Sky Q and the terrible RF interference it puts out!

Researcher
Post 1 of 79

Sky Q and the terrible RF interference it puts out!

I had sky Q installed at home yesterday, used to have the Sky HD+

After the instalation and updateing firmware with everything up and working i went to my radio shack as i am a radio ham. What i was greeted with was massive interference on the HF bands. 1.6mhz to 30mhz.

As i didnt experince anything with sky + i thought it might be something local, in this situation i can swap HF antenna's and get an idea, well surprise surprise all my antenna's have this massive interference. to the point i cant hear anything on my HF radio that isnt a 9+ to 20+ signal strengh.

So i proceeded to just unplug sky from the wall socket, and hey presto signal meter on HF radio is back to normal at S1 a low noise floor, so i can hear even weak signals at S2

After discovering it was the sky Q box causeing this dreadfull FR noise i looked into the settings to find it uses AV-11 mains ethernet which was displaying a Mac address so was active even though its connected direct to my router via ethernet cable that i used for sky+

I found no way to turn off this Mains AV-11 in the sky Q menu, or in the mini box menu, it seems its active even if you dont use it, or it runs in the back ground to boost the poor wifi between the sky Q box and mini box which cant keep up over wifi connection.

I then proceeded to call sky and ask why there sky Q box's have no option to disable the mains hardware,  to which they said there isnt anyway to disable the AV-11 mains hardware. it seems it runs if you use it or not.

So i then said that there was no way i can have this RF interference, Sky Q turned my house into a RF interference transmitter by switching it on and i would be returning the Sky Q equipment and have the old system back.

As i live close to the coast i can monitor and listen to distress calls from sea, and one day maybe save someones life, but not if i cant hear a distress call from someone in trouble with RF interference.

Its not just my radio it interferes with, but can be even a baby monitor, hospital equipment the list is endless.

A message to sky, rememeber there are others that have more to do than be stuck infront of the TV 24/7 and you should not be putting equipment to market that destroys the HF bands with interference because you cant get the system working over wifi properly.

Sky Q is going back, as its not fit for purpose and causes the most horrific RFI i have ever seen on the HF radio bands and beyond.

All Replies
Director
Post 2 of 79

Re: Sky Q and the terrible RF interference it puts out!

If you press home and scroll to settings then press 001 select all in quick succession you should then get to the installers menu, in there is a network option in which you want to maoe sure Powerline is turned Off.
First Assistant Director
Post 3 of 79

Also need to turn off Powerline on the Sky hub, but how?

Researcher
Post 4 of 79

The thing is power line is turned off via the installers menu, I just checked again, from what i gather from sky tech team is although you can turn off powerline in the installers menu all that does is not use it for connections. the hardware still functions and thats why you can still see its active mac adress in system info.

even when you dont use powerline feature it still remains active, so still causes interference, I have just performed a basic test to a HF monitor, and standing 50 meters from my home i can still pick up chronic interference, unplug sky Q and its gone.

Oracle
Post 5 of 79

Have you tried fitting mains interference suppression on the socket the Sky box is plugged into?

Researcher
Post 6 of 79

Yes i have a monster cable mains supression that the sky Q is plugged into. because i am a radio ham i also have ferrite cores on all mains leads to anything that might cause residual mains RF. Sky Q tech should never allow something hardware based that you cant turn off. can u imagine a houseing estate close to a hospital and that houseing estate all has Sky Q. The balloon effect of interference would be massive to all the sensitive equipment.

mains live you might be able to turn off the conectivity, but the hardware is live if its in use or not and causes massive interference across a wide spectrum, all the mains wireing cables that power your house are turned into an array antenna system that spurts out RFI in all directions. the mains wireing in all houses is not sheilded to stop this RFI output.

First Assistant Director
Post 7 of 79

It does seem irresponsible of Sky to rollout technology that enables, by default, Powerline transmission into potentially millions of homes, without any way of turning the transmission off.  I understand the OFCOM consultation on Powerline ended last year, but I haven't seen the outcome of that consultation yet.

Would be good if Sky could clarify if turning Powerline off should in fact also turn off the Powerline hardware and not just its use.

Researcher
Post 8 of 79

Ofcom know about the powerline issue, and you can be held responsible for RFI in a draft from june this year ofcom will remove any equipment casueing RFI to radio signals. as an example if the people next door were to get sky Q and could not turn off the mainslive, i could complain to ofcom and they would have to remove it or have it taken away.

GCHQ have also made it clear that mains networking is a big cause of interference, house hold wireing is not sheilded to protect others from this RFI.

And yes its a shame Sky have not looked into this issue futher, as always its astetics ( slick looking box) over hardware, built to a buget, and sold to genral public at profit and expecting any issues to just fade away.

Only having sky Q not 24hrs yet, i have found even the mini box has lost its signal a few times and this is with a booster in the loft direct above the sky Q box. yet with my decent wifi 5ghz asus router i can stream all day long 50 meters away from it in the loft. not 1 meter away from sky Q booster.

it seems as always the hardware is not born equal, when you build to a budget, like the free wifi routers given away from ISP suppliers there performance is only what you pay for,  very poor.

Production Supervisor
Post 9 of 79

tarbat wrote:

The option was present in the original Q hub firmware but remove in the later vrsions.

Post 10 of 79

simon194 wrote:

tarbat wrote:

The option was present in the original Q hub firmware but remove in the later vrsions.

Hi simon, the option is still there in the installer menu, thing is it does not turn off the hardware, all it does is turn off the ability to use it, the hardware is still running in the Sky Q box as it gives a mac adress in system info even when connectivity is turned off.  so in pricipall the hardware is still on beaming out its RFI even when not useing its connectivity.

Even sky say the hardware can not be turned off

Production Supervisor
Post 11 of 79

mattwells wrote:

A message to sky, rememeber there are others that have more to do than be stuck infront of the TV 24/7 and you should not be putting equipment to market that destroys the HF bands with interference because you cant get the system working over wifi properly.

The poweline tech is actually an integral part of the Airties technology used for the Q mesh and not something Sky added because they couldn't get it to work over wifi properly.

Post 12 of 79

simon194 wrote:

mattwells wrote:

The poweline tech is actually an integral part of the Airties technology used for the Q mesh and not something Sky added because they couldn't get it to work over wifi properly.

Thats why the hardware can not be turned off, but it still produces the worst RFI i have ever seen. and imagine a street full of Sky Q haha thank goodness there is ofcom 

Director of Photography
Post 13 of 79

mattwells wrote:

I had sky Q installed at home yesterday, used to have the Sky HD+

After the instalation and updateing firmware with everything up and working i went to my radio shack as i am a radio ham. What i was greeted with was massive interference on the HF bands. 1.6mhz to 30mhz.

As i didnt experince anything with sky + i thought it might be something local, in this situation i can swap HF antenna's and get an idea, well surprise surprise all my antenna's have this massive interference. to the point i cant hear anything on my HF radio that isnt a 9+ to 20+ signal strengh.

So i proceeded to just unplug sky from the wall socket, and hey presto signal meter on HF radio is back to normal at S1 a low noise floor, so i can hear even weak signals at S2

After discovering it was the sky Q box causeing this dreadfull FR noise i looked into the settings to find it uses AV-11 mains ethernet which was displaying a Mac address so was active even though its connected direct to my router via ethernet cable that i used for sky+

I found no way to turn off this Mains AV-11 in the sky Q menu, or in the mini box menu, it seems its active even if you dont use it, or it runs in the back ground to boost the poor wifi between the sky Q box and mini box which cant keep up over wifi connection.

I then proceeded to call sky and ask why there sky Q box's have no option to disable the mains hardware,  to which they said there isnt anyway to disable the AV-11 mains hardware. it seems it runs if you use it or not.

So i then said that there was no way i can have this RF interference, Sky Q turned my house into a RF interference transmitter by switching it on and i would be returning the Sky Q equipment and have the old system back.

As i live close to the coast i can monitor and listen to distress calls from sea, and one day maybe save someones life, but not if i cant hear a distress call from someone in trouble with RF interference.

Its not just my radio it interferes with, but can be even a baby monitor, hospital equipment the list is endless.

Sky Q is going back, as its not fit for purpose and causes the most horrific RFI i have ever seen on the HF radio bands and beyond.

I have new neighbours and they thought it was rfi from my transmitter, it was not difficult for them to see the beam in my garden. It is a semi and it is the adjoining house, I offered to go round and check the source etc but they did not want to know.

I had mains borne rfi from my Qbox but numerous ferrite rings in the mains lead seemed to cure it.

Anyway the neighbours have reported the interference (I am sure I am going to get on well with them) and there is going to be an investigation.

I have checked everything out with my transmitting equipment and I am sure it is not me as it still happened when I shut everything down.

It will be interesting if it gets as far as Ofcom for enforcement as there are going to be a lot of SkyQ boxes recalled if they are the cause.

=======================================
Believe nothing you hear and only half what you see.

BT Infinity, 2Tb box (was Silver) one mini. Connected by WiFi
Researcher
Post 14 of 79

I have new neighbours and they thought it was rfi from my transmitter, it was not difficult for them to see the beam in my garden. It is a semi and it is the adjoining house, I offered to go round and check the source etc but they did not want to know.

I had mains borne rfi from my Qbox but numerous ferrite rings in the mains lead seemed to cure it.

Anyway the neighbours have reported the interference (I am sure I am going to get on well with them) and there is going to be an investigation.

I have checked everything out with my transmitting equipment and I am sure it is not me as it still happened when I shut everything down.

It will be interesting if it gets as far as Ofcom for enforcement as there are going to be a lot of SkyQ boxes recalled if they are the cause.

Hi, I can only go on my experince, i have a good few radio's radios covering 500hz to 23cm 1.2ghz and have always considerd if i give any interference, no one has ever complained. today i did a little test with the Sky Q box to see how far the interference was able to travel. of course this will depend on your house wireing and its layout but seeing as most of the houses were built at the same time, all being single story properties i would imagine all wired nearly the same. most of the interference seems to be in the HF bands, although some spikes in higher bands.

I was amazed to find interference some 50 meters from my house, and to check if it was Sky Q i just unpluged it, and sure enough the interference was gone. even at 75 meters i still had an S4 signal of interference.  and yes i would imagine there will be many complaints about this to ofcom, in which they say they will take a tough stance against air born polloution with RFI.

the complaint will get as far as the people want to push it up the ladder, but like you i fear alot of the Sky Q box's will be returned when they dont pass RFI emission specs.

Director of Photography
Post 15 of 79

Gone are the good old days when I investigated rfi for the GPO, it is now up to the BBC to investigate and then pass to Ofcom for enforcement if necessary. I do not know how resourced the BBC are to investigate but Ofcom will enforce if asked by the BBC.

=======================================
Believe nothing you hear and only half what you see.

BT Infinity, 2Tb box (was Silver) one mini. Connected by WiFi