Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Help
Help

Sky boxes
Your Sky Box is a gateway to a world of entertainment from Sky. From getting set up and getting the most from your equipment to resolving technical queries.
Visitor
Shadwell

"Your Sky+ HD box is initialising. Please Wait".

I had to unplug my box last night. About 30 mins after I did this my sky box did an update and ever since I have not been able to see my Planner or Anytime etc. I ave lost all my recordings and can not pause stop, rewind or record anything. All I get is a message saying "Your Sky+ HD box is initialising. Please Wait".... I've tried waiting and nothing happens!

I have a Amstrad

Model - R003.047.25.00P

Version - 4F3002

Any ideas about what I should do next?

Stay Safe: Don't post any personal details or Sky account information. Plain text only in this box.
Super User
kato

Re: "Your Sky+ HD box is initialising. Please Wait".

See if rebooting the box helps.First turn your box off at the mains for 5 minutes,turn back on and wait another 4 minutes then retry.

___________________________________________________________________________________________

If you have been helped by someone please click on the thumbs up icon to give them Likes.
Stay Safe: Don't post any personal details or Sky account information. Plain text only in this box.
Visitor
Shadwell

Hi Kato,

Yes rebooted numerous times, with hard power down, no difference.

Also powered down and up holding backup button on box to reload software, completed this twice and no change.

Its amazing how much we have learned to rely on Sky+ etc. still trying to pause TV but can't !

Getting fed up and suppose i will have to look at purchasing another box or changing TV suppliers for a new one.

Its anoying as I know its been auto upgraded via ethernet that has caused the issue.

But what can we do ?

Any other last resorts are welcomed.

Super User
kato

Carry out this procedure.If you have already done the first part proceed with the second.

1. Power the box off at the mains power supply.

3. Locate the backup button on the front/top of the box.

4. Press and hold in the Backup button, and while doing this switch the box back on at the mains supply.

5. Continue to hold the Backup button after you have powered on, you should see within 60 seconds 3 more lights come on the front of the box? At this stage you can release the Backup button.

6. If you have 4 lights lit, it means the box is going through the forced download procedure. Leave for 15 minutes then try to see if your Issue is resolved.

If that fails then the next step will be a front panel reset (This will reformat the hard drive losing all saved recordings):

1. Power the box off at the mains power supply.

2. Locate the left and right arrow buttons either side of the select button on the front/top of the box.

3. Press and hold both the left and right arrow buttons in together, and while holding power the box back on and continue to hold the buttons after the red light comes back on.

4. Continue to hold the buttons, you should see within 60 seconds, the blue/green circle light in the centre of the box light up a full circle.

5. Let go the buttons then press select button on the box twice.

6. You should see the blue/green circle light moving anti-clockwise and the record and play lights in the centre flashing on/off.

7. Once the lights go off, the box will have rebooted and you will now only have the red standby light lit on the box.

8. If you can now wait 2 minutes before switching the box back on from standby to see if the fault has resolved

___________________________________________________________________________________________

If you have been helped by someone please click on the thumbs up icon to give them Likes.
Visitor
Shadwell

Hi Kato,

Yes, the total reformat was my next move.

And Thanks, that seems to of resolved the issue, obviously lost all previous recordings but hey, so what.

Just to let you know when re-formatting my box, a bit more detail on item 4.

4. Continue to hold the buttons, you should see within 60 seconds, the blue/green circle light in the centre of the box light up a full circle -

NOTE: The blue circle light starts flashing on and off, then after select is pressed twice and both centre lights come on the circle still falshes on and off until going into standby, also very quick procedure, literally took 30sec to complete.

Not bad for a harddrive re-format, I expected longer.

thanks again, you have made my Sunday !

Cheers

Occasional Visitor
cokentizer

After only 6 weeks I feel ready to throw my new Sky+HD box in the dustbin. Initially everything worked fine until about 2 weeks ago. I was watching a recorded programme when suddenly the picture freezes. I press FF & Rew and all seems to be ok for a short while until it does it again. After a while I decided to delete that particular programme and watch something else I've recorded. The same thing happens again and I go through the same process until all is working fine again. The next problem is record failure and this happens time and time again.

Since then I've been through reset on more than one occasion, after showing initialising. Please wait" message. I've also done a total rebuild 3 times as per the instructions on here,  It now appears that the blue light in the centre continues to flash around in reverse while the other 2 lights remain on steady..... No matter what I do from switching off and power on again etc etc nothing seems to stop it from going round. I'm also getting a "No satelite signal"

Any help on this subject would be a better positive rather than the dustbin or I blow my top.... Thanks Mick

Retired Staff Member
Anne-M

Hi cokentizer, 

First of all I would like to apologise for the delay in getting back to you and to welcome you to the forum. 

It sounds like the hard drive is having problems and if the planner rebuild is not working, unfortunately the next step would be to carry out a full system reset. This reset will delete all planned/existing and series links that you have in your planner, so I would suggest trying to watch and/or copy programmes that you would like to keep onto an external device. 

Can you let me know how you get on after the full system reset?

Thanks, 

Anne
Community Coordinator
Community Welcome, Hints & Tips
Sky Help Centre http://www.sky.com/help

New to the forum? Click here
Tagging your posts and others with relevant key words is another way to help,
it also counts towards forum rank.
Regular Visitor
PHill57

[ Edited ]

ive tried the 1st reset/update and lost ALL channels/planner/anytime

retried the reset and it's given me back my channels but am back to the 'initialising' , guess the reset is next move :smileysad:

Update:
managed to reset box via menu - am not able to record/pause or play else the box freezes or i get the "Your Sky+ HD box is initialising. Please Wait" Message - pretty useless on a sky+ box :smileysad: but i can atleast see programs again

Retired Staff Member
Anne-M

Hi PHill57, 

The box can show this message if you are trying to access the planner when it is rebooting. If you haven't tried to access the planner for 3-4 minutes after you have done a reset/planner rebuild/full system reset or software download, can you try this procedure:

• Put your box into standby by pressing the power button on the remote control or the box itself.
  • Power the box off at the mains power supply.
  • Locate the backup button on the top of the box.
  • Press and hold in the Backup button, and whilst holding this button in, switch the box back on at the mains supply.
  • Continue to hold the Backup button after you have powered on, you should see within 60 seconds 3 more lights come on the front of the box? At this stage you can release the Backup button.
  • If you have 4 lights lit, it means the box is going through the forced download procedure. Leave for 15 minutes then try to see if your Issue is resolved.

Thanks, 

Anne
Community Coordinator

Occasional Visitor
Nathan+Harvie

I cannot thank you enough for this info within 10 minutes everything was back to normal :smileyvery-happy:

Regular Visitor
PHill57

Hi, I've tried all three of the reset options now with the older software and the newer one and its just not worked, thank you for your help :smileyhappy:

Retired Staff Member
Anne-M

Hi Phill57,

Sorry to hear that you are still having problems with your box.

Can you let me know what the version and model number is of your Sky+HD box? You can find this out by pressing services on the remote control, followed by numbers 0 then 3.

Thanks,
Anne
Community Coordinator

Occasional Visitor
Carroll89

I am having the same issue with sky + box initialising. I have recently moved the sky box into a different room that already had a sky plus connection. It was working untill today. I have tried box in another room and it works fine.
Retired Staff Member
batweb79

Hi Carroll89,

Welcome to the forum.

I'm sorry for the delay in getting back to you. If the box works when you move it to a different room the fault must lie with either the cabling to that room or the signal being sent to that room.

Either way you would require and engineer to fix the issue.

Thanks,

Barry
Community Coordinator

Occasional Visitor
Deano86

This really helped I phoned sky three times and they were no use one lady was very rude and they said I would have to pay 65 gap for an engineer. The front panel reset worked within 10 mins and have my channels back. Why was I not talked through the front panel reset on the phone?