SKY Q 2TB UPGRADE?

Answered
Go to Answer
Highlighted
Researcher
Post 1 of 9

SKY Q 2TB UPGRADE?

My story so far....

I'm currently heading towards the end of my current 12 month subscription which before we go any further is and has been on a discounted 50% package equal to only £40 a month. That includes every channel, Sports, Movies & box sets in HD, it's a great package at a great price, how I got it for that price is another story. 

Now I want to upgrade and where the fun begins...

After speaking to numerous sky reps (cancellations, retention & value departments from all areas of the country Cardiff Bay, London, Warrington & Livingston) and being thrown around by their automated phone service I finally speak to someone to discuss my options.

Now I wanted to get my hands on the 2TB Sky Q box and mini purely as I wanted the 4K UHD service, initially they said they could offer both boxes for just £55 instead of the usual £100 (£60 2TB & £40 mini) and give me 40% discount on the TV package to keep this somewhere close to what I was paying now. Great I thought a whole package with 2 new boxes and multiscreen for £50 a month, couldn't get an engineer here for 3 weeks but I'll wait, so I placed the order. 

I then receive an Email, it's been put through as a 1TB box? So I get back on the phone. The conversation went briefly like this...

I'm very sorry we can't offer the 2TB box at that price you need to pay another £45 taking it to the original £100 on top of that we can only offer a 10% discount on Sky Q so your bill will £87 a month instead of £92. (By the way this is just for TV only my fibre is with BT)

This obviously massively contradicts what was said the previous day and they will listen to the conversation and come back to me. 

I questioned why they charged so much when effectively my "TV package" hasn't changed it's just the hardware and the fact the mini box doesn't work with my BT homehub 6 renders it useless unless I'm will to run a cable up to the bedroom?!

I said firstly renew my package with the 40% discount  then add Sky Q after with the extra £12 multiscreen taking it to £62 a month. I said "why should I pay £87?" He said "it's for the cost of the hardware" which I replied "with a mobile phone contract I pay more because of the cost of the latest handset which I get to keep at the end. With Sky Q, Sky always own these new boxes so what am I paying for?" His reply "it's because of electrical breakdown or other faults that may occur" 

You get 12months warranty with electrical products anyway so I have no idea what these people are charging for. I already have sky Go free of charge on devices so it isn't that. I can't use the mini as an extender so I loose out there. 

I think they need to be more competitive if they want people to take up an offer. 

I have just received a new sparkly UHD 4K STB from BT for absolutely nothing and they reduced my Fibre BB for the coming year to include BT sport in 4K.

Sky max fibre isn't even available where I am but BT have it at 72Mbps! Sky can offer 30Mbps for £47 including line rental which is only £4 cheaper than my BT, please don't make me laugh! 

Get a grip SKY no one is falling for your nonsense unless you have more money than sense. I'm looking forward to their response in 3 days 👌🏼

Answer

Best Answers
Answer
Production Supervisor
Post 7 of 9

Re: SKY Q 2TB UPGRADE?

Warranty periods aren't relevant for Q, because the hardware is on 'free loan' from Sky for the duration of the satellite subscription, continues to be owned by them, and is for them to repair (or, more realistically, replace). The up-front cost is technically a combination of installation fee and 'activation charge', not a purchase.

Sky Q from April 2016 (Silver & 1 Mini, both over ethernet) Multiscreen, Cinema, Box Sets, BT Home Hub 4 (ethernet), BT ADSL (17Mbs),
Lenovo Tab 2 A7 (KitKat), Wileyfox Swift (Cyanogen OS 13.1.5 - Android 6.01), Toshiba 32L6353, Samsung UE22F5400
All Replies
Researcher
Post 2 of 9

My thoughts exactly, I seriously think the reps at Sky are misinformed or just trying to sell us their own hub of course. He categorically stated it would not work with BT and I needed the sky hub 😏

Oracle
Post 3 of 9

MarkAPhilpot wrote:

My story so far....

I'm currently heading towards the end of my current 12 month subscription which before we go any further is and has been on a discounted 50% package equal to only £40 a month. That includes every channel, Sports, Movies & box sets in HD, it's a great package at a great price, how I got it for that price is another story. 

Now I want to upgrade and where the fun begins...

After speaking to numerous sky reps (cancellations, retention & value departments from all areas of the country Cardiff Bay, London, Warrington & Livingston) and being thrown around by their automated phone service I finally speak to someone to discuss my options.

Now I wanted to get my hands on the 2TB Sky Q box and mini purely as I wanted the 4K UHD service, initially they said they could offer both boxes for just £55 instead of the usual £100 (£60 2TB & £40 mini) and give me 40% discount on the TV package to keep this somewhere close to what I was paying now. Great I thought a whole package with 2 new boxes and multiscreen for £50 a month, couldn't get an engineer here for 3 weeks but I'll wait, so I placed the order. 

I then receive an Email, it's been put through as a 1TB box? So I get back on the phone. The conversation went briefly like this...

I'm very sorry we can't offer the 2TB box at that price you need to pay another £45 taking it to the original £100 on top of that we can only offer a 10% discount on Sky Q so your bill will £87 a month instead of £92. (By the way this is just for TV only my fibre is with BT)

This obviously massively contradicts what was said the previous day and they will listen to the conversation and come back to me. 

I questioned why they charged so much when effectively my "TV package" hasn't changed it's just the hardware and the fact the mini box doesn't work with my BT homehub 6 renders it useless unless I'm will to run a cable up to the bedroom?!

I said firstly renew my package with the 40% discount  then add Sky Q after with the extra £12 multiscreen taking it to £62 a month. I said "why should I pay £87?" He said "it's for the cost of the hardware" which I replied "with a mobile phone contract I pay more because of the cost of the latest handset which I get to keep at the end. With Sky Q, Sky always own these new boxes so what am I paying for?" His reply "it's because of electrical breakdown or other faults that may occur" 

You get 12months warranty with electrical products anyway so I have no idea what these people are charging for. I already have sky Go free of charge on devices so it isn't that. I can't use the mini as an extender so I loose out there. 

I think they need to be more competitive if they want people to take up an offer. 

I have just received a new sparkly UHD 4K STB from BT for absolutely nothing and they reduced my Fibre BB for the coming year to include BT sport in 4K.

Sky max fibre isn't even available where I am but BT have it at 72Mbps! Sky can offer 30Mbps for £47 including line rental which is only £4 cheaper than my BT, please don't make me laugh! 

Get a grip SKY no one is falling for your nonsense unless you have more money than sense. I'm looking forward to their response in 3 days 👌🏼

@MarkAPhilpot

T

There is no problem with BT HH 6 and Q .

The only thing with non Sky Broadband is that the mini will not be a hotspot for WiFi

Oracle
Post 4 of 9

SDR wrote:

I don't understand why you think the mini won't work with BT, it will,what you can't have is the Sky Mesh. As long as you have a good wifi signal all will work well.

@SDR

You get the mesh but not the hotspots

Researcher
Post 5 of 9

Thank you for the confirmation on that side. Great Forum and some great advice on here. 

Managing Editor
Post 6 of 9

Of course you do @oldfella old mind not at its best in the am 😂

Stuart R
Answer
Production Supervisor
Post 7 of 9

Warranty periods aren't relevant for Q, because the hardware is on 'free loan' from Sky for the duration of the satellite subscription, continues to be owned by them, and is for them to repair (or, more realistically, replace). The up-front cost is technically a combination of installation fee and 'activation charge', not a purchase.

Sky Q from April 2016 (Silver & 1 Mini, both over ethernet) Multiscreen, Cinema, Box Sets, BT Home Hub 4 (ethernet), BT ADSL (17Mbs),
Lenovo Tab 2 A7 (KitKat), Wileyfox Swift (Cyanogen OS 13.1.5 - Android 6.01), Toshiba 32L6353, Samsung UE22F5400
Camera Operator
Post 8 of 9

After all that time wasting...they do that.

put a request to cancel the whole package in , then call them later down the line to talk about it again.. 

simple...dont listen to blabbering advice from these pro sky memberz!

---------------------------------------
Cranjis Mcbasketball 21 .5years Tv/Networkin Xperienc
Researcher
Post 9 of 9

It's their so called Value team who keep meddling with offers that don't exist. Mainly the Welsh contingent 😂 They really like to tell you that they are "Value Trained" 

im really looking forward to hear what they say on Friday. He mentioned a bespoke package if the conversation was deemed their fault for misinterpretation of the deal then charged me for something else. How did they think they would get away from me not noticing it was a 1TB instead of the 2TB that he sold to me. 

Time will tell, your right though I will cancel the complete order if the result isn't in my favour. 

Recommended Threads