Help
Help

Sky Yahoo Mail
Occasional Visitor
carldevonport

sky windows live email settings

this is getting me really frustrated now!  so many discussions and post relating to this.  can anyone offer me a simple solution?

recently moved to sky from virgin and i use windows live e-mail with an @ntlworld.com e-mail address.  still receiving e-mails to this address but unable to send.  i have set up a @sky.com email address and tried adding account to live and adjusted settings to forward from sky mail but still can not send.  what can i do to continue using windows live to send and recieve e-mails?  if need be i can lose the ntlworld address and change to sky.com but still need settings to do this.

thanks

Stay Safe: Don't post any personal details or Sky account information. Plain text only in this box.
Super User
caesarome

Re: sky windows live email settings

The settings for Sky email can be found here:

http://helpforum.sky.com/t5/Sky-Email-Tools/Email-Settings/td-p/1773/jump-to/first-unread-message

Your username when it is asked fore is your full sky email address including the @sky.com bit.

__________________________________________________________________________________________.

If someone has helped you then please click on the LIKES button in their post.
I do not work for Sky.
Stay Safe: Don't post any personal details or Sky account information. Plain text only in this box.
AGS
Occasional Visitor
AGS

Hi.
I have recently changed provider from Orange to Sky.
I have a new Sky e-mail account/Sky ID, however I want to keep my old e-mail address (as I was told I could), where I receive mail in Windows Live mail.
I can set up the Live Mail account details so that any mail that would be addressed to me via Sky can be received in that program; but there seems to be no information/help pages that definitively spell out how to continuing receiving mail via my old e-mail address.
So, basically-
anybody knowwhat the procedure is to setup Windows Live Mail with my old e-mail address, now that Sky is my provider?  The ability to do this was a big factor in me switching provider.
Thanks in advance.

Super User
caesarome

I have just replied to your other post on this.

__________________________________________________________________________________________.

I do not work for Sky.
Occasional Visitor
carldevonport

still not working.  can receive my old ntlworld emails but cannot send from sky.com.  i have changed all these settings but still no luck!  when sending it trys to send from ntlworld 1st and i can see sky.com 2nd.  i assume the ntlworld one will never go therefore blocking the sky one sending. 

is there any instruction where i can start from scratch?  changed so many settings and read so many forums - sending me potty.

never had this problem with VM!

Super User
caesarome

Do you get an error message when it try's to send via the ntl world server ?

You will not be able to send ntl world emails via the sky server.

I do not work for Sky.
Occasional Visitor
debbie+collier

I have an ntl email and since movng to sky can't access it through virgin media site it won't accept the password.  I phone virgin media and my account with them has been closed but I assumed the email account would still run.    So I set it up in outlook to receive and send emails.  

It will receive emails but not send them, it keeps giving me an error message :

Unable to logon to the server using Secure Password Authentication. Account: 'pop.ntlworld.com', Server: 'pop.ntlworld.com', Protocol: POP3, Server Response: '-ERR Protocol error.', Port: 110, Secure(SSL): No, Server Error: 0x800CCC90, Error Number: 0x800CCC18

It wants a password and I have tried the one that ntl gave me in the first place etc and it rejects it.  

Sky told me to ring virgin media, and virgin media said ring sky.

I haven't set up a sky email yet, if I did I would want my ntl emails to go through it but then that means having another email account and letting everybody know.  I am lost .. anybody know if there is a resolution to this ?

thanks

Super User
caesarome

I think you need to find out if your email account is still active, for example can you log into the account online, if not then it probably has been closed.

I do not work for Sky.
Occasional Visitor
Bloobell

I'm having the same issue.

I have an old Talk Talk email account which still works in Windows Live Mail when I'm in the office by simply changing the Outgoing mail (SMTP) setting to smtp.spitfireuk.net. By doing this I can both send and receive without any issues.

I recently changed to Sky for my phone and broadband and want to carry on using my Talk Talk email account from home.

I thought this could be done simply by changing the Outgoing mail (SMTP) setting to smtp.tools.sky.com but although I can still receive I can't send or reply.

Surely this can't be complicated and surely I don't have to change to my Sky email address?

Super User
caesarome

Bloobell wrote:

I thought this could be done simply by changing the Outgoing mail (SMTP) setting to smtp.tools.sky.com but although I can still receive I can't send or reply.

It doesn't work like this as you have found out because you can only send sky emails via this sky server. Can you not use the talk talk one or the spitfireuk.net one ?

I do not work for Sky.
Occasional Visitor
Bloobell

As I said previously I used to switch between smtp.spitfireuk.net and mail.talktalk.net in my Outmail settings, depending on whether I was at home or in the office.

Windows Live Mail was quite happy sending and receiving.

If I had someone in my house who didn't have a Talk Talk email address they could just switch their Outmail setting as above and work away no problem.

If I'm understanding this thread correctly emails cannot be sent in Windows Live Mail from my house unless you have a Sky email account and that just can't be right.

Senior Member (Diamond)
Oliver341

Bloobell wrote:

If I'm understanding this thread correctly emails cannot be sent in Windows Live Mail from my house unless you have a Sky email account and that just can't be right.

So what happens if you change your smtp outgoing settings to use the talktalk or spitfireuk servers?

Oliver.
Senior Member (Gold)
Mr+Slant

[ Edited ]

There appears to be a deal of confusion over this.

Its really quite simple :

1) If you send email via the Sky email server then the from/reply-to fields must be a valid Sky email address;

2) If you send email via another commercial mail provider (eg gmail) then you simply continue as normal;

3) If you send email via another ISP's email server then its likely you will have to use authenticated smtp (same username and password as for collecting mail) as you are no longer a customer (also for the reasons in 4) ). Some ISPs don't offer that option, in which case you are out of luck;

4) If you send email directly (ie you run your own internet-facing mailserver) then you are going to have problems. The reason is that the IP address ranges Sky customers use are all clearly marked as dynamic IP addresses - nobody with the slightest clue about running email servers accept outbound connections from a mailserver running on dynamic IP address ranges.

If you are in any way serious about using email then you should have your own domain anyway. I think I get charged about £10 a year for a domain and email hosting - its a trivial amount anyway and can probably be had cheaper these days. That way your email stays the same regardless of ISP.

HTH.

Super User
caesarome

Bloobell wrote:

Sorry but that is completely wrong. You don't have to have a sky email account to be able to send emails as you are free to use hoever you want hence my earlier suggestion.

You can only send sky emails via the sky server.

I do not work for Sky.
Visitor
fringilla

Worked a treat . Well done , mate !!!!!!!!!!!