Help
Help

Sky Talk
Occasional Visitor
christianbosence

LOST TELEPHONE NUMBER WHEN SWITCHING FROM TALKTALK TO SKY

Hello forum!

I was wondering if you can help me as I'm close to giving up!

So,

I was with TalkTalk for Broadband and Phone

To cut outgoings I was thinking of leaving Sky

After phoning Sky to cancel, i was offered a very good package and decided to stay and switch my phone and broadband to Sky as i already had TV with Sky

When switching I highlighted that under NO CIRCUMSTANCES COULD MY LANDLINE NUMBER CHANGE. This was understood and explained to me that it may take a little longer if i wanted to keep my number - i understood this and was fine with it

Surprise surprise when my broadband and phone was activated my home phone (which is also a business line for a number of family) stopped ringing…we thought this was strange and then found out that our 30year old telephone number had been replaced by a new one by Sky

After calling Sky numerous times and being told that the number could not be changed back or retrieved, they recommended i speak to TalkTalk to see if the number had or had not been released (why i had to do this and they couldn't i don't know - GREAT customer support … or not!!)

TalkTalk said they can't get the number back and it was down to Sky

I called Sky back, they said they could do nothing - apparently unused numbers go into some kind of quarantine back at BT??

I also called BT, they can't guarantee that they can get the number back until I enter into a 12 month contract with them

I NEEEEEEEED MY OLD NUMBER BACK! WHAT CAN I DO?!

HELP ME PLEASE KNOWLEDGEABLE GURUS!!

Stay Safe: Don't post any personal details or Sky account information. Plain text only in this box.
Community Coordinator
michael-r

Re: LOST TELEPHONE NUMBER WHEN SWITCHING FROM TALKTALK TO SKY

Hi christianbosence,

I'm sorry to hear about your experience. I apologise about the problems you have been having. There are two reasons to why your number would have not been ported over to Sky:

1) The order was not submitted correctly and has progressed with the number porting request being sent to TalkTalk.

2) TalkTalk can refuse to release the number when we ask them to port this over to the Sky talk line rental services.

With either occurrence your order is submitted and correspondence will confirm your order and will include the number which will be activated on the telephone line with Sky.

If your TalkTalk line has been cancelled, TalkTalk would release the number. In this case the number no longer belongs to anyone and will be available for anyone else and is stored by BT.

The only way we can request the number to be processed on to Sky line rental is:

1) TalkTalk re-activate the telephone line and manage to claw the number back to this. Once this line is active Sky can re-submit a new order with the number porting request to be made.

2) BT may have access to activate the telephone line with this number and setup BT line rental. You can choose to have the line rental as a stand alone package with BT and have the Sky Talk calls package and broadband on this line. Once the 12 month line rental period expires with BT, Sky can do a simple transfer of the line and number. This does not involve a number porting request but is a straight forward line transfer and would take 14 days to complete.

Michael
Community Coordinator
Community Welcome, Hints & Tips
Sky Help Centre http://www.sky.com/help

New to the forum? Click here
Tagging your posts and others with relevant key words is another way to help,
it also counts towards forum rank.
Stay Safe: Don't post any personal details or Sky account information. Plain text only in this box.
Occasional Visitor
christianbosence

Thanks for your reply Michael

However, I was just on the phone to customer services and they have said that Sky CANNOT provide services down a BT line??

Yet again i'm getting conflicting messages!!

More help please!

Community Coordinator
michael-r

Hi christianbosence,

If you have the line services with BT or any other provider that works through a BT compatible line, Sky can and will do a transfer of this line.

Any contractual obligations that you may have would be your responsibility. When you sign up with BT for line rental they usually put you into a 12 month contract and the majority of our customers would do the line transfer to Sky after the 12 month period is up. This is to avoid any charges from BT if you are still within the contract.

Michael
Community Coordinator

Occasional Visitor
FLuong

The exact same thing happened to me and Sky spoke to me today and said there is nothing they can do.

I even asked them if there was a way in which I can buy my old landline back for which he replied that is not possible!

Surely if the landline number is in a virtual pool of all old landline numbers, there must be a way which they can retrieve it.

I am a new customer to Sky and have recently transferred my line rental/ talk and broadband package from Talk Talk to Sky.  Prior to transferring my packages, I spoke to 2 of your colleagues who confirmed to me that I will be able to keep my existing phone number. I told them it was prudent that I keep this number as I have had this for over 30 years.

They assured me that my existing phone number will be kept.

I was sent a welcome letter from Sky to confirm that my Internet will be up and running from the 4th February.  I did not receive any correspondence regarding my land line, and I was utterly shocked when I found out that my number has been changed! I only noticed that I have a new number when I visited my online account today.

I found it strange that I have not received any incoming calls for the past 2 weeks and assumed that it was due to the time it takes to set up the transfer of the phone line.  Your website stated it would take up to 5-7 weeks to transfer an existing phone line from another provider, therefore I was waiting patiently.

I am absolutely horrified and extremely dissatisfied that you have gone against your words and given misguided information from your customer service department!

I am confident when I took the Sky Talk and Broadband package, I clicked on the button requesting that my old number is kept.

I am not the only customer who has experience this problem, so therefore I am lead to believe there maybe an error on Sky behalf when switching my line rental from Talk Talk to Sky!

Community Coordinator
Robert

Hi FLuong, 

I'm sorry to hear about this, unfortunately when you request to keep your existing number we are not always able to transfer this as it depends on the losing provider in this case TalkTalk allowing us to take the number over.

In a small number of cases where Number Porting is requested as part of an order, the request will fail due to circumstances outwith our control such as the old service provider refusing to release the number for porting or a system error when transferring the line.

When this happens depending on how the order has been placed the system will either continue with the order requesting a new number for the line or cancel the order completely. In this case it appears the system has been notified that the order should go ahead whether the number can be ported or not.

We cannot retrieve the old number once this happens as it will either still be under TalkTalk's network or it may have been released to BT for re-use at a future date. Sky cannot request a specific landline number to be placed onto a line.

Robert
Community Coordinator

Frequent Visitor
MartyMcFly

I am having the same problem transferring my phone and broadband to sky.  I have made numerous calls to Sky only to be told that I would have to wait until midnight on the day of the engineer visit (yesterday) for my line to become fully active.  Nothing has changed this morning as even though I am still only able to make outgoing calls, I can only receive incoming calls from Talktalk landlines! 

Again I have spoken to Sky who advise that Talktalk did not 'cease my number' and that this has now been requested which will take a further 7-10 days, however their advice was that if I could call Talktalk to expedite then it may help.  On calling Talktalk I have been told that no number port request was ever made by Sky and they would action it today, which would take 5 working days.

Talktalk went on to say that Sky do things 'on the cheap' and probably installed a new line over the old one.

Sky have blamed Talktalk for not raising a cease on my line.

I am getting fed-up with the 'lets blame everyone else' mentality when in the end it is me who loses out as I am unable to receive calls!

Having read the above posts, I want to be assured that I will not lose my telephone number and once the cease has been done, the process will be straightforward.

After all this, I still have to wait another 7-10 days for broadband.......can it really be this difficult?????

Community Coordinator
Robert

Hi MartyMcFly,

After looking into your issue we are unable to complete the investigation without further information. We have sent you a private message asking for specific details relating to your enquiry. Can you please respond with the information required and we will be able to escalate your issue further.

Thanks

Robert
Community Coordinator

Occasional Visitor
Clive+aitken

We are having the same issues, 7 weeks ago we paid our set up fee - waited for the tv installation, advised as we wanted to keep our number as we use it for incoming business calls, waited then got a letter stating a bt engine was calling to set up a new phone number - we specifically said at the time of taking this on that it was important that we kept our number- I stressed how important this was, we obviously were advised that this was fine, I called streight away when we got the letter advising that we were having a new number installed , I was advised if I waited another 5-7 weeks we could get the number changed. I am still here with a talk talk package along with a sky tv package, I originally paid my set up fee back in February - I have telephoned this evening and was advised by 1 person this was possible to change my number- I was on the line 45 mins, his system went down 3 times whilst I was on phone, he resulted in asking me to call streight back to go through to another advisor - I did so and she then gave me conflicting information - she advises that sky do not offer the keep you own number service anymore!! What? Of course I was not happy at this - I wouldn't have took up the package if I couldn't keep my number, I am still paying my talk talk package along with sky tv so I am worse off!! I am not happy at the service and information I am receiving- it really hasn't been worth all this hastle, o may change my views when and if my number is eventually my original one!! I also never have received my complimentary gift vouchers - I await your response....
Community Coordinator
LauraMac

Hi Clive+aitken, 

We have sent you a private message asking for specific details relating to your enquiry. Can you please respond with the information required and we will be able to escalate your issue further. 

LauraMac
Community Coordinator

Occasional Visitor
Mandy+Mel

[ Edited ]

Strangely, I too have exactly this problem.

I decided to switch from Pipex (part of the TalkTalk Group) to Sky Talk and Broadband, as I already had Sky TV, at the beginning of March.  I opted to wait up to 8 weeks for the transfer of my old phone number as it was imperative that I kept my old number.

Last week my father asked if there was a problem with my phone line as he hadn't been able to reach me.  It was only after this conversation and me dialling my own number that I discovered the number was 'unallocated'. 

I telephoned Sky only to be told that I had been given a new number since 20 March - almost TWO MONTHS later! They apparently had written to me to inform me of the switch over and my new number, but the only correspondence I received was an email confirming the switch over - there was absolutely no reference to a new landline number, as if there was I would have told them I didn't want it!  Pipex apparently would not release my old number, however it would appear that Sky did not wait long enough for this to happen. 

According to the Communications Obudsman I have a legal right to retain my old number.  I have therefore taken the matter up with the Communications Obudsman but have to wait 8 weeks for Sky to assist me before the Obudsman can step in.  I have received an email from Sky to say they cannot change the number back and there is nothing more they can do.

I refuse to let this matter lie and want my old number reinstating - at absolutely no cost to me.  I have already been inconvenienced far too much, having missed an important business telephone call.

It will be my intention to cancel all Sky packages that I have, at no cost to me for defaulting on a contract, if Sky do not reinstate my old landline number.

AnneJennifer

I have just switched from Pipex to sky for telephone and broadband.  The live date was 12th May.  On realising we were not getting incoming calls, I called Sky.  They had taken it on themselves to give me a new number despite asking them not to on the online order form.

Having called Pipex, they have released the number to Sky.  They told me that Sky do not have the same technology and can therefore not accept our old number as it is on a private network (whatever that means).  It is at best incompetent and at worst misselling.  If that is true, I would never have gone with Sky. 

This is a similar story to others and I am interested in the fact that we have a legal right to keep our old phone number. 

Any advice would be good.   I am appalled at Sky.

AnneJennifer

IS ANYONE FROM SKY READING THIS?

I have had no reply.

OFCOM have advised me that it is definitely possible to port a number from Pipex to Sky.  They both use LLU networks.   It just requires a bit more effort from Sky.   Also the numbers are quarantined for 90 days so no one else can get them in this time.

Please could someone from Sky look at my file,, Complaint GE 18218384 and start actioning the reclaiming of our old telephone number.

Community Coordinator
michael-r

[ Edited ]

Hi Mandy+Mel,

I can certainly understand why it would be frustrating to find out your number hasn't been ported over correctly.

If the line is active we can send a request off to the company who has the number. When the line is cut off by that provider, we won't be able to pick this up as an active number to raise the request against. A ceased line will mean the number is completely released and unattainable.

The number port  permission is entirely up to the provider in question. In some cases the previous provider may not be willing to release the number at all, but this normally relates to an on going issue between the customer and previous provider.

Sky are also unable to provide a line rental service and telephone number for business purposes. This is stated within the terms & conditions, found here.

Michael
Community Coordinator

Community Coordinator
michael-r

[ Edited ]

Hi AnneJennifer,

Please see the post above which highlights some information about a number porting request.

With regards to porting a number over from an LLU provider, in this case TalkTalk, this should be possible. As long as you are still within the same area, if a number porting request is submitted, we would be able to carry out the port over to Sky from this type of technology.

Michael
Community Coordinator