Sky Q and the terrible RF interference it puts out!

Researcher
Post 31 of 79

Re: Sky Q and the terrible RF interference it puts out!

By the way Chrisee i am a customer of long standing so it is customer to customer but of a higher

doownek wrote:

If that is the case then i will persue it else where, they have a responsabilty to comply to the Essential Requrments of the WT act not to put equipment onto the market that will stop othere telecommunications equipment operating in the way thay they were intended, they clearly are. I will first of all wait any reply from any of them. We at the RSGB take this sort of thing very seriously as it is a clear flaunt of the law.

order.

Researcher
Post 32 of 79

But clearly in this case they are not

Production Supervisor
Post 33 of 79

doownek wrote:

But clearly in this case they are not

Difficult to say. It may be that the samples they submitted to a testing house passed the relevant tests but issues since then have resulted in some boxes not being compliant. At least one ham radio operator in this thread has not experienced issues which suggests the problem does not affect all boxes or installations. 

Camera Operator
Post 34 of 79

doownek wrote:

By the way Chrisee i am a customer of long standing so it is customer to customer but of a highrev order.

@doownek What does that last part of your statement mean?

Researcher
Post 35 of 79

Not just a customer but representing all Radio amateurs whether or not memebers of the RSGB

Researcher
Post 36 of 79

It has been proved that ones that go for testing pass and once they go into production certain EMC filtering components are left out, this does not only apply to Sky products but to many consumer electronic products in general.

Camera Operator
Post 37 of 79

doownek wrote:

By the way Chrisee i am a customer of long standing so it is customer to customer but of a higher order.

@doownek Ah right higher order 😉. But what exactly makes you a customer of a higher order than the rest of us minions 😂

Production Supervisor
Post 38 of 79

doownek wrote:

It has been proved that ones that go for testing pass and once they go into production certain EMC filtering components are left out, this does not only apply to Sky products but to many consumer electronic products in general.

Good grief! It beggars belief doesn't it?

Oracle
Post 39 of 79

doownek wrote:

If that is the case then i will persue it else where, they have a responsabilty to comply to the Essential Requrments of the WT act not to put equipment onto the market that will stop othere telecommunications equipment operating in the way thay they were intended, they clearly are. I will first of all wait any reply from any of them. We at the RSGB take this sort of thing very seroisly as it is a clear flaunt of the law.

Calm down I don't work for or represent Sky and they can look after themselves. 

If you have a formal question I would write to them at their registered office address in the normal way any formal request should be made. This is a forum where customers help customers rather than a communication channel with Sky corporate. 

==========================

Oracles are customers and people too.
Oracle
Post 40 of 79

doownek wrote:

That's quite an allegation to make. I hope for your sake you're able to prove your claim that Sky omit filtering components from some of their production models, especially if you are, as you claim, speaking in an official role on behalf of the RSGB.

If you are attempting to contact Sky in an official capacity regarding RF interference, this forum isn't the place to do so. It's for customer to customer discussion/support only.  You'd be better off contacting Sky's customer services and asking them for an engineering contact. I notice the chair of the EMC Committee of the RSGB had announced he was attempting to contact Sky back in November 2015 about this - do you know if anything came of it? ( http://www.thersgb.org/forums/index.php?threads/sky-q-fluid-viewing.173/ ) .

For a formal response from Sky you might be better submitting a formal written complaint ( https://www.sky.com/help/articles/how-to-make-a-complaint ) . That's far more likely to result in a definitive response than a post on a customer to customer forum.

Those with Q boxes who encounter interference - have you disabled powerline support ? It defaulted to on after the last firmware update.

Researcher
Post 41 of 79

Well we are getting somewhere now so far Sky have said on several occasion sthat it cannot be disabled now you tell me that it can, this is all i need to know so perhaps you could inform me how this is acheived as this problem is on a brand new insatllation.

As for me contacting someone technical  at Sky then if i do not get the answer from here then i will have to  also concerning the question about the chair of the RSGB EMCC then i will get an answer to that one as i am also moderator of that forum and a memeber of the EMCC.  May i ask why you had reason to look on there in the first place, always nice to know who is looking. Finally not for one moment was i suggesting that Sky are knowledgable in components being left of of production models in any way shape or form, after all they do not manufactor them, but it has been proved that in some cases this does happen and they are the ones that are polluting the RF spectrum and that is the reason i run the EMC Help Desk to help fellow Radio Amateurs in trying to locate and solve RFI problems of this nature which is what i am doing here today for a case passed to me earlier

Oracle
Post 42 of 79

I looked on there because I googled to see what other amateur radio users have been saying about Q and whether there are widespread reports of problems.

There are several posts on here about disabling powerline via the engineer's menu - for example http://helpforum.sky.com/t5/Sky-Q/Installers-Menu-gone/td-p/2498151 .

You very clearly stated that once devices go into production, "certain EMC filtering components are left out " and that "this does not only apply to Sky products" . That very clearly reads to me that you're claiming components are omitted from product produced for Sky. I hope you either can prove that, or are prepared to clearly state that no devices produced for Sky have filtering components omitted.
Researcher
Post 43 of 79

I cannot state that as i do not have proof of this only to say that in general this does happen quite a lot.

Thank you for yur help as this is why i came here for support as the thread started on this subject and was never resolved.

Regards Ken

Sound Supervisor
Post 44 of 79

Surprising that the RSGB are happy for anyone representing their organisation to make such claims on a public forum.

Director of Photography
Post 45 of 79

Maybe they aren't listening ; )
Sky Q from April 2016 (Silver & 1 Mini, both over ethernet) Multiscreen, Cinema, Box Sets, BT Home Hub 6 (ethernet), BT ADSL (17Mbs), Lenovo Tab 2 A7 (KitKat), Wileyfox Swift (Nougat), Toshiba 32L6353, Samsung UE22F5400