Sky Q 2tb box keeps turning off

First Assistant Director
Post 16 of 49

Re: Sky Q 2tb box keeps turning off

@Pyramid5779 wrote:

And I can assure you it is the box.  Quite a feat if my TV can throw up a message telling me the box will soon turn off and then turns it off.

Ok then but as there’s nothing wrong there’s nothing to fix so you are wasting your time posting on here for  advice. 

Its the TV that’s shutting down as you are not changing an input on it

Do yourself a favour and check power settings in TV menu

No need to apologise when you realise and set it correctly 

BT Ultra Infinity. Apple Time Capsule. Sky Q 2TB watching UHD through a LG OLED55B7 and listening through a soundbox. Multiroom with 2 miniboxes
Producer
Post 17 of 49

If you are actually getting a message about the box post a screen shot so you can get more advice.

It is annoying as my TV shuts down and I have yet to find the power setting to stop it. For some reason I have to press a button on the TV remote as pressing the mute button on the Sky controller which controls the TV does not work and I rarely use the TV remote.

Production Supervisor
Post 18 of 49

I've had a message come up on my TV before now, an LG set although the make is irrelevent, telling me the same and to press any button on the remote to stop it going into stand by.  However the message says nothing about the Sky box and is MOST DEFINITELY the TV that is about to shut down and NOT SKY.  It's rare but it has happened.  I'm convinced you will find a setting somewhere within your TV settings to adjust this.   And a wet cloth within the kitchen settings for the egg problem Smiley Very Happy

Sound Designer
Post 19 of 49

Firstly, I am not looking for advice, I am responding to the original post to inform him the same thing is happening to me.  It is easily resolved, I just turn Eco Mode off on the Sky Q box.  Secondly, I am not stupid.  Whenever I have tried Eco Mode and not input to the box for an extended period of time the box informs me via the TV screen that it will go into standby mode shortly and does so if I still do not press a button on the remote.  I do not have any Eco or timer settings activated on my TV.

I may have a smart TV but it is not smart enough to recognise I have Eco Mode turned on in Sky Q,  recognise I have not input to Sky Q for hours and then put the box into standby.

Sky Q 2TB, LG OLED65G6V, Logitech z906 5.1, Logitech Harmony Elite, Panasonic DMP-UB900.
First Assistant Director
Post 20 of 49

Anyone else ever seen their Sky Q box tell you at any time of the day that it’s going to shutdown if you don’t press a button? 

BT Ultra Infinity. Apple Time Capsule. Sky Q 2TB watching UHD through a LG OLED55B7 and listening through a soundbox. Multiroom with 2 miniboxes
Production Supervisor
Post 21 of 49

@Pyramid5779 wrote:

Firstly, I am not looking for advice, I am responding to the original post to inform him the same thing is happening to me.  It is easily resolved, I just turn Eco Mode off on the Sky Q box.  Secondly, I am not stupid.  Whenever I have tried Eco Mode and not input to the box for an extended period of time the box informs me via the TV screen that it will go into standby mode shortly and does so if I still do not press a button on the remote.  I do not have any Eco or timer settings activated on my TV.

I may have a smart TV but it is not smart enough to recognise I have Eco Mode turned on in Sky Q,  recognise I have not input to Sky Q for hours and then put the box into standby.

The on screen message states the Sky box will go into standby?  Actually states "SKY" on the screen?  And this is during the day as opposed to the early hours when it would normally go into standby for house keeping?  If that's correct it's strange and doesn't appear to have ever been heard of.  Is it possible to replicate this and, as @bob1234 requested, post a screen shot please?

Sound Designer
Post 22 of 49

Will do.  The last time It happened was one evening a couple of weeks ago when I tried using Eco Mode again.  The box was on but I was watching stuff on YouTube via the TV internal app and had not input to the Sky Q box for perhaps a few hours  A semi-transparent message came up on the top half of the screen.  I cannot remember the exact wording but along the lines of "Your box will shortly go into standby mode.  Please press any button on your Sky Q remote to stop this happening".  I did nothing and the box entered standby within about a minute.

In the past when I have tried Eco Mode the TV and box have been on and I have been doing something or other around the house and later noticed the box was in standby so presumably I have missed the message.

The problem with replicating it is catching the message but I will give it a go tomorrow.

Sky Q 2TB, LG OLED65G6V, Logitech z906 5.1, Logitech Harmony Elite, Panasonic DMP-UB900.
Camera Assistant
Post 23 of 49

The only way the Q box will go into standby in eco at the wrong time is if the time is wrong in the box. 

First Assistant Director
Post 24 of 49

If I remember rightly @bob1234 you have a Sony? (I’m not a stalker honestly)

Details how to stop a Sony going into standby in link (this is for Android and non Android)

https://www.sony.co.uk/electronics/support/articles/00091584

Sound Designer
Post 25 of 49

@JonW42 wrote:

The only way the Q box will go into standby in eco at the wrong time is if the time is wrong in the box. 

Nope, time is correct.

Oracle
Post 26 of 49

@skinner1965 wrote:

Anyone else ever seen their Sky Q box tell you at any time of the day that it’s going to shutdown if you don’t press a button? 

@skinner1965 If the box is set to Eco or Active mode  then this is correct as if there is no activity ie Channel changing etc the box will switch off but does display a message. When set to none you do not get this message and the box should not shut down. I'm not sure of the set time of inactivity it's somewhere between 2 and 4 hours.

I have to leave our main box on none as mother-in-law lives with us and tends to put the TV on when she gets up leaves it on BBC1 she complained the box was switching off 😀😀😀

I may have an Oracle badge but i'm still just a customer
Sound Designer
Post 27 of 49

@Laing1 wrote:

@skinner1965 wrote:

@skinner1965 If the box is set to Eco or Active mode  then this is correct as if there is no activity ie Channel changing etc the box will switch off but does display a message. When set to none you do not get this message and the box should not shut down. I'm not sure of the set time of inactivity it's somewhere between 2 and 4 hours.

I have to leave our main box on none as mother-in-law lives with us and tends to put the TV on when she gets up leaves it on BBC1 she complained the box was switching off 😀😀😀

Thanks for verifiying it does happen.  So many armchair "experts" on here.  And so belittling in their responses.

Producer
Post 28 of 49

@skinner1965 wrote:

If I remember rightly @bob1234 you have a Sony? (I’m not a stalker honestly)

Details how to stop a Sony going into standby in link (this is for Android and non Android)

https://www.sony.co.uk/electronics/support/articles/00091584

@skinner1965If that is what stalkers do we could do with a few more🙂 thank you.

I have turned the standby off, unfortunately my set, an Android one does not have option 1.3 or I could turn off both the box and TV with one click.

First Assistant Director
Post 29 of 49

@Pyramid5779 wrote:

@Laing1 wrote:

@skinner1965 wrote:

Thanks for verifiying it does happen.  So many armchair "experts" on here.  And so belittling in their responses.

https://www.sky.com/help/articles/using-the-standby-settings

Nothing about what you are describing 

(still not convinced)

Best wishes

Arm chair expert

Director of Photography
Post 30 of 49

Walked into sitting room at 2pm today and eldest had left TV on and Q box on pause and message from Q box at top of screen saying it was about to go into standby due to inactivity.

Yes message was from Q box not TV

Recommended Threads
11-04-2018 05:39 PM
27-04-2018 01:07 PM
18-03-2018 02:25 PM
02-04-2018 11:08 PM
24-04-2018 08:32 PM