Re: Dolby Digital over HDMI

Answered
Go to Answer
Highlighted
Sound Designer
Post 1 of 7

Should my Sky Q box audio output be set to DD as the norm? I am getting sound through DD. However the engineer left it set on normal. My Sky soundbox did not have the superb sound everyone is talking about! Is this why?

Answer

Best Answers
Answer
Oracle
Post 2 of 7

The reason they set it to NORMAL is because DOLBY D does not always work it some situations were NORMAL will work with all set ups

Annie Oracle since 2012 Customer since 1989 Beta Tester (Sky,Apple,Microsoft) I do not work for sky! FAQ for Sky+ Community Blog
All Replies
Answer
Oracle
Post 2 of 7

The reason they set it to NORMAL is because DOLBY D does not always work it some situations were NORMAL will work with all set ups

Annie Oracle since 2012 Customer since 1989 Beta Tester (Sky,Apple,Microsoft) I do not work for sky! FAQ for Sky+ Community Blog
Sound Designer
Post 3 of 7

Hi Annie

i have a Sky Soundbox. So set Q to DD?

Oracle
Post 4 of 7

Yes, you can always change back if needed

Oracle
Post 5 of 7

@Brent+Martin

I think it's fair to say not everyone is talking about superb sound: some posters to the Soundbox forum are distinctly underwhelmed, while others are very happy. Different reactions may partly be to do with expectation level, and partly because room layout and box placement seem to significantly affect the ability of the Soundbox to perform.

Sky Q from April 2016 (Silver & 1 Mini, both over ethernet) Multiscreen, Cinema, Sports, Box Sets, Yamaha RX-V375, BT Home Hub 6 (ethernet), BT ADSL (17Mbs), Lenovo Tab 2 A7 (Android 4.4 KitKat), Wileyfox Swift (Android 7.1.2 Nougat), LG 49UJ701V, Toshiba 32L6353, Samsung UE22F5400
Oracle
Post 6 of 7

@Brent+Martin wrote:

Should my Sky Q box audio output be set to DD as the norm? I am getting sound through DD. However the engineer left it set on normal. My Sky soundbox did not have the superb sound everyone is talking about! Is this why?

Hi @Brent+Martin

Dolby Digital should be far superior in most cases.

New Viewer
Post 7 of 7

I have the soundbox 2 i have set my q box to dd at first i was not happy with soundbox i thought it was somewhat underpowered but the more i use it the more it seems to please me as i find it has a very nice rich sound some channels sound better than others aswell

Recommended Threads
Oracle 01-05-2018 08:25 PM
Oracle 09-02-2018 06:54 PM
Oracle 25-04-2018 12:19 AM
Oracle 4 weeks ago 05:01 PM
Oracle 01-01-2018 09:58 AM