Possible problem with skyQ box or with UHD movies

Executive Producer
Post 211 of 366

Re: Possible problem with skyQ box or with UHD movies

You could try the noise reduction option as outlined in previous posts, but I would say your best course of action would be to contact Sky to arrange an engineer visit. If nothing else, the more visits their engineers have to do, and the more boxes they have to swap out, the more seriously they will take the issue and the harder they will work to find a resolution Smiley Wink

Researcher
Post 212 of 366

I thought it was just me! 

I also saw this (in a dark scene in Patrick Melrose in UHD via Sky Q) and my TV is a Sony KD65-XE8596 and not an LG. It's only happened since the most recent firmware update.

It looks like 4 blocks of render noise - almost like the TV is split into 4 Quarters and each quarter is rendering incorrectly and independently - You can see it very clearly on the Billions freezeframe video.

Is this a HDR issue? 

Sound Supervisor
Post 213 of 366

@Pacco65 wrote:

You could try the noise reduction option as outlined in previous posts, but I would say your best course of action would be to contact Sky to arrange an engineer visit. If nothing else, the more visits their engineers have to do, and the more boxes they have to swap out, the more seriously they will take the issue and the harder they will work to find a resolution Smiley Wink

I can’t disagree with you.

The noise reduction option is partially successful for me, and makes UHD acceptable as a stopgap measure.

If there is no sign of a proper solution soon, and by soon I mean within a few days, I will be asking for a box swap.

Managing Editor
Post 214 of 366

Seeing as my tv the LG UK6300 is on this list and I've not had any flicker issues whilst watching F1, Tennis, Billions, with the V2 running the latest update. Don't like killer clowns so haven't tried IT.

https://www.rtings.com/tv/tests/motion/image-flicker 

Oracle
Post 215 of 366

@best+of+the+best If you do ever get a v2box LG can supply firmware that avoids the periodic blanking issue. If you read further in the thread I linked to you will see several LG owners confirming that.

==========================

Oracles are customers and people too.
Camera Assistant
Post 216 of 366

@best+of+the+best wrote:

Seeing as my tv the LG UK6300 is on this list and I've not had any flicker issues whilst watching F1, Tennis, Billions, with the V2 running the latest update. Don't like killer clowns so haven't tried IT.

Please post a new URL. The one posted gives a 404 error. Thanks.

Camera Assistant
Post 217 of 366

Does the LG 55UH850v have a issue with the black screen with a v2 box? I don’t know if I have the flickering, but I will find out tomorrow. But if I do and I want a box swap, I need to make sure the LG UH850v series works. 

Oracle
Post 218 of 366

@JonW42 All LG models "work" with v2 boxes but some need a firmware update to do so, this is the list of models that need the firmware update cannot see your model on that list. 

Researcher
Post 219 of 366

Yet to test to see if I can see the flickering but the E6 doesn’t appear to be on that list so a box swap could be an option.

Bit of a pain though, don’t Sky test firmware?

LG OLED65E6
Sky Q 2Tb
Managing Editor
Post 220 of 366

@JonW42 wrote:

@best+of+the+best wrote:

Please post a new URL. The one posted gives a 404 error. Thanks.

Sorry @JonW42 I should have checked the url before posting 

www.rtings.com Scroll down click on televisions next page click on tests then scroll down to Motion click on image flicker.

Apologies for editing and re-editing my post.

Oracle
Post 221 of 366

@Caz360 wrote:

Yet to test to see if I can see the flickering but the E6 doesn’t appear to be on that list so a box swap could be an option.

Bit of a pain though, don’t Sky test firmware?

Of course Sky test firmware before release intially within the development facility then with groups of test users, then on a wider beta test with staff - they employ 30,000 people - then they released to around 200K customers. It was only 3 weeks later on the role out to the remaining 2 million customers that this issue arose.

Anyone who deals with software development will be aware that on occassions issues do happen despite the most thorough testing - ask Microsoft or Apple.

Researcher
Post 222 of 366

The noise reduction option does stop the flickering. However, I have always been led to believe that this affects picture quality.

Runner
Post 223 of 366

Changing any “noise reduction” etc options on my TV makes no difference at all. The flicker/pulsating is there no matter what I do.

Sound Supervisor
Post 224 of 366

@carlhouse wrote:

The noise reduction option does stop the flickering. However, I have always been led to believe that this affects picture quality.

Noise reduction will scrub out fine details in the picture, so does affect picture quality. Whether you can notice the missing detail and prefer the flicker only you can answer.

Sadly for @DeeKay86 it seems it doesn’t work for every TV anyway.

Whether it works or not is neither here nor there really, the issue needs resolving......rapidly!

Sound Supervisor
Post 225 of 366

@Kei+M or anyone at Sky.

Is there any more information about this please?

Despite my partially effective noise reduction fudge, Billions last night was a fairly unpleasant experience and certainly not what I expect from UHD. 

Has the problem been identified? What is the timescale for a fix? Do I need to arrange a swap to a V2 box?

I do realise it’s only been a week since the problem was first noticed, but it’s a flagship service that I’m unable to enjoy at the moment.