Help
Help

Sky Talk
Visitor
Neez

Barring Nuisance Calls

Was subjected to a Company phoning me half at least three times daily. When I picked up the phone no one there - you know the kind - thousands of numbers dialled but only one can be answered and then not the kind of thing one would buy. I was very fed up so contacted Sky and refused to pay over £3 to have it barred. Why should it come through.? I do not receive SPAM online and I regard that phone call as much the same thing. It should be stopped at source if that can be done. I was surprized that Sky does not have a TPS in place. My home is private and I do not open my door to cold callers. I'm an OAP and it takes me time to reach the phone. Thank you to the SKY person who helped me. Have had no more calls -cross fingers. 

Please do not post any personal details or account information. Please use plain text.
Community Coordinator
Robert

Re: Barring Nuisance Calls

Hi Neez, 

I'm sorry to hear that this is happening, while Sky do offer Anonymous Caller Reject as an additional feature on the line for a charge, there are other options. The Telephone Preference Service (TPS) is in place for all phone providers in the UK, if you are not already registered with the TPS you can do so either by http://www.mpsonline.org.uk/tps/ visiting their website or contacting the Customer Help Team.

Robert
Community Coordinator
Community Welcome, Hints & Tips
Sky Help Centre http://www.sky.com/help

New to the forum? Click here
Tagging your posts and others with relevant key words is another way to help,
it also counts towards forum rank.
Please do not post any personal details or account information. Please use plain text.
Occasional Visitor
Snowbound10

I have TPS and have done so for a few years and remember to renew it. BUT I'm getting a lot of nuuisance calls. Just now the thid of the day from an organisation called IMS (I think) whose number is 001234567890  !!! Yeah. On the last call I told the caller I had telephone preference and their call was illegal in the UK. She called me a liar! So I'll just ignore any calls where that number displays. I answered the first call of the day and found out that they were wanting top check on my life insurance cover. I told them they wouldn't insure me because I have a terminal illness. I don't but I really don't like being rude to these people. Really I don't!

But why is my TPS failing now that I've moved across to Sky?? Never had this problem with Virgin.

Occasional Visitor
duckeg

I am also getting volumes of nuisance calls and the problem has become much worse since transferring to Sky from BT.

A recurring example is "Out of Area" calls ( I no longer answer any of these) and calls selling Sky maintenance  and suspicion here must be of subscriber information originating from somewhere within Sky.

Like other Forum responders I object to paying additional subscriptions for a facility advertised as a feature of Sky Talk.

My current method of dealing with these numbers more than once is:  (with a caller ID phone)  give such numbers a warning name such as "RUBBISH" in your address book so if a call comes in and  I see this name flash up I just hang up the call without answering. Of course I still get the nuisance of the phone ringing in the first place!

Occasional Visitor
Dash1

I am also suffering this type of calls on a regular basis, but I did use the Call Barring Service, but as it only allows you to bar 15 numbers, it was filled within a few weeks of starting the service.

I have contacted Sky requesting my number be changed but they HAVE NOT REPLIED so I'm really angry with Sky at the moment, I am at the point where I want to know if they are breaching the contract & I'll go back to BT, where they treat this sort of thing properly & help so much quicker (used them years ago).

Sky have really disappointed me this time & I've been a Sky customer for many,many years. 

Occasional Visitor
madmikeok

1. Tell the company (especially if it is a credit card or debt collection agency) that they are breaching section 1 & 2 of the 1997 Protection from Harassment Act.

2. Check out the Fair Debt Collection Practices Act (1977), and the OFT guidance.

3. Since credit card companies generally are immune from most laws, you could always invest in a dog whistle, wait for 20 seconds after answering the phone, then... but I'm not going to give you advice which could be dangerous to others, so on second thoughts, don't do this.:smileywink:

Madmike

Occasional Visitor
Ben+Johnson

Problem I'm having is that it's SKY that keep calling my mobile phone every other day, sometimes 2-3 times a day!

Spoke to four different people and left various messages asking for my details to be removed, however it's just relentless... been going on for months!

On verge of making formal OFCOM complaint, these guys haven't got a clue about customers satisfaction and are intent on the hard sell, at all costs.

Community Coordinator
Robert

Hi Ben+Johnson, 

I'm concerned to hear that this is happening, if you have contacted us already to request a change in marketing preferences, please allow up to 7 days for this to changed to go through our systems.

The fact that you are being called 2-3 times a day is excessive for sky unless the matter is urgent and relating to an issue that you have previously raised with ourselves.

If you have any further queries relating to this, please contact our Customer Help team.

Robert
Community Coordinator

Visitor
noohoo

An earlier poster mentioned that they get far more unsolicited calls since moving to Sky from BT. I have the same problem, my line including my mobile have been registered with the TPS for a long time now and since moving to SKY, I am inundated with nuisance calls.

Someone at Sky is not doing thier job (or perhaps doing another job on the side), only sky had my mobile number other than family and it was given to them as a contact while I switched from BT - within days my mobile also began to recieve all sorts of sales and marketing calls. So sick of this now that I am seriously considering going back to BT and once again as someone stated earlier, it's unreasonable to be expected to pay for an extra service when things worked perfectly well before moving to Sky.

Still would like to know how my mobile number became so well known to marketers.

Occasional Visitor
PETER+C.+WIRRAL

I BELONG TO SKY  FULL PACKAGE TV TELEPHONE BROADBAND HD ECT` WHO IS THE OWNER  SKY EQUIPMENT I HAVE HAVE A TELEPHONE CALL OFFERING ME £17 A MONTH TO COVER MAINTENANCE OF SKY EQUIPMENT AT MY HOME,IF IT GOES FAULTY I HOPE SKY WILL REPLACE ALL,PLEASE ADVISED ,OR I GO TO ANOTHER PROVIDER

Community Coordinator
Robert

[ Edited ]

Hi Peter, 

Can you provide us with a little more information on this extended warranty call that you received?

Sky only operates the Sky Protect plan which you can find out more about online at www.skyprotect.com this is the only plan endorsed by Sky and is provided by Domestic & General.

There are other companies out there that do offer to cover Sky equipment however these companies operate independently and are not related to Sky.

Robert
Community Coordinator

ldp
Occasional Visitor
ldp

Robert wrote:

Hi Ben+Johnson, 

I'm concerned to hear that this is happening, if you have contacted us already to request a change in marketing preferences, please allow up to 7 days for this to changed to go through our systems.

The fact that you are being called 2-3 times a day is excessive for sky unless the matter is urgent and relating to an issue that you have previously raised with ourselves.

If you have any further queries relating to this, please contact our Customer Help team.

I have a problem with nuisance calls. The main problem - I cannot get through to any one in SKY to deal with the problem. I have just spent a total of an hour and a half selecting different options before being cut off. May cost more on BT, but a much better service.

Community Coordinator
Robert

Hi ldp, 

I'm sorry to see that you are having difficulty contacting our Customer Help team to report this issue. I appreciate that nuisance calls are a concern and it's not pleasant to have unwanted calls coming through.

There are a few things we can advise to help minimise these call types including adding calling features such as Anonymous Caller Reject. If you haven't done so already you can register for the Telephone Preference Service.

I have sent you a Private Message asking for some details, please reply to this and I'll try to assist further.

Robert
Community Coordinator

Occasional Visitor
Lisa+CG

Robert wrote:

Hi Neez, 

I'm sorry to hear that this is happening, while Sky do offer Anonymous Caller Reject as an additional feature on the line for a charge, there are other options. The Telephone Preference Service (TPS) is in place for all phone providers in the UK, if you are not already registered with the TPS you can do so either by http://www.mpsonline.org.uk/tps/ visiting their website or contacting the Customer Help Team.

I have registered with TPS (some months ago) & still get these calls.  I think they come from international random number diallers.  Is there any solution?

Staff (Retired)
Jenny-S

Hi Lisa+CG,

Unfortunately if the calls are coming from international numbers then The Telephone Preference Service will not include these.

Jenny
Community Coordinator