Help
Help

Talk & line rental
Sky Talk offers a range of packages to keep you in touch with family and friends. If you need technical help or want to discover the range of Sky Talk features available.
Occasional Visitor
excustomer

Phone line has no dialing tone but internet works fine.

My phone has no dialing tone but the internet works fine. I've done all the troubleshooting tests and checked that the phone works at my neighbours. I've been down this raod before with internet, tv AND broadband and I don't want the usual runaround. Just fix it and stop charging me for a non existent service. I expect it to be fixed within 3 days or I will cancel my subscription. I'm fed up with sky's terrible service.

Stay Safe: Don't post any personal details or Sky account information. Plain text only in this box.
Community Coordinator
Chris-McP

Re: Phone line has no dialing tone but internet works fine.

[ Edited ]

Hello @excustomer,

I am genuinely sorry to see you having these issues. Quite a strange little one it is too, having Broadband running okay but no dial tone is unusual. If you have been through all of the troubleshooting I will escalate this issue for you and we'll get to the bottom of it. 

Would that be okay?

Chris-McP
Community Coordinator
Community Welcome, Hints & Tips
Sky Help Centre http://www.sky.com/help

New to the forum? Click here
Tagging your posts and others with relevant key words is another way to help,
it also counts towards forum rank.
Stay Safe: Don't post any personal details or Sky account information. Plain text only in this box.
Occasional Visitor
excustomer

An engineer came out and fixed the faulty connection. Now the internet is sporadic. It seems we're not to have TV, phone and internet all working at the same time. It must be difficult. What to do, is check how often the internet/phone/tv aren't working, and deduct the amount from my overpriced bill. Meanwhile, I'll be looking to change my supplier. I spend more time complaining to sky than using their service.

Occasional Visitor
jake11

[ Edited ]

i too have internet and tv but phone not working.  the phone will ring but when i answer it , there is no answer and i have no dial tone.  can not make or receive calls

Occasional Visitor
newyear

Hello I Have the same problem that phone line has no dialing tone but internet works fine. BT said the line is fine (who I rent the line off) but sky also say that skytalk is working. What can you do - as this seems to be a problem reported by sky customers - please could you fix.

Lauras2766

I seem to be having this problem as well, internet and tv fine but no dial tone even if phone rings? im based in west london

Occasional Visitor
Laker32

Nightmare day thanks to Sky. Phone not working since Thurs, no dial tone & can't make calls. Called help desk from mobile (15min wait to be answered) did all checks, told need engineer. Booked for today (Sat) between 8am to 1pm. Cancelled arrangements so here for engineer. Didn't show so called Sky at 1:05pm. Told engineers had to cancel me. Asked why nobody had the courtesy to call me (they had my mobile) was told they had tried me at 1:15 pm but my mobile was busy! I said yes I was calling you to find out where you are & was on hold AGAIN for over 10mins at my expense! Was then told engineer wouldn't be out til Mon afternoon! No apologies for wasting my day or money in calls, of course. I said I'd be at work so would need them here after 4:30 was told could only get appt 1 til 6pm. Said no, as I've wasted all day today surely you can accommodate this. After being told no I asked for a manager. Was told there wasn't one available! Asked when there would be, was told he was in a meeting til 6pm! Bear in mind it's about 1:30pm now on a Sat! Asked if she thought I was stupid but just told her to get "Colin" the manager to call me at 6. At 6:20pm a "Kegan" calls me - apparently Colin haas gone home sick. To summarise, Kegan will not give me an appt after 4:30 for Mon so I compromise again (are you getting this, me again compromising, not Sky)and say ok he will need to call my mobile 30mins beforehand & I will leave work to be here. You've guessed it, they won't do that as they can't guarantee it, I have to be here 1 til 6!!!! I asked how, on a Sat afternoon, I could arrange time off for Mon afternoon, but of course it's not their problem is it? I was told I could book for th following Sat so I asked if that was acceptable to be without incoming or outgoing calls for 9 days? So, after having a Sky problem (which having read the forums I can see is a common one) , waiting for 5hrs for an engineer to no -show, not getting a call to say they weren't coming, not being able to get a call before the next engineer comes, once my phone IS fixed my first call will be to BT to go back to them, the second will be to Virgin to see their offers for satellite. Have been with Sky 13 yrs, have tv, phone, broadband, hd, sports etc but their service with phones in particular is awful & "service" from phone staff is appalling.
Visitor
mmanley

I also have a similar problem. No dial tone and unable to make or receive calls, but my internet is still just about working, all be it at only 1.5mbps, normally around 12mbps. :smileymad:

Community Coordinator
Ross-M

Afternoon mmanley, 

Sorry for the delay in getting back to you. This is not good to see you have no dial tone. 

So I can assist you further with this matter can you please complete the No Dial Tone troubleshooting steps please? Please let me know if there is any reported outages affecting your services, you can check this here

Thanks, 

Ross
Community Coordinator

DonnaH505

I have also had this problem for around 2 weeks and have gone through all of the checks to no avail. Have taken the phone round to the in-laws and that works fine. So can only assume the problem is with the line. It appears to be next to impossible to contact sky regarding this as I can't phone (not working) and the internet chat is constantly busy. Please advise on how I can arrange to get this sorted out.
Visitor
PJMW

[ Edited ]

I have the exact same problem, lost any phone connection last Thursday or Friday. No dialling tone, no incoming calls, nothing.

Have tried different phone in the socket, no use.

Broadband still works but is slower than usual.

Have tried numerous times to contact Sky via LiveChat but it is always busy.

Please help.

Community Coordinator
Megan.B

Hi DonnaH505 and PJMW,

Thanks for getting back to us.

Have you both tried taking the faceplate off and plugging your phone directly into the test socket as shown on the No Dial Tone page that Ross linked you to?

When you do this do you get a dial tone?

Regards,

Megan
Community Coordinator

Visitor
PJMW

Hi Megan

I don't have a test socket: there is no line across the socket.

I have tried a different phone in the socket and it makes no difference.

If I phone our number from my mobile it appears to be ringing but no sound comes from the phone and there is no dial tone  when you try to call out.

PJMW

Occasional Visitor
Laker32

Well I have the opposite now! We had no phone for over a week last year.  Sky said it was a BT fault, BT said it was a Sky fault. I could see from all the forums messages at the time that it was obviously a Sky problem as so many people had it, just like it seems is happening now.  My phone was eventually fixed by a BT chap doing something on the exchange for me but it WAS a Sky problem.  All this weekend we've had REALLY slow broadband.  I tried to download a 1 hour show from On Demand but gave up when it was still downloading after 1 hour! This does seem to happen in waves, everyone in an area has no phone or no broadband or none of either for a week to 2 weeks, Sky denies all knowledge, has no extra staff on to answer calls, you wait forever (on your mobile phone as you can't ring out) then don't get compensation for no service for 2 wks! We've been customers of Sky for 14yrs - have multi-room, HD, Sky Sports as well as phone & broadband but we're going to move to Virgin. The last straw (after the phone issues) was a few wks ago when we asked why we didn't have HD on our Sports channels any more.  We were told that was only for the 1st 6months of paying for HD then we need to pay extra!  So we already pay for Sky Sports, already pay for HD, already pay for multi-room & they want more? Mr. Branson sends us literature about joining him every month as we have Virgin fibre optic in our area so I'll be calling him very soon (whilst my phone still works!!)

Community Coordinator
Gemma-H

Hi there PJMW, 

Thank you very much for replying to Megan. 

Can you please send me a Private Message so that I can help you further?

Many Thanks, 

Gemma
Community Coordinator