Help
Help

Sky Yahoo Mail
Community Manager
Nichola76
Accepted Solution

FIX Emails going into trash folder

[ Edited ]

If you have this issue please read - Emails are going straight to trash in Sky Yahoo! Mail, or go to trash shortly after arriving in their inbox.

Root cause: 

If you are using a mail application such as Outlook, or another mail service, using POP, to access and download your emails from your Sky Y! Mailbox. POP has a setting that either keeps a copy of the email in the inbox of the mailbox on the mail server after it has been downloaded, or deletes the copy of the email from the inbox after it has been downloaded, and  moves it to the trash folder of the mailbox on the mail server.

Why has this changed when we moved from Sky Email on Google Gmail to Sky Yahoo! Mail on Yahoo!

Gmail has settings that controls how the mail server should behave when a POP client is connecting to it. (screenshot attached ... setting 2. When messages are accessed with POP)

image001.png

By default, this setting is 'keep Sky Mail's copy in the inbox' when the mailbox is created for the customer.

This setting tells Google to ignore what the POP client is telling it to do, and always keep the messages in the inbox when they are deleted. 

The setting on a POP client will look something like this (this shot is from Microsoft Outlook for Mac 2011). If leave a copy of each message on the server is checked, emails will be kept in the inbox when they're downloaded (unless they are deleted by the customer - see sub-setting below). If its not checked then the email will be deleted on download.

image002.png  

Sky Yahoo! Mail has no equivalent setting to Google. It always trusts the POP client and does what it is told to do. 

So when we moved from Sky Email to Sky Yahoo! Mail on the 4th April, any customer who had didn't have 'Leave a copy of each message on server' set, will have seen all their new emails moved to trash in Sky Yahoo! Mail each time a POP client they have authorised connects to their mailbox held by the mailserver.  

You may also have lost the emails in the inbox as Yahoo! will automatically delete the contents of each mailboxes trash folder from time to time.

Over time, you may use multiple devices and mail applications, and 3rd party mailboxes if they have different email addresses, to access their inbox on Sky Yahoo! Mail. You may not remember if you have set up a POP client previously. However, this is the most likely cause of this issue.

Are there any other explanations ?

Yes, but these are edges cases. You may have set up a filter in mail settings to move their emails from one folder, e.g. the inbox, to another folder, trash. Filters/rules in Google were not copied to Sky Yahoo! mail so if you have these they will need to be defined.

How do we stop this from happening ?

Go into the POP clients the customer is currently using and change the setting so that emails are always left on the mail server after they have been downloaded.

If this does not work, it could be because there is a POP client that has not been changed. In this case, change your password in MySky here. This will change the password in Sky Yahoo! Mail and stop POP clients (& IMAP clients) connecting to the mailbox. 

Wait 1-2 minutes to make sure the password has been successfully copied to Sky Yahoo! Mail. If you are unsure you can check this for yourself by logging in to Sky Yahoo! Mail independently of Sky.com. To do this you need to enter the web address: https://sky.mail.yahoo.com?nr=1.

Afterwards you will need to change the password in each mail client you are using to restore access to their mailbox for these mail applications.

If you have lost your emails because trash has been emptied, then you can retrieve old emails prior to 4th April by going to: http://services.sky.com/services/oldskyemail. You may have lost emails since the 4th April if your mailbox trash has been emptied by Sky Yahoo! Mail. These can NOT be restored.

Addition information on this topic can be found here

Nichola
Community Manager
Forum Help http://helpforum.sky.com/t5/help/faqpage
Sky Help Centre http://www.sky.com/help

New to the forum? Click here
Tagging your posts and others with relevant key words is another way to help,
it also counts towards forum rank.

Please do not post any personal details or account information. Please use plain text.
Frequent Visitor
roeken50

emails going to inbox then straight to trash on my ipad2

From this morning when i accessed my email via my ipad2 stuff that was in my inbox automatically transfered into the trash folder. This is happening to via gmail on my laptop. What is going on and will this continue or will it be sorted anyway soon. Have tried all my options but cant avail of a do not delete from server option. This sucks!

Please do not post any personal details or account information. Please use plain text.
Visitor
Taichimonkee

Re: emails going to inbox then straight to trash on my ipad2

Yep... I'm having this problem too & it's really annoying! Keep moving them back to the inbox & then 20 seconds later they're back in the trash... any ideas anyone?

Visitor
Mrs+Grumpy

Don't know if this helps but I was getting no email on my ipad at all.

I went into Settings/Mail Contacts, Calendars and had to create a "Yahoo" email account as the Sky account had previously been on as an "Exchange" account.   This was on my ipad 4 - can;t vouch for the ipad2.

Frequent Visitor
The+Devil+Within

Sky Yahoo! email - Trash v Inbox?

So...it seems the rules according to Sky are that when the emails that were within the inbox of the previous Skymail are migrated to Sky Yahoo! mail, 95% of them are now deemed as "Trash"? Despite never have been deleted.

Now I have already gone through Thunderbird to get rid of all duplicates and previously deleted emails that graciously appeared today, however it appears that if I move the Sky Yahoo emails now in "Trash" back to their rightful place in the "inbox" they will all be sent to Thunderbird again...err...again.

I suppose I could just delete everything from Sky Yahoo email and start from scratch.

I'm lucky...I've only been using Skymail in anger for a couple of months or so. I feel for you guys that have got thousands and thousands of emails to go through / delete / move etc. etc.

Best of British luck to you!

SKY MAIL = EPIC FAIL

Frequent Visitor
roeken50

Yeah i deleted my original account and set it up again using others and skys settings from their help page its an IMAP account using the push service but still encountering same problem. Seems to be loads of other users with same issues out there. Come on sky/yahoo help us out!!!!

Occasional Visitor
Felto

Re: emails going to inbox then straight to trash

[ Edited ]

My new Yahoo mail goes straight to the trash folder not my inbox. How can  change this?

Solosheep

Yahoo moving mail to trash

Hi

First time post. So far today I have moved my emails from my my trash folder to my inbox about 5 times. Why does yahoo mail keep moving them back and how can I stop it doing this. Otherwise all is working ok on my ipad/iphone.
Occasional Visitor
Quantum+Tred

Re: Yahoo moving mail to trash

How do i stop my emails going straight to trash?

Solosheep

It's gone again!! Someone must have an answer for this?? Sky????
Mhc
Frequent Visitor
Mhc

Yes, doing the same for me.
Solosheep

Sky are you running away from these issues???
Frequent Visitor
The+Devil+Within

Reported the same thing two hours ago.

Stupidly I decided to open Thunderbird again......Oh joy....hundreds of emails I had already got rid off...twice today.

SKY...This is a JOKE.

I feel a Virgin is necessary!

Solosheep

Yet more people! How can we get mails when they go to the trash bin! This basic sky
Occasional Visitor
affeni

yes me too its doing m yhead in has any one got an answer for this yet? also people sending me emails keep getting them returned mailer demon!!! whats that all about then?