Help
Help

Sky Store - YouView
Community Manager
Erinn-R

Sky Store: YouView

[ Edited ]

Hi there all,

Within this thread we are dedicating conversations to your experiences of Sky Store on your You View box.

We have created a dedicated knowledge base which, can offer help and support and may already provide you with the answer you are looking for. Check out our knowledge base FAQ's here

Thankyou

Erinn
Community Manager
Forum Help http://helpforum.sky.com/t5/help/faqpage
Sky Help Centre http://www.sky.com/help

New to the forum? Click here
Tagging your posts and others with relevant key words is another way to help,
it also counts towards forum rank.
Stay Safe: Don't post any personal details or Sky account information. Plain text only in this box.
Occasional Visitor
Youviewer

Re: Sky Store: Youview

At the moment customers with YouView seem to be missing out on a lot of what NOW TV and Sky Store offer.

NOW TV

- No access to Sky Entertainment, either Live TV or On Demand

- No access to Sky Sports

- Sky Movies only available in SD, no HD

- Sky Movies only available in stereo, no 5.1 surround sound

Sky Store

- Movies only available in SD, no HD

- Movies only available in stereo, no 5.1 surround sound

I'm not sure any platforms offer 5.1 surround sound at the moment but I think the others have the other bits.

Is this situation likely to change in the near future?

Stay Safe: Don't post any personal details or Sky account information. Plain text only in this box.
Retired Staff Member
ClaireH86

Re: Sky Store: Youview

Hi Youviewer

Welcome to our forum.  Thanks for being our first ever customer post and providing us with great feedback!

I understand you'd like to be  able to watch your favourite movies in HD with 5.1 surround sound, and this currently isn't available on Sky Store.

However, over the next 12 months we have plans to implement various new features within Sky Store.

I can see that you've mentioned NOW TV within your post, and they have their own forum  in which you can give your feedback on their service.

I hope this has helped.

Please don't hesitate to get back to me if you require  further assistance.

CHesketh86

Claire
Community Coordinator
Community Welcome, Hints & Tips

Occasional Visitor
JamesDr

Re: Sky Store: YouView

I signed up and rented my first film, Monster's University, on Saturday through my youView box and I'm afraid to say was disappointed with the experience.

The film lost about 2 seconds of audio every 5 minutes or so, it occurred about 10 times in total (the picture was fine at these times).  At different times to that, the picture would freeze and be blocky, and take around 5 seconds to recover, this happened about 5 times through the movie.  It did not ruin the film, annoying more than anything, but not ideal.

I was surprised as I subscribe to both Netflix and Lovefilm, and never have any issues with streams from those services.  BBC iPlayer in HD through the same youView box has also always worked perfectly.  I'd expected the non-HD Sky Store to be solid therefore.  My broadband is fast and stable (and is also from Sky actually).

I'm hoping it is just teething problems.  You do have a great selection of titles, so I imagine I'll try the service again at some point.

James

Retired Staff Member
Sara+LF

[ Edited ]

Hi JamesDr,

Thank you for your post and sorry to hear your first experience with Sky Store did not meet up to your expectations.

While I appreciate that your broadband connection speed is up to the job,  as we are a stream based service, there are a few factors that may affect viewing. Sky Store content requires an internet connection speed of at least 2.5mbps. If youhave any other devices connected to your WiFi connection or are dowloading or streaming another service at the same time, your internet connection speed download rate will become reduced. Also, viewing at peak times may be affected due to the high volume of people watching that particular movie.

Sky Store Online currently only streams content in Standard Definition, and the reason for this is so that the service is accessible to as many people as possible who may have a slower internet connection speed whilst ensuring an acceptable quality of playback for everyone.

Again, apologies for this, and I hope that you will have a better experience with us second time around :smileyhappy:

Kind Regards,

Sara
Community Coordinator

Occasional Visitor
glawrence86

Tried to use my sky id (previous sky subscription) to sign in to use the sky store on my Youview box, but it wouldn't let me in, saying I needed to add account information online. I went online and couldn't find anyway of doing this - it just kept saying I needed a sky box to use the service? Any ideas?
Retired Staff Member
ClaireH86

Hi glawrence86

Welcome to our community :smileyhappy:

I understand what it's like when trying to sign into an app on your YouView Box and it won't let you.

In order for you to be able to sign into the Sky Store app on your YouView Box, you'll need to log into the Sky Store website using your Sky iD and complete the registration process by accepting the Terms and Conditions.

While doing this, it may also ask you to validate your Sky iD. If this happens, it'll re-direct you to sky.com and you need  to follow the steps on screen and then select 'Save'. Then go back to the Sky Store website and sign in where it'll then prompt you to complete the sign up process.

I hope this has answered your query.

Please don't hesitate to get back to me if you require further assistance.

Claire
Community Coordinator

Regular Visitor
BradfordBabe

Hi

I just thought I would add a post here to say I have rented 2 movies from the Sky Store on my YouView box, and both played perfectly and even pausing did not affect the quality as I suspected might happen!:smileyvery-happy:

Well done to all invloved for getting this off the ground, and now I need to see what to watch tonight!:smileytongue:

One question, if I decide to use my Laptop to search for films (as it is easier!) can I rent them on my laptop, then play them from "My Library" on my YouView box, as long as I don't play them first on my laptop? (although the facitlty to rent on the YouView box is no problem at all!)

Cheers

Andrew

And finally a suggestion, woudl it be possibel to implement a favourite function?  So when I am searching for movies and see something I might like to watch, but not straigth away click a favourite button, and then from say "My Favourites" rent the film at a later date when I want to watch it!

Retired Staff Member
Sara+LF

Hi Andrew,

Thank you so much for your post and welcome to our Community! You don't understand how much we appreciate your comments because yes, we did work hard on this service and it's great to hear it is paying off :smileyhappy:

In regards to purchasing movies on your laptop to save for later to watch on your Youview box, yes you can do that so long as you don't start watching the movie on your laptop or else the movie becomes locked to that device. Your purchased movies will remain in the My Library section of your account for 30 days from the date of purchase.

Your suggestion of a Favourite function is a perfect one, and something I would definitely like to see implemented into the Sky Store service, I would keep your eyes peeled for any future information regarding this via the Community forums, but I will definitely pass this suggestion on to the relevant team. In the meantime you may wish to bookmark any movies you wish to purchase on your laptop's browser.

Again, many thanks for posting such positive feedback, it means the world!:smileywink:

Kind Regards,

Sara
Community Coordinator

Occasional Visitor
Del+Murray

I've also sent this to you via the Contact Us page.

I've gone  back to try watching We're the Millers on my Youview box, after a break,

I now have a message "LOCKED TO ANOTHER DEVICE" .

The youview box is box I purchased the movie on, I only stopped watching the movie because the picture started to breakup and artifact,

My broadband connection isn't the issue, as I have a fibre connection with a constant 40Mb Down and 12 Mb Up, and all other video OD services on the youview box work perfectly!!!

I would love to be able to watch the movie, I would like you to sort this, or I would like to receive a full refund, as you cannot provide a service for what i've paid for.

I'm really really disappointed in the quality of the video on my first rental, to the point that it is unwatchable.

Thank you for your help.

Derek

Retired Staff Member
ClaireH86

Hi Derek,

Welcome to our Help Forum, and thanks for posting your feedback regarding your viewing experience on the YouView Box.

I understand how frustrating it can be trying to watch a movie and the picture breaks up. When this occurs the first thing that we would recommend that you do is to reset your YouView Box back to it's factory settings. Please be aware that this will also delete all recordings and any personal settings saved to your YouView Box. To reset the box, you would need to do the following:

• Press the YouView button on the remote (blue button with the 'Y' symbol).
  • Go to settings > Device management > Reset YouView Box > Choose 'Yes' (here you will get a warning message: "This will delete all of your recordings, and put all settings back to their default values. You'll also need to do the setup process again.") > Press OK to continue (or back to cancel).
  • Your YouView Box will restart and the setup wizard will begin automatically.

The setup process will need to be repeated after the factory reset.

Please note that once a movie has been rented you'll have 30 days to watch it and once you've pressed play you'll have 48 hours to complete your viewing. You'll only be able to watch the movie on the device that you first pressed play on, e.g if you've pressed play on your YouView Box, you'll only be able to complete the viewing on that specific YouView Box.

I'm unable to discuss any account specific information in a public forum, but as you've mentioned that you've also sent a message from the 'Contact Us' page you'll receive a reply specific to your account and query (providing you've signed in to your account before sending the email).

Please don't hesitate to get back to me should you require further assistance :smileyhappy:

Claire
Community Coordinator

Regular Visitor
BradfordBabe

Hi Claire

Sorryto contradict you, but Derek shouldn't have to delete his YouView box, simply press and hold the power button for 8 seconds and this will soft resetbthe box without deleting his recordings.If that fails then he can go into maintenance mode and resetvhis box WITHOUT deleting his recordings. Derek have a look at the YouView wbsite, and support, and search forch maintenance mode, sorry not on  apc, so can't supply url.

Cheers

Andrew

Retired Staff Member
ClaireH86

Hi Andrew

Thanks very much for this information. The reason that we recommend the previous method as a first step for troubleshooting YouView issues is because it has been tried and tested as working.

However, we are open to any new solutions or suggestions; so Derek, if you use Andrew's method and it works, please let us know as this will be our first recommendation for YouView troubleshooting in the future.

Please don't hesitate to get back to me should you require further assistance.

Thanks again for the tip :smileyhappy:

Claire
Community Coordinator

Occasional Visitor
claireirish

Hi we just rented movie with skystore using a you view box...all started then it froze with error 1100...first time users cud u help pls????:smileysad:
Retired Staff Member
ClaireH86

Hi claireirish

Thanks for your post and welcome to the Sky Store Online community :smileyhappy:

I understand what it's like when you're trying to view a movie and you receive an error code. Please accept my apologies for this, and I'll do everything I can to assist you.

Firstly, please ensure that you've completed the sign up process online using a PC, Mac or Laptop. To do this, please log into the Sky Store website using your Sky iD and if you need to complete the registration process you will be prompted to do so.

While doing this, it may also ask you to validate your Sky iD. If this happens, it'll re-direct you to sky.com and you need  to follow the steps on screen and then select 'Save'. Then go back to the Sky Store website and sign in where it'll then prompt you to complete the sign up process.

If this doesn't rectify the issue, I'd then recommened that you perform a soft reset of the YouView Box by unplugging all of the cables from the box, powering it off and then leaving it for 2 minutes before reconnecting the cables and powering it back on.

The next step would then be to reset your YouView Box back to it's factory settings. Please be aware that this will also delete all recordings and any personal settings saved to your YouView Box. To reset the box, you would need to do the following:

• Press the YouView button on the remote (blue button with the 'Y' symbol).
  • Go to settings > Device management > Reset YouView Box > Choose 'Yes' (here you will get a warning message: "This will delete all of your recordings, and put all settings back to their default values. You'll also need to do the setup process again.") > Press OK to continue (or back to cancel).
  • Your YouView Box will restart and the setup wizard will begin automatically.

The setup process will need to be repeated after the factory reset.

If the error still appears after completeing these steps,  please contact us  by Live Chat or email. If you sign into your Sky Store Online account before contacting us, we'll be able to see any account specific information. Our Live Chat service is available 10am - 10pm, 7 days a week.

Please don't hesitate to get back to me should you need further help.

Claire
Community Coordinator