Help
Help

Sky Talk
Occasional Visitor
gary1690
Accepted Solution

spam phone calls

ever since i moved my phone over to sky i have been pestered with nuisance phone calls constant from people trying to do surveys switch my gas and phone line to different company's, is this something to do with sky giving them my number and if so how can I stop getting them because some times the callers just don't take no for an answer, any help would be appreciated.

Please do not post any personal details or account information. Please use plain text.
Occasional Visitor
MAH78

Re: spam phone calls

I registered with this service - 08450700707 for unwanted calls and 08704443969 for silent calls. Hope this helps, good luck! M

Please do not post any personal details or account information. Please use plain text.
Community Coordinator
Malcolm-M

Hi gary1690, Registering with the TPS as suggested helps you can do this online at http://www.mpsonline.org.uk/tps/ I don't have any experience of the other service. Other options include requesting to be ex directory and permanent number withhold. You can also request last caller barring and anonymous caller reject although there are monthly charges for these.

In some circumstances you can also request that your number be changed.

Malcolm-M
Community Coordinator
Community Welcome, Hints & Tips
Sky Help Centre http://www.sky.com/help

New to the forum? Click here
Tagging your posts and others with relevant key words is another way to help,
it also counts towards forum rank.
Occasional Visitor
gary1690

thanks for the numbers will give it a go

Occasional Visitor
gary1690

had a look at the site< looks good so hope thats the last of the spam calls

Occasional Visitor
bignev75

I too have received a call from a call centre in India in the last 24hrs, I never receive any calls on my landline other than from Family and have been listed as ex-directory ever since the line was taken out 8 years ago.

A colleague of mine who again in a very similar situation to mine who only receives call from Family also received several calls yesterday (22/11/10) from bogus Indian call centres and managed to note the number they called from 00212356788, this was allegedly from the "Worldwide Protection for Windows" which after researching the internet I found to be an extortion scam where they try and collect bank/credit card details from you.

What has prompted me to make this posting is that it appears that only people on Sky call plans are receiving these messages which poses the question has the Sky Indian call centre been compromised?
Maybe a disgruntled ex-employee has managed to take a database with all Sky talk plans customers phone numbers, as both myself and my colleague are on Sky talk plans and both have been contacted in the last 24hrs.

Maybe someone at Sky would like to comment on this or more importantly take on the role of researching this further?

Occasional Visitor
JosieBabe

I think sky sells the No to marketing people I switch to sky back in Feb since then none stop calls! 1 other thing if you phone then you get charged @ 10p per min!

Community Coordinator
Malcolm-M

Hi JosieBabe, If you are on Sky Talk calls to our contact centre are free during your inclusive times. For Unlimited that's 24/7 and for Freetime it's 1900 till 0700 during the week and all day at weekends.

Malcolm-M
Community Coordinator

Super User
caesarome

JosieBabe wrote:

I think sky sells the No to marketing people I switch to sky back in Feb since then none stop calls! 1 other thing if you phone then you get charged @ 10p per min!

I very much doubt they do that. As Sky have 10 million customers a scammer would only have to phone say 5 people before getting through to someone who does have Sky.

__________________________________________________________________________________________.

If someone has helped you then please click on the LIKES button in their post.
I do not work for Sky.
Occasional Visitor
TKMamimus

Hi

I beleive Sky do sell their customers phone numbers and details on.

Ever since moving my phone to Sky Talk I have been inundated with spam calls from India!! Never had this with BT.

Bit too much of a coincidence!

Community Coordinator
Robert

Hi TKMamimus, 

Have you checked your marketing preferences on the My Sky website?

To do this, log in to My Sky with the Primary Sky iD on your account, select My Profile followed by Marketing Preferences.

You can also check that your number is ex-directory by contacting our Customer Help team, while this should not change if it was ex-directory with your previous provider and had the same number, if you were given a new number then this may need to be changed.

For more information on blocking any marketing related calls you can also register your details with the Telephone Preference Service. Please note this will not stop calls from companies that you currently take services from or have given permission to contact you.

Robert
Community Coordinator

Occasional Visitor
.Bubbles.

[ Edited ]

Hi,

Please help! We get cold calls from a company called Green Home Improvements. They call every day, and we are pulling our hair out over it! It is a pre-recorded message, and if you hold you are connected to an advisor who asks if you are interested in a quote. As soon as you start to say 'I would like to complain' or say ANYTHING remotely like it does not relate directly to getting a quote, they hang up on you!! The number is always withheld too, so we have no way of tracing them. I have just looked up the number for reporting these types of calls to Sky, only to find it is not a valid number. So you might want to get that page updated :smileyhappy:

The number quoted is 08422 414141 and is on this link: http://www.sky.com/helpcentre/broadband/security-centre/protect-myself/nuisance-malicious-phone-call...

Please advise who I should call at Sky about this on what number? We are alredy registered with TPS but they can't help as it is a pre-recorded message (even though it DOES lead to a real person if you hold).

Thanks.

Staff (Retired)
Samantha-K

[ Edited ]

Hi .Bubbles.,

Thank you for coming to our Help Forum for help and advice, welcome to our online community:smileyhappy:.

Firstly can I get you to confirm you have tried everything on this list before we take this any further.

Hopefully we can get this all sorted out for you soon.

Thanks

Occasional Visitor
.Bubbles.

Hi and thanks for your reply. The link you've given leads to the very same page I quoted in my post above, so, yes I've already tried all of that. We are already registered with the TPS as well. Also, as I said, the number quoted for Sky on that page comes up as unobtainable when I tried to call. Please advise, thanks.

Community Coordinator
Kris+McD

Hi .Bubbles.

Sorry the number should be 08442414141 and I have raised this to be edited. 

Have you also change your marketing preferences on your My Sky Account?

Cheers 

Kris+McD
Community Coordinator