the router has to stay within cable's length of the sky hd box? I notice the broadband going very slow when I am upstairs in a bedroom trying to get a signal..

Can you advise please? 

Super User
caesarome

If you want to get Anytime+ on your HD box then it has to be connected to your router via a cable or via wireless (but you have to buy a bit of kit from sky for £60 to do this). The only other option for you would be to buy some powerline connects which would sent the internet via the main electric supply in your house which would allow you to connect everything up.

I do not work for Sky.
Visitor
mgeni

What an interesting reply. Never had the problem with weak signal whilst I was with BT, so cannot be the environment!!.

Will just have to wait for the contract period to end before going back to BT.

Robert wrote:

Hi All,

The wireless signal can be affected by several factors, if you haven't already tried the following steps please read our handy guide to get the best out of your Wireless Router.

Click here for more information and troubleshooting steps.

Sky does not recommend or support the use of non-supplied equipment such as wireless extenders or other routers, however the community may be able to provide assistance based on experience. We cannot assist with any issues that arise when using these set-ups.

Occasional Visitor
trickboxes

our router is plugged into the main telephone socket, we have had trouble for the last 3 weeks whereby my son cannot get a signal in his bedroom, it has always worked upstairs before, also his download speeds for the last few weeks have been very slow, the router itself is red hot on both sides it has actually made a split in the wood on the window sill, we have to keep unplugging it to let it cool down before we go back on the internet, will sky supply me with a new one ?  i'm unplugging the thing everytime i go out in case it sets the house on fire, i rang sky and the girl i spoke to yesterday said she couldn't deal with me now as the sky net work had gone down and shge was trying to sort other customers out

Occasional Visitor
Sambo11

excellent thanks for the help..!!

Occasional Visitor
LincolnImp

It seems to me that the routers provided by Sky are inferior to the ones BT supply its customers. I have always had problems with my wifi connection. I am connected into the telephone socket, filters installed on all phone lines and the router is upstairs and the wireless signal strength is good. But when sat directly beneath the router downstairs I only get 3 to 4 bars. But if I then move towards the back of the house probably no more than 9 metres from directly under the router I only get 2 bars and frequently the signal drops and I lose broadband connection. But sannnoyingly a neighbour down the road from the front of my house a distance of 50 metres I get a substantially stronger signal from his BT router. I also get signals from other broadband suppliers and my SKY broadband is the weakest.

I was considering buying a second SKY router to connect to my phone line and locate it at the back of my house. Would this work? If so what phone connection do I connect into does it have to be the main phone point? I would really appreciate any help on this issue.