Reply

Possible problem with skyQ box or with UHD movies

Reply
Sound Designer
Posts: 193
Post 136 of 481
616 Views

Re: Possible problem with skyQ box or with UHD movies

It shouldn’t mater how much content there is, they make a big thing about things in UHD and the flicker to me makes it unwatchable 

Boom Operator
Posts: 34
Post 137 of 481
597 Views

Re: Possible problem with skyQ box or with UHD movies

@Kei+M  I have an engineer coming tomorrow afternoon, is there anything I can pass onto the engineer that would be useful?  I know they should have all the knowledge needed but would it be worth mentioning anything?  Changing my box for another V1 box, V2 box etc.?  Get the engineer to make contact with any of you there after the visit?

Sound Designer
Posts: 193
Post 138 of 481
585 Views

Re: Possible problem with skyQ box or with UHD movies

I have an engineer coming on Friday, I’m going to show him the flicker and then get him to put in a V2 box but if the flicker is there on the V2 box I will get him to change it back 

Sound Supervisor
Posts: 79
Post 139 of 481
529 Views

Re: Possible problem with skyQ box or with UHD movies

Just been informed that my Sky Engineer is scheduled for the 7th July, so I've got to wait nearly a month to potentially get this sorted out! This is far from an important issue in the scheme of things, but does anyone know whether it's normal to wait this length of time for a call-out, seems outragous to me? 

Executive Producer
Posts: 6,249
Post 140 of 481
502 Views

Re: Possible problem with skyQ box or with UHD movies


@keithwhitcomb wrote:

Just been informed that my Sky Engineer is scheduled for the 7th July, so I've got to wait nearly a month to potentially get this sorted out! This is far from an important issue in the scheme of things, but does anyone know whether it's normal to wait this length of time for a call-out, seems outragous to me? 


Seems a very long time to wait, but I guess ultimately it depends on the availability of engineers in your area. I think I'd be pestering them every couple of days to see if any earlier appointments have become available to be honest.

Oracle
Posts: 7,566
Post 141 of 481
439 Views

Re: Possible problem with skyQ box or with UHD movies


@bob1234 wrote:

Hopefully by the time there is much UHD content it will be cured, at the moment there is just not enough content for me to worry about it.


There's actually a lot of UHD content now when you add up all of the movies and boxsets and live sport as well. 

My Opinions Are My Own And Do Not Reflect Those Of Sky.
Producer
Posts: 3,564
Post 142 of 481
399 Views

Re: Possible problem with skyQ box or with UHD movies


@Dazzasky wrote:

@bob1234 wrote:

Hopefully by the time there is much UHD content it will be cured, at the moment there is just not enough content for me to worry about it.


There's actually a lot of UHD content now when you add up all of the movies and boxsets and live sport as well. 


I will be more interested when there are more live broadcasts and not sport.

Researcher
Posts: 14
Post 143 of 481
380 Views

Re: Possible problem with skyQ box or with UHD movies

I am so so so so SO happy to have found this thread!

 

A user on AVForum linked it to me when I posted about an issue I have having with SkyQ UHD downloads!

 

I recently bought a new 65inch Samsung Q7F (2017) - and this has been driving me insane!

 

I have tried various HDMI cables, various HDMI ports, tonnes of TV settings etc - no matter what I do, the screen has a weird pulsing/flicker in dark scenes of downloaded 4K UHD Movies or shows!

 

Honestly thought I was losing the plot - but the videos someone posted on here is EXACTLY the issue I have! The screen pulses and flickers and is hugely noticeable in dark scenes. Even if you pause the movie, it continues to flicker/pulse!

 

I guess I have a V1 SkyQ box - as my Q box does not have an external power supply? I have also noticed that my box is boiling hot a lot of the time! Its quite worrying.

 

I see some of you have had engineers booked to visit - any updates so far? I wonder if Sky would swap my V1 box for a V2. Will be sad to lose all of my recordings but right now I just want this sorted so I can enjoy my TV! One of the main selling points for us getting SkyQ was the option of UHD content, and we're really not impressed so far as this issue is kind of ruining the experience of our new TV.

 

Any help is appreciated. 

 

My TV model is: QE65Q7FAMTXXU - just in case anybody needs to know.

Oracle
Posts: 7,566
Post 144 of 481
358 Views

Re: Possible problem with skyQ box or with UHD movies


@DeeKay86 wrote:

I am so so so so SO happy to have found this thread!

 

A user on AVForum linked it to me when I posted about an issue I have having with SkyQ UHD downloads!

 

I recently bought a new 65inch Samsung Q7F (2017) - and this has been driving me insane!

 

I have tried various HDMI cables, various HDMI ports, tonnes of TV settings etc - no matter what I do, the screen has a weird pulsing/flicker in dark scenes of downloaded 4K UHD Movies or shows!

 

Honestly thought I was losing the plot - but the videos someone posted on here is EXACTLY the issue I have! The screen pulses and flickers and is hugely noticeable in dark scenes. Even if you pause the movie, it continues to flicker/pulse!

 

I guess I have a V1 SkyQ box - as my Q box does not have an external power supply? I have also noticed that my box is boiling hot a lot of the time! Its quite worrying.

 

I see some of you have had engineers booked to visit - any updates so far? I wonder if Sky would swap my V1 box for a V2. Will be sad to lose all of my recordings but right now I just want this sorted so I can enjoy my TV! One of the main selling points for us getting SkyQ was the option of UHD content, and we're really not impressed so far as this issue is kind of ruining the experience of our new TV.

 

Any help is appreciated. 

 

My TV model is: QE65Q7FAMTXXU - just in case anybody needs to know.


Hi @DeeKay86 If you are finding that your box is boiling hot then you need to contact sky and book an engineer to attend. https://contactus.sky.com/uk

My Opinions Are My Own And Do Not Reflect Those Of Sky.
Production Supervisor
Posts: 1,140
Post 145 of 481
350 Views

Re: Possible problem with skyQ box or with UHD movies


@Dazzasky wrote:

@DeeKay86 wrote:

I am so so so so SO happy to have found this thread!

 

A user on AVForum linked it to me when I posted about an issue I have having with SkyQ UHD downloads!

 

I recently bought a new 65inch Samsung Q7F (2017) - and this has been driving me insane!

 

I have tried various HDMI cables, various HDMI ports, tonnes of TV settings etc - no matter what I do, the screen has a weird pulsing/flicker in dark scenes of downloaded 4K UHD Movies or shows!

 

Honestly thought I was losing the plot - but the videos someone posted on here is EXACTLY the issue I have! The screen pulses and flickers and is hugely noticeable in dark scenes. Even if you pause the movie, it continues to flicker/pulse!

 

I guess I have a V1 SkyQ box - as my Q box does not have an external power supply? I have also noticed that my box is boiling hot a lot of the time! Its quite worrying.

 

I see some of you have had engineers booked to visit - any updates so far? I wonder if Sky would swap my V1 box for a V2. Will be sad to lose all of my recordings but right now I just want this sorted so I can enjoy my TV! One of the main selling points for us getting SkyQ was the option of UHD content, and we're really not impressed so far as this issue is kind of ruining the experience of our new TV.

 

Any help is appreciated. 

 

My TV model is: QE65Q7FAMTXXU - just in case anybody needs to know.


Hi @DeeKay86 If you are finding that your box is boiling hot then you need to contact sky and book an engineer to attend. https://contactus.sky.com/uk


@DeeKay86 As @Dazzasky suggests because my v1 box is warm, possibly quite warm but certainly not ‘hot’ and definitely not ‘boiling hot’ I would follow his advice and contact Sky to arrange for an engineer to visit.

Researcher
Posts: 14
Post 146 of 481
333 Views

Re: Possible problem with skyQ box or with UHD movies

I just went and felt up my Sky Q box (haha) - it is very hot on the top left. The 'boiling hot' bit was the HDMI cable when I took it out of the box (when I was testing with various other cables to try to diagnose the fault).

 

Contacted Sky - they are experiencing very high volumes right now so will get back to me apparently...!!

First Assistant Director
Posts: 2,117
Post 147 of 481
326 Views

Re: Possible problem with skyQ box or with UHD movies


@DeeKay86 wrote:

I just went and felt up my Sky Q box (haha) - it is very hot on the top left. The 'boiling hot' bit was the HDMI cable when I took it out of the box (when I was testing with various other cables to try to diagnose the fault).

 

Contacted Sky - they are experiencing very high volumes right now so will get back to me apparently...!!


The box does get hot there, it’s normal but should not be too hot that you can’t leave your hand on there 

BT Ultra Infinity. Apple Time Capsule. Sky Q 2TB watching UHD through a LG OLED55B7 and listening through a soundbox. Multiroom with 2 miniboxes
Production Supervisor
Posts: 1,140
Post 148 of 481
318 Views

Re: Possible problem with skyQ box or with UHD movies


@DeeKay86 wrote:

I just went and felt up my Sky Q box (haha) - it is very hot on the top left. The 'boiling hot' bit was the HDMI cable when I took it out of the box (when I was testing with various other cables to try to diagnose the fault).

 

Contacted Sky - they are experiencing very high volumes right now so will get back to me apparently...!!


Just went and did the same.  Box warm, farly warm but not mega hot and HDMI cable as cool as a cool thing.

Researcher
Posts: 6
Post 149 of 481
315 Views

Re: Possible problem with skyQ box or with UHD movies

https://youtu.be/7XDkeM9vIN8

 

Paused screen at the beginning of Annabelle. Taken at an angle so it shows up on the camera phone footage. You can see a cross in the middle of the screen and flickering in the 4 quarters. (The TV is better than the video suggests)

Oracle
Posts: 7,566
Post 150 of 481
275 Views

Re: Possible problem with skyQ box or with UHD movies


@H0ppy82 wrote:

https://youtu.be/7XDkeM9vIN8

 

Paused screen at the beginning of Annabelle. Taken at an angle so it shows up on the camera phone footage. You can see a cross in the middle of the screen and flickering in the 4 quarters. (The TV is better than the video suggests)


Out of interest, do you have your TVs eco settings on or off?

My Opinions Are My Own And Do Not Reflect Those Of Sky.
Reply