Possible problem with skyQ box or with UHD movies

Sound Designer
Post 1 of 367

Possible problem with skyQ box or with UHD movies

I think my skyQ box is on its way out or there is something wrong skys UHD movie downloads, I have just been watching IT in uhd and the picture is flickering like crazy it almost looks like BFI is switched on(easier to see in dark scenes when Georgie is talking to IT in the drain or right at the end) so I have checked other sky UHD movies and they all seem to flicker quite badly. I have checked IT on the UHD Blu-ray I have and it doesn’t flicker nor does it do it when in watching in HD also there is no flicker in any other Blu-ray or Netflix or amazon. I haven’t seen any flicker in the F1 UHD but it’s very bright. Has anyone else noticed any flicker on the UHD movies also My skyQ box does get very hot.

All Replies
Oracle
Post 2 of 367

Re: Possible problem with skyQ box or with UHD movies

Have you tried the usual Q  box restart?

Sound Designer
Post 3 of 367

Yep tried that and no difference, it was one of the first things I tried 

Oracle
Post 4 of 367

@woppy1

Is this a download, or one of the rare UHD satellite transmitted films? The compression on transmissions sometimes causes visual artifacts.

Sky Q from April 2016 (Silver & 1 Mini, both over ethernet) Multiscreen, Cinema, Sports, Box Sets, Yamaha RX-V375, BT Home Hub 6 (ethernet), BT ADSL (17Mbs), Lenovo Tab 2 A7 (Android 4.4 KitKat), Wileyfox Swift (Android 7.1.2 Nougat), LG 49UJ701V, Toshiba 32L6353, Samsung UE22F5400
Sound Designer
Post 5 of 367

It’s the sky UHD download 

Oracle
Post 6 of 367

Hi @woppy1 check the tv's picture settings whilst connected to the Q box as on most tvs each input has its own memory to eliminate that as a possibility. It is possible your Q box has developed a video output problem but that is relatively unlikely - they normally work or fail completely. 

==========================

Oracles are customers and people too.
Sound Designer
Post 7 of 367

It’s a LG65C8 OLED mate which has been calibrated and set up correctly, also if it was the way the tv was set up it would be also doing it on the UHD Blu-ray version I have 

Sound Designer
Post 8 of 367

I have got replies on AVforums that the same is also happening on the 4K downloads of a few other C8 owners so it has to do with the sky 4K downloads or the way the C8 speaks to the skyQ box because if it was a problem with the C8 it would be doing it on all sources 

Oracle
Post 9 of 367

@woppy1 wrote:

It’s a LG65C8 OLED mate which has been calibrated and set up correctly, also if it was the way the tv was set up it would be also doing it on the UHD Blu-ray version I have 

Not if the settings for the Q box is screwed but the UHD Blu-ray's input  isn't as that is what individual setting memories do - worth 30 seconds check as Firmware updates can change things you thought were set.

Also worth trying a different HDMI input to eliminate that as a possible issue. Simple fault finding eliminate variables to zero in to the cause which could be the Q box but it is a very unusual fault as I said mostly its a 100% failure

==========================

Oracles are customers and people too.
Sound Designer
Post 10 of 367

Changed inputs, and I’m on the latest firmware. As I have said I paid to have my TV calibrated so I know it’s correctly set up. I have changed my hdmi cables and even put my sky box straight to my tv bypassing the receiver and it still has the flickering on UHD only.  

Camera Operator
Post 11 of 367

@woppy1 wrote:

Changed inputs, and I’m on the latest firmware. As I have said I paid to have my TV calibrated so I know it’s correctly set up. I have changed my hdmi cables and even put my sky box straight to my tv bypassing the receiver and it still has the flickering on UHD only.  

Hi @woppy1

Downloaded IT to have a look see. Definite flicker in the dark scenes, never noticed it before on any previous downloads. No flicker on UHD blu rays, nor on Apple 4k TV. 🤔

Regards,

Oracle
Post 12 of 367

Entirely possible it's down to the way Sky have prepared it for download, I guess. Unfortunately, I'm far too scared of killer clowns to check it out myself....

Sky Q from April 2016 (Silver & 1 Mini, both over ethernet) Multiscreen, Cinema, Sports, Box Sets, Yamaha RX-V375, BT Home Hub 6 (ethernet), BT ADSL (17Mbs), Lenovo Tab 2 A7 (Android 4.4 KitKat), Wileyfox Swift (Android 7.1.2 Nougat), LG 49UJ701V, Toshiba 32L6353, Samsung UE22F5400
Sound Designer
Post 13 of 367

It must be something to with the Sky UHD download, I will give sky a ring tomorrow, I’m glad I’m not the only one to see it 

Camera Assistant
Post 14 of 367

@woppy1 wrote:

It must be something to with the Sky UHD download, I will give sky a ring tomorrow, I’m glad I’m not the only one to see it 

I'm currently on vacation so I cannot check out IT. But it is a movie I want to watch so I'll do so when I get home. Give me a time in the movie where you see the flickering.

Also, try downloading an HD version and see if you get the flickering.

Sound Designer
Post 15 of 367

Well this is strange, I have just gone through all the uhd recordings I have recorded and on only one is there not any flicker which was Annabelle creation, all the others have flicker, the blacklist, war for the planet of the apes, transformers, 2012, IT, alien covenant and Wonder Woman. I think a call to Sky is definitely in order tomorrow.