Sky Q Hub Terrible wifi range

Answered
Go to Answer
Highlighted
Sound Designer
Post 1 of 29

Sky Q Hub Terrible wifi range

Hello

Changed my old  Sky router  SR102  for the Q Hub  and  the WiFi range is woefully poor compared to the old router .

I guess I was  silly expecting it to perform better ...     it's not as good by a  long way .  Be warned anyone on Sky Broadband  who chooses to upgrade  their old and better  SR102.

Oh   and 5ghz is   only useful for the same room as the Q hub  or signal  drops off .. sigh .  

Apart from that ...Happy New Year everybody  xx

Answer

Best Answers
Answer
Sound Designer
Post 12 of 29

Re: Sky Q Hub Terrible wifi range

no worries

figured it out myself .  

All Replies
Managing Editor
Post 2 of 29

On the other hand my Q hub performs signifcantly better than the SR102 and covers pretty much the whole house including where I had to set up a second access point where the SR102 wouldn't reach.

Post 3 of 29

As @simon194 points out the Sky Q hub has very much better wifi performance to the old SR102 in all the expert reviews and in my experience. So something is wrong and my first guess would be interference what other wireless devices do you have? Have you tried changing the wifi channels? 

==========================

Oracles are customers and people too.
Runner
Post 4 of 29

Had sky q for 3 weeks now and find it great - we had the hub a few weeks earlier and have had no problem and the multi screen works as a  wifi booster too so we are more than happy with everything 

Sound Designer
Post 5 of 29

2 bars on devices using  Q Hub  and 4 on SR102   .  I've  had a Google and I'm not the only one to have noticed it's flaky range .  As for interference ,  why would the Q be more susceptible  than the SR102 when I'm just swapping one for the other to notice this difference in range ?   Also speed on my Android TV uising ookla is better with SR102 .  

Oracle
Post 6 of 29

Janet38 wrote:

2 bars on devices using  Q Hub  and 4 on SR102   .  I've  had a Google and I'm not the only one to have noticed it's flaky range .  As for interference ,  why would the Q be more susceptible  than the SR102 when I'm just swapping one for the other to notice this difference in range ?   Also speed on my Android TV uising ookla is better with SR102 .  

Simply the new rooter may be using the same channel as another nearby network while the old hub was not. A few moments work could save you a lot of frustration. You choice.

Sound Designer
Post 7 of 29

I am using the same non overlapping channel as the SR102   channel 11 .  Channel 1 and 6  is in use by BT .

Wifi analyser  shows 11 to be the best  , and directly compared SR102 has much better reach  and shows signal strength of SR to be   -49 dbm  whilst   Q is at  -64 .  Same placement same channel.

Oracle
Post 8 of 29

Janet38 wrote:

I am using the same non overlapping channel as the SR102   channel 11 .  Channel 1 and 6  is in use by BT .

Wifi analyser  shows 11 to be the best  , and directly compared SR102 has much better reach  and shows signal strength of SR to be   -49 dbm  whilst   Q is at  -64 .  Same placement same channel.

It is possible you have a faulty hub - certainly my one is ok. See this review http://www.alphr.com/networking/1002942/sky-q-hub-review-finally-sky-makes-a-router-that-doesnt-suck

Researcher
Post 9 of 29

Help me with this one.  I think WiFi range is poor so using WiFi Analyser on 2.5Ghz it shows I am on channel 6 and shows a real dropoff in signal.. It recommends channels 1 or 12/13 so i change the channel and lo and behold the new channel shows the worst performance and WiFi Analyser recommends going back to channel 6. I did this and guess what.... There is nothing else showing on WiFi analyser to compete.  At a a loss...

Sound Designer
Post 10 of 29

Hi Chrisee

I think the router is ok , and some folks have had 3 or 4 changes and it made no difference , i think its all down to the house layout . My old SR102  trounces the Q . And a few others have found the same .  It might work ok for some but for me and others it doesnt and  for that reason i will be returning it and sticking to the SR box . 5GHZ is only useful for same room and  pointless as i get 30 mbs wired and 25 to  29.9 wireless on 2..4GHZ. throughout the building even upstairs. 

Thanks though to everyone for the replies . Smiley Happy

Sound Designer
Post 11 of 29

Decided to try the Q Hub one last time in a different area, but signal was much weaker than the old router .

Same channel etc ...   but i have now noticed another issue  with it ..  when viewing emails  all the embeded photos and icons are all  "X "   like below !!     Is it duff  ?    Thanks .

Answer
Sound Designer
Post 12 of 29

no worries

figured it out myself .  

Researcher
Post 13 of 29

Hi Janet.

Could you share your resolution of the problems please? Also suffering.

Thanks

Sound Designer
Post 14 of 29

Hello

If you have any walls between the new router and any devices   forget it  ,   the wifi range is shocking on 2.4 and  5 . 

Significantly less than the old square sky router .  Some rooms I can't get a connection  , but with the older router I have 2 bars  at the furthest room .   Placing the hub in a central location might help if you can do that . 

Bar that , exchange the hub for the older router .  

Sound Designer
Post 15 of 29

Janet38 wrote:

Hello

If you have any walls between the new router and any devices   forget it  ,   the wifi range is shocking on 2.4 and  5 . 

Significantly less than the old square sky router .  Some rooms I can't get a connection  , but with the older router I have 2 bars  at the furthest room .   Placing the hub in a central location might help if you can do that . 

Bar that , exchange the hub for the older router .  

People's mileage will always vary on things like router performance. For us the Sky Q hub works perfectly well over 3 floors of a 4 level (including basement) not insubstantial Victorian house. The wireless signal won't reach to the top of the house but powerline adaptors take care of that for us.

I gave up using the previous Sky SR102 for wireless coverage and had to resort to using it as a modem with a separate Linksys router handiling the wireless.

Go figure.

Recommended Threads