Help
Help

Sky Talk
Visitor
Dave+Sullivan

Barring Outgoing calls to specific mobile numbers

Hi, I wonder if you can help me. My SkyTalk bill shows a great many unauthorised (by me) calls to two mobile phone numbers which are running my bill up to higher amounts than I would like. These calls are usually placed by others in my household while I am at work. Is is possible to block outgoing calls to specific mobile numbers. I am not overly concerned if there is a monthly subscription fee as if is sure to be lower than the call fees to these numbers.

Stay Safe: Don't post any personal details or Sky account information. Plain text only in this box.
Senior Member (Platinum)
PaulEK

Re: Barring Outgoing calls to specific mobile numbers

http://www.sky.com/helpcentre/talk/sky-talk-features/last-caller-barring/

It may be possible but this may be easier and it allows you to easily specify what numbers you want to block

http://desc.shop.ebay.co.uk/i.html?_nkw=phone+guard+commtel&LH_TitleDesc=1&_armrs=1&_from=R10&_ipg=&...

Used to work for Sky and BT ADSL tech support but please don't hate me for it :smileywink:
Stay Safe: Don't post any personal details or Sky account information. Plain text only in this box.
Visitor
Dave+Sullivan

Hi Paul,

Thank you for your reply,

As I understand it, last caller barring will bar INCOMING calls from the last person to call my number, if I am wrong please advise me. I want to prevent people in my houshold from dialling one or two specific numbers. Now I know Phoneguard will block outgoing calls but, I think, this will only allow calls to those numbers on a given list programmed into the device. That technology will cause a problem if for example, my daughter suddenly needs to call a number related to her school and I am not around.

What I had in mind was more a block at the server side rather than the client side where the exchange refused calls to the rogue numbers. Alteratively if you know of a phone (wireless type) which has the functionality to block numbers in this way I would be grateful if you could tell me.

Thanks a lot for any help you can give me.

Occasional Visitor
Lord+Swordfish

I'm afraid that sky have no way of barring your phone from making calls to anything other than international numbers. You're right that last caller barring is a way of stopping specific calls coming INTO your line, not out. I think there are types of phones out there that require you to enter a code before allowing you to make outgoing calls, but for the life of me i couldnt tell you which ones they are.

Hope this helps in some way.

Occasional Visitor
Explosif

I'm not aware of an option like this which sky offer either. There are phones out there which you can bar outgoing calls i currently use a panasonic phone which has a feature called call Restrict or Call Restriction, where you can block outgoing calls to certain numbers or partial numbers eg. any number being with  074 OR 075 OR 076 OR 077 OR 078 ( mobile numbers )

Occasional Visitor
Nondependable

My Friend Adapted my wireless handsets in the kitchen and living room, by removing the "0" button, then superglued the hole with extra plastic, so the phone motherboard could not be pressed with a pen. The bedroom phone which is locked in the bedroom and has all the buttons. This stops her two over 21yr old lads from ringing mobiles and premium numbers that contain the "0".

As for your daughter, she should be more responsible regarding her own child and keep her own mobile topped up.

Its your house and Your Bill, don't fall for the sympathy plan by your kids.

I used to, but now my bill has drastically reduced, and I'm pleased!

Occasional Visitor
cynthia+stone

how do i go about having all mobile  cal barried it costin me too much

Occasional Visitor
Amiga1Productions

If you superglue the "0" key,  how do you dial local numbers that include a "0" in the number, or even just normal national calls for that matter ? all would be free on Sky Talk ?

Occasional Visitor
skyeruby

[ Edited ]

possiable 

would it be possible to put me on incoming calls only .as my son uses the phone when am out .

i have a low wage and cannot afford these high bills .this will only be temporary for 3mths as he will be moving out .

if you cant help me then i will have no choice put to cancell everything . because my mthly bills will be cheaper if i get it taking out ;:smileysad: and that would be ashame . yourfaithly j c .

Occasional Visitor
tony76

can I barr outgoing calls to all mobiles ,operator connected calls . I have had call charge of £28.49 not autherised by me look forward to your early replies

Community Coordinator
Robert

Hi tony76,

It is not currently possible for us to place a block on outgoing calls to mobile numbers as a calling feature on your line, we are currently investigating this as a calling feature to be added in the future.

Robert
Community Coordinator
Community Welcome, Hints & Tips
Sky Help Centre http://www.sky.com/help

New to the forum? Click here
Tagging your posts and others with relevant key words is another way to help,
it also counts towards forum rank.
Occasional Visitor
MarkieS

Hi Sky,

SKY LOSING BUSINESS

I think the technical boffins really need to implement this quickly.  As a customer with teenagers this is becoming an increasing battle for me.  I'm sure it's the same everywhere and as money gets tighter we are all pulling in the purse strings.

I have got to the stage where the ability to call mobiles must stop.  Full stop.

If Sky cant do it (wont do it!) I will move my subscription back to BT who can do it.  With BT vs Sky deals, BT is far more expensive but when I factor in the ability to block mobiles I am almost £50 per month better off with BT.

If I dont hear anything back by the end of June 2011 - I will be moving on to BT

Markie S

Occasional Visitor
c+turner

Sky will simply not add this feature to its Sky Talk service because they would lose too much money.

Every other phone company has this feature some with a small monthly fee (£2.00 approx) and Sky could easily add this, but wont out of pure greed. I intend following this up with OFCOM because I consider it a standard feature which should be available as an option and applicable fee. However if there is no legal requirement for Sky to offer it them im off to a provider who can offer what I want and what I can afford to pay for.

Occasional Visitor
ob1utd

Have you resolved the call barring issue yet, if not when are you likely to fix this or are you never going to fix this.

Occasional Visitor
RDoc

I totally agree with your comments.  I have contacted Sky numerous times since joining asking when this service is going to become available and as yet have constanlty been informed that it is something they are looking into, yet have not applied it.  Talk Talk and BT both offer this service, albeit the latter making a small charge, but when you consider the saving, compared with mobile calls which my children make, it is a drop in the ocean.  I feel Sky could easily add this service, but have no actual intentions of doing so.  It makes you wonder what kind of company they are, who do not listen to their customers requests.  I for one have informed them that if this service is not available by the end of my year's contract, then I will go elsewhere and I seriously hope that others will do the same.