Sky Q WiFi Hot Spots

Researcher
Post 1 of 8

Sky Q WiFi Hot Spots

Can anybody explain how the wifi hotspots works with the new Sky Q set up?

I have just ordered Sky Q Silver with two mini boxes and arranged for my broadband to move from BT to Sky.

My Broadband connection comes into the back of the house and wifi does not reach where the TV is.  At the moment I use a Devolo power line setup to get Internet to my Sky HD box.  I also have a Cat-5 ethernet cable run into the front of the house which has a Apple Wifi box feeding wifi into the front of the house.

I have read that the powerline won't work from day one on Sky Q and I am wondering how I should set things up.

I am wondering if my Devolo kit will clash with the Sky Q and also if the boxes will work with wifi not supplied by the Sky hub.  Finally I am wondering how the wifi is repeated around all the Sky Q boxes (Silver and Minis) are they just repeaters?  Repeaters half the amount of wifi bandwidth available.

All Replies
First Assistant Director
Post 2 of 8

Re: Sky Q WiFi Hot Spots

I'm not sure that much has been said about how the hotspots work, but I do recall reading THIS IMO it should only use WiFi if a faster connection mechanism is not available like wired or potentially powerline.

When it appears, Sky's power line technology will be Homeplug AV1.1 compatible apparently (shame its not 2.0) and you should still be able to use your Devolo as a separate network to the Sky one under its own passkey. All Homeplug certified devices are interoperable, but the overall throughput would of course be shared by the multiple devices.

Drx-890 (4f31a2, Main, 2TB, Active Mode, Powerline 1200 av2)
Drx-895 (4f3151, Secondary, Active Mode, Hardwired, S.F. Mode)
Zen Unlimited Fibre 2 + Sky Fibre Unlimited (STB's only)
Sound Designer
Post 3 of 8

I have a similar question:

If my Sky Q box is connected by wifi to the Sky hub, how can the Silver box also act as a wifi hotspot? Is it a receiver and a source? Also, if it is connected by wifi, does the ethernet port on the back of the Silver box become a 'source' that I could connect to my TV, which doesn't have wifi?

Andy.

First Assistant Director
Post 4 of 8

Based upon what I have read then yes I do think it would in effect be be a receiver and a source, possibly using 5Ghz for the backhaul for the mesh and acting as a 2.4Ghz hotspot for potential clients. I don't think that the Ethernet port could become a source for any other non WiFi equipment though...

Sound Designer
Post 5 of 8

Thanks for the clarification. 

Researcher
Post 6 of 8

I wonder if it will be possible to use the Ethernet port as a back haul for the wifi hotspot.

info around the wifi hotspot and in build power line support is very sketchy 

it it would be great to see a manual

First Assistant Director
Post 7 of 8

I would hope that the Ethernet port and eventually powerline would both be backhaul options for the WiFi hotspot. Totally agree about a manual! 

Runner
Post 8 of 8

I got told by the engineer who installed mine the wifi booster bit isn't working yet. :-(