Help
Help

Sky WiFi
Sky WiFi - Keeping You Connected When You're out and About This is our discussion area for Sky WiFi customers. So if you have been using one of our many available
Sky WiFi hotspots then tell us about it here.
Regular Visitor
david1983

Wifi problem with sky hub and Samsung galaxy s3

Hi,
Recently changed over to sky broadband and received a new sky hub router, which works fine with my laptop and other laptops in the house but when using my Samsung galaxy s3 the wifi does not work very well. It does not load web pages and when it does work it is very slow to do so.
The S3 works fine on other wifi networks and it used to work fine on my Netgear router that I used with my previous ISP.
Any suggestions on how to fix this?
Many thanks.
Stay Safe: Don't post any personal details or Sky account information. Plain text only in this box.
Occasional Visitor
MaggieMoo04

Re: Wifi problem with sky hub and Samsung galaxy s3

I have just been informed by Sky, that they do not support the Kindle or S3's. You will need to contact Samsung for the settings.  Load of tosh I believe.  Mine worked fine, prior to migration 4 weeks ago.

Stay Safe: Don't post any personal details or Sky account information. Plain text only in this box.
Regular Visitor
david1983

Hi,

Just off the phone to Sky customer services regarding the above problem.

They were very polite but not very helpful in resolving the problem,was told to contact Samsung as they do not support these devices!

When I asked them to supply me with my Sky broadband username and password so I could put them in my Netgear router and do away with the sky hub, they said that they do not hold that information! 

So if they don't hold them, who does? Load of rubbish.

I have never been provided with them as the sky hub came pre-programmed all i had to do was plug it into the phone line, no set up required.

Having read other articles online sky only want you to use there hub not your own one.

Does anyone know how I can set up my netgear router on my sky broadband ? Or how to obtain the info required from the sky hub router???

Wish I'd stuck with my old ISP.

Retired Staff Member
GRF4784

Hi All,

Thanks for posting.

I have a an S3 and can assure you that it connects to my Sky Hub without any issues, I haven't been told that there was a known problem with this so I'm very confused right now. The reason Sky can't provide you with the correct settings to use your own router is because we are unable to offer you any support if you have an issue with a non Sky router.

Have you all been in contact with Samsung? If so, could you tell us what you were advised?

Cheers,

Regular Visitor
david1983

Hi,

Yes have been in contact with Samsung and was advised that the problem must lie with the Sky hub as the phone works fine on all other networks therefore not an issue with the phone.

If Sky could only use a bit of common sense and provide me with my broadband username and password I could simply set-up my old netgear router and use that (which works fine with my phone & also provides better range) the problem would be solved.

If I develop a broadband fault or need technical advice I could simply plug in the Sky Hub when contacting customer services.

However Sky refuse to do so, so now I am going to have to live with this problem for the next 12 months until I can change ISP.

Community Coordinator
lainys

Hello david1983.

Thanks for getting back to us however, I can only repeat what you have already been told I'm afraid.

We do not support Samsung devices and are unable to give you the information  you want.

I'm really sorry however the terms and conditions do state that you use your Sky router . Please click on the link below to read all Broadband terms and conditions.

3. The Wireless Router 

(d) Sky Broadband must only be accessed via your Wireless Router. Your Wireless Router is not supplied as being capable of being used to access any other internet service.

Kind Regards

Lainys
Community Coordinator
Community Welcome, Hints & Tips
Sky Help Centre http://www.sky.com/help

New to the forum? Click here
Tagging your posts and others with relevant key words is another way to help,
it also counts towards forum rank.
Occasional Visitor
MaggieMoo04

Isn't it funny though that prior to migration 4 weeks ago mine worked fine. Think I'm going to find a new isp too David.
Regular Visitor
david1983

Very disappointed with the level of customer service from Sky on this one, supply you with a poor quality router that doesn't work properly then when you complain they fob you off with the unsupported device script.
If this is an uncommon problem perhaps it is a faulty router. In which case can sky send me a new one to try?
Look forward to your reply.
Retired Staff Member
Emma-O

Thanks for getting back to us David1983,

I do apologise for the inconvenience and the level of service you have experience so far. Firstly I can confirm there is no known issue with the Samsung Galaxy s3 connecting to our hub. Reading your post I’m not 100% sure if you can connect to WiFi? Does your phone connect then disconnect or does it connect and run slow?

I am keen to help resolve and investigate this issue; can you tell me what troubleshooting you have done? Have you tried changing the wireless channel?

Let me know, we can assist you further.

Thanks.

Frequent Visitor
Kaybee

[ Edited ]

David1983

At the worst it you can not get any sense from ***  and from your post it seems you have not had the new service very long, then you should be able to cancel the account and broadband as it is unfit for purpose.  Believe you should also get a refund of monies paid.

Couple of alternatives. First are you refering to the router username and password or the broadband username and password.

If router--- open browser and type in ip address of gateway maybee 192.168.1.254 / 192.168.1.1 /192.168.0.1 or sililar (If not sure open dos box (run cmd) and type "ipconfig /all" without quotes and you should see default gatway in the router settings.Most routers come with default username/password somewhere on the router (on mine it is on the base) or the box it came in

Try user name 'admin" and password "sky" if it works lok for security or wpa/wps or similar and you shouls see wifi password there.

If not do a hard reset on router then speak to  *** and tell them  you had power failure and had to reset router - What are the settings :smileylol:

Final final action if above do not work HIT IT WITH A BIG HAMMER

Just found this explains better than me

Login to your router by typing 192.168.0.1 into your browser address bar and using these details to log into it:

Username -  admin

Password - sky

You can change the router name in the WIRELESS setting section, it is called the "Name (SSID)". And your password (called the network key) should be on the same page. Remeber to apply/save you changes before exiting.

Good luck

Keith

Regular Visitor
david1983

Thanks for your replys.

It was the actual broadband user name and password that I require, have got the user name and password for the Sky hub and can access it without any problems.

No I had not tried changing the wireless channel but I have now given that a try and so far it has not helped, however I will keep trying different numbers.

Would have thought that when I called customer services last week they might have mentioned this!

Frequent Visitor
Kaybee

Sorry I am full of stupid ideas :robotvery-happy:

Have you double checked the sky emails partic the activation one as usually it is in the "small print"

But still cannot see why Sky would not give to to you over the phone

Keith

Regular Visitor
david1983

Hi Keith,

Yeah have been through all the emails and letters and have definitely not been given them.
Think the reason for this is that Sky only want you to use their router that they provide.
Have been playing around with the wireless channel settings and it is working a bit better now but still not 100%.
I will keep trying different wireless channels and re post if I find one that works properly.
Frequent Visitor
Kaybee

[ Edited ]

I am a bit thick just twigged you have an android phone.

Have a look at app named wifi analyzer, if you haven't already, gives excellent ifo on channel usage , signal strength and overlapping signals.

Best of all it is free

Retired Staff Member
batweb79

Hi David,

How are you getting on with the phone connection now? 

If all other devices are connecting to the Sky Hub then I would suggest that the issue lies with the phone. If the phone connects to other networks without issue then I'm at a bit of a loss.

Thanks,

Barry
Community Coordinator
Community Welcome, Hints & Tips
Sky Help Centre http://www.sky.com/help

New to the forum? Click here
Tagging your posts and others with relevant key words is another way to help,
it also counts towards forum rank.