Sky Q and the terrible RF interference it puts out!

Researcher
Post 16 of 79

Re: Sky Q and the terrible RF interference it puts out!

bob1234 wrote:

Gone are the good old days when I investigated rfi for the GPO, it is now up to the BBC to investigate and then pass to Ofcom for enforcement if necessary. I do not know how resourced the BBC are to investigate but Ofcom will enforce if asked by the BBC.

you can complain direct to ofcom if you want, you can via the internet. they will charge you £100 if its your own problem, if the problem is not you, the offending equipment can be taken away or switched off, if it is switched on again, bit like a gas board sticker on a leaking boiler, the offenders can expect a fine.

and being a RFI investigator for the GPO you would have had the nick name the buzzbys

Director of Photography
Post 17 of 79

mattwells wrote:

and being a RFI investigator for the GPO you would have had the nick name the buzzbys

A bit earlier than that.

=======================================
Believe nothing you hear and only half what you see.

BT Infinity, 2Tb box (was Silver) one mini. Connected by WiFi
Community Manager
Post 18 of 79

We appreciate the time individuals have taken to outline their issue in detail and we've passed the information on to our product teams to be looked at.

Should we need any further information I'll let you know.

Thanks,

Kei
Community Manager

Take a look at the latest exclusive Sky customer offers
Boom Operator
Post 19 of 79

I don't wish to jinx myself but I'm also a licenced Amateur and have Sky Q. I'm either extremely lucky or there's an inherent fault with your box as I do not suffer any PLT interference from my Q box. I do get some RFI on some of the non Amateur bands but that's coming from elsewhere and was present before I had Q installed so it's not Q at fault.
As an experiment, I enabled the facility in the menu but I cannot detect any change in interference levels so that either confirms it's always on but has no effect regardless or it's disabled elsewhere.

My Q BB router used to have a setting to enable or disable power line but that option is no longer there so Sky seem to have hidden it. I wonder if it was also enabled in your router?

Anyway, touching wood (lots of it) I don't seem to have the same issues.

Researcher
Post 20 of 79

I hope it stays that way for you, but with free sat ultra hd box no such interference. If my sky Q box was faulty then shame on sky's producers of said Q box, but have to say it was brand new in sealed box so just cant say for sure.

Hope it stays away for you though
Runner
Post 21 of 79

I also am a radio amateur of over 30 years and have read of quite a number of other amateurs on the forums that have experienced very similiar circumstances to you. I had considered replacing my three SKY HD+ boxes with Sky Q, however until these issues are addressed I cannot consider the move. Perhaps to put peoples minds to rest Sky should consider testing for themselves and putting out a public statement on their sales page. The testing would not take much, as SW radios are readily available and do not require technical skills to operate! Therefore their lack of engagement on this issue can only be taken as an acknowledgement to the problems others are experiencing and a denial until forced by Comreg or OfCom. Perhaps a proactive approach by Sky may win them customers rather than the denial which only serves to act as a reason not to adopt their new and attractive package. Please Sky will you address this matter or issue a public statement with advice on how to counter the problems that folks are experiencing?

Camera Assistant
Post 22 of 79

post removed. 

Oracle
Post 23 of 79

@Chimpishuk

You might want to delete your post as this was before powerline was added to the menu.

Camera Assistant
Post 24 of 79

@oldfella done.  Sorry about that. 

Community Manager
Post 25 of 79

We investigated the cases outlined in this thread as well as offering home visits to test the reported setups. In all cases nothing was found to suggest our equipment was causing additional interference. 

Thanks,

Kei
Community Manager

Take a look at the latest exclusive Sky customer offers
Researcher
Post 26 of 79

So Sky can you inform us of how you conducted your tests and what equipment you used  and what frequencies checked please.

Regards

Ken Underwood

G3SDW

EMC Help Desk

RSGB

Researcher
Post 27 of 79

As a follow up some months later, my brother got sky Q and pleased to say he lives a good few miles from myself, as an experiment just to see if my box was faulty he brought round his sky Q box.

And yes the said interference was back, now I use an IC-7800mkII a Kenwood TS-2000X and ICOM IC-7300 to list a few and interference was present on all radio's on the HF bands.

Now that's 2 sky Q box's and 3 months apart from testing. Soon as I plug in the sky Q box it's like 20db + over 9 interference when not plugged in mains socket it's S3 signal to noise.

So nothing changed in them Sky Q box's for me interference wise. Still really bad and I also would like to know Sky's testing procedure.
Oracle
Post 28 of 79

doownek wrote:

So Sky can you inform us of how you conducted your tests and what equipment you used  and what frequencies checked please.

Regards

Ken Underwood

G3SDW

EMC Help Desk

RSGB

This is a customer to customer forum and Sky rarely post themselves @Kei+M 's posts in this thread were a rare exception so you may have to use a different method to get an answer. Sky have never publicly discussed their testing procedures in my experience.

==========================

Oracles are customers and people too.
Researcher
Post 29 of 79

If that is the case then i will persue it else where, they have a responsabilty to comply to the Essential Requrments of the WT act not to put equipment onto the market that will stop othere telecommunications equipment operating in the way thay they were intended, they clearly are. I will first of all wait any reply from any of them. We at the RSGB take this sort of thing very seroisly as it is a clear flaunt of the law.

Director of Photography
Post 30 of 79

doownek wrote:

If that is the case then i will persue it else where, they have a responsabilty to comply to the Essential Requrments of the WT act not to put equipment onto the market that will stop othere telecommunications equipment operating in the way thay they were intended, they clearly are. I will first of all wait any reply from any of them. We at the RSGB take this sort of thing very seroisly as it is a clear flaunt of the law.

Yes they are also obliged by law under EU directives to ensure that the equipment complies with EMC requirements in full.