Sky Q touch remote - how to control TV menu?

Researcher
Post 1 of 5

Sky Q touch remote - how to control TV menu?

I had Sky Q installed this morning and while the installer did a great demo of using the remote with the Sky Q box itself, we didn't test using the remote to change TV source to a different HDMI input. He told me to use the source  button, but that was it.

My TV requires additional input when you bring the source selection screen up - you have to use the up/down arrows to highlight it then click to select. This worked fine with my Sky + remote once it was in TV mode (you pressed TV > help > then could hightlight the required hdmi input and press Select). 

Is there any way I can change this function with the Sky remote or am I reverting back to having the TV remote to hand?

All Replies
Production Supervisor
Post 2 of 5

Re: Sky Q touch remote - how to control TV menu?

@Chuggy wrote:

I had Sky Q installed this morning and while the installer did a great demo of using the remote with the Sky Q box itself, we didn't test using the remote to change TV source to a different HDMI input. He told me to use the source  button, but that was it.

My TV requires additional input when you bring the source selection screen up - you have to use the up/down arrows to highlight it then click to select. This worked fine with my Sky + remote once it was in TV mode (you pressed TV > help > then could hightlight the required hdmi input and press Select). 

Is there any way I can change this function with the Sky remote or am I reverting back to having the TV remote to hand?

Hi @Chuggy. On most (but not all) TVs, if you repeat the presses on the Sky Q remote TV Source button it moves down the list of available sources. It then changes automatically to the last highlighted selection. If this doesn’t work then your choices are limited. Alternately with everything off. Powering on the Sky Q box may automatically power on the TV and set it to the correct input. 

Sky Q Silver Bundle with 1 Mini (Ethernet) Q071.000.29.00L. BT Superfast Fibre 2. Sony XE93 2160p 10 bit and X83C 1080p. iPad Pro 12.9 (2017). Harmony Elite.
Researcher
Post 3 of 5

Thanks for the suggestion,  I'm guessing the issue here may be my old TV (i think it's 7-8 years old now). So when it turns on it reverts back to the last hdmi input  that was used  when it was  last turned off.

I can keep pressing the source button to change the source, but the menu will not go away unless I use the TV remote to click it away. A small annoyance, but I guess I can live with it.

Researcher
Post 4 of 5

@sky+veteran wrote:

@Chuggy wrote:

Hi @Chuggy. On most (but not all) TVs, if you repeat the presses on the Sky Q remote TV Source button it moves down the list of available sources. It then changes automatically to the last highlighted selection. If this doesn’t work then your choices are limited. Alternately with everything off. Powering on the Sky Q box may automatically power on the TV and set it to the correct input. 

Thanks for the suggestion. Sadly when I turn the TV back on it remembers the last input it had on - I think it's a side effect of an old TV sadly. Annoyingly I can use the Sky remote to select the correct input by just pressing the source button multiple times, but the menu won't go away without additional input from the TV remote.

Unfortunately it looks like I'm just going to have to get used to dual wielding remotes until I get a new TV. Thanks again.

Oracle
Post 5 of 5

@Chuggy wrote:

@Chuggy Hiya unfortunately if your TV needs an addition select or confirm to select your source then the Sky A remote will not work to do this.

My previous TV a Samsung I could press the source button on the Sky Q remote keep pressing it until you highlighted which source you wanted and it would change over to that source.

My new  LG TV need an additional button press so I am in the same boat as you now that I need to keep the TV remote to hand

Edit to my original post above

My LG TV does change sources from the source button on the Q remote the Samsung changed almost instantly the LG waits for around 5 or so seconds after highlighting the source to changing to that source

I may have an Oracle badge but i'm still just a customer
Recommended Threads
11-04-2018 05:39 PM
27-04-2018 01:07 PM
18-03-2018 02:25 PM
02-04-2018 11:08 PM
24-04-2018 08:32 PM