Possible problem with skyQ box or with UHD movies

Oracle
Post 196 of 341

Re: Possible problem with skyQ box or with UHD movies

Hi @gammiss It would also be useful for Sky If you could take a video whilst the programme Is playing as well. 

My Opinions Are My Own And Do Not Reflect Those Of Sky.
Researcher
Post 197 of 341

Thanks and yes worse in real time.

I have taken a video of IT paused @ 6 mins

Researcher
Post 198 of 341

As requested, 20 second clip of Billions episode.

Oracle
Post 199 of 341

@gammiss wrote:

As requested, 20 second clip of Billions episode.

Thanks, it does look quite bad. 

Sound Supervisor
Post 200 of 341

I’ve discovered something  which may or may not help.

Watching the Terror on AMC it occurred to me that the typical noise in the picture was similar to what we are experiencing with UHD

MPEG noise reduction does nothing, but the one labelled just as noise reduction on the LG C7  toggled to high significantly reduces the flicker during IT. It’s not a solution by any means because of the probable loss of fine detail, but unless my eyes are deceiving me it’s possibly a temporary mitigation measure.

if someone could double check my findings it would be good, just in case I’m imagining it.

Camera Assistant
Post 201 of 341

@Morgan+McDonnell wrote:

@keithwhitcomb wrote:

@thumbs83 wrote:

Just had Sky engineer replace my V1 box with a V2 box and had the latest firmware installed (Q071) and the picture is now fine.  No flickering/pulsing with UHD content.

The other thing I noticed too whilst watching the cricket is that with the V1 box the on screen graphics bar (with the score) would flutter occasionally and now it looks solid with no break up..  I also think the picture has less noise in it for both HD and UHD.

I am using the Sky Q box with an LG E6 oled.

Looks like you might have cracked it! V1's to be replaced by V2's!!

@keithwhitcomb  On the face of it you could be right however that might not be the definitive fix ...........yet.   For example did the engineers replace the leads from the new box first and test with the old V1 box?  Or did they simply change the whole set up?  What I'm suggesting is that it might be the HDMI leads breaking up given that some have been reporting their leads seem to get overly hot.  Some have reported the V1 box running extremely hot so could that be a cause of an internal break down over time.  So perhaps changing to a V1 box that doesn't run hot might be the fix.  I have a V1 box that doesn't run too hot and, so far, I'm not experiencing problems.  I guess what I'm suggesting is that although changing the box seems to work it might not actually be necessary and premature excitement could be misplaced baring in mind I believe V2 boxes are experiencing some different issues are they not?  But whatever the long term fix is I hope Sky get to the bottom of it asap because UHD is the flagship promotion.

If it really is a firmware issue, just give us Q070 back until Sky can fix Q071. I know for sure I did not have any UHD issues with Q070. It seems the people with the problems with UHD didn't have these problems with Q070. The fixes in Q071 are not really that important comparted to working UHD,

Camera Assistant
Post 202 of 341

@keithwhitcomb wrote:

@Morgan+McDonnell wrote:

@keithwhitcomb wrote:

@thumbs83 wrote:

Just had Sky engineer replace my V1 box with a V2 box and had the latest firmware installed (Q071) and the picture is now fine.  No flickering/pulsing with UHD content.

The other thing I noticed too whilst watching the cricket is that with the V1 box the on screen graphics bar (with the score) would flutter occasionally and now it looks solid with no break up..  I also think the picture has less noise in it for both HD and UHD.

I am using the Sky Q box with an LG E6 oled.

Looks like you might have cracked it! V1's to be replaced by V2's!!

@keithwhitcomb  On the face of it you could be right however that might not be the definitive fix ...........yet.   For example did the engineers replace the leads from the new box first and test with the old V1 box?  Or did they simply change the whole set up?  What I'm suggesting is that it might be the HDMI leads breaking up given that some have been reporting their leads seem to get overly hot.  Some have reported the V1 box running extremely hot so could that be a cause of an internal break down over time.  So perhaps changing to a V1 box that doesn't run hot might be the fix.  I have a V1 box that doesn't run too hot and, so far, I'm not experiencing problems.  I guess what I'm suggesting is that although changing the box seems to work it might not actually be necessary and premature excitement could be misplaced baring in mind I believe V2 boxes are experiencing some different issues are they not?  But whatever the long term fix is I hope Sky get to the bottom of it asap because UHD is the flagship promotion.

Well, it's a good indicator, as those reporting the problem seem to have a V1 box not a V2, and swapping a V1 box for a V2 has resolved the problem in this instance, so on the balance of probabilities a V2 swapped with a V1 for those with this flickering picture is the likely solution imo! 

And if you have a TV that has the issue with the V2 biox where is blanks the screen, you won't be happy with that either. So to be honest, it could be a lose-lose situation for some. The thing to do is see if you have a known TV that has an issue with the V2 box and if there is a firmware fix, get that and then get your V1 swpped for a V2. But before you do this, don't forget to watch all the recordings that you cannot download from box set/on demand/catch up or you'll lose them maybe forever.

Camera Operator
Post 203 of 341

@Andym15 wrote:

I’ve discovered something  which may or may not help.

Watching the Terror on AMC it occurred to me that the typical noise in the picture was similar to what we are experiencing with UHD

MPEG noise reduction does nothing, but the one labelled just as noise reduction on the LG C7  toggled to high significantly reduces the flicker during IT. It’s not a solution by any means because of the probable loss of fine detail, but unless my eyes are deceiving me it’s possibly a temporary mitigation measure.

if someone could double check my findings it would be good, just in case I’m imagining it.

Hi @Andym15

I have the E6 and have the same “Noise Reduction” setting and I believe you are right sir😱 I always switch these type of settings off as a lot of users do but even on the low setting the flicker has gone..unless I too am imagining it😂 Thanks for that and the detail is still quite good👍 

This shouldn’t stop more investigation of course by Sky as it is a workaround like the switch to a V2 box being suggested but at least I have the means now😉

Regards,

PS @Kei+M perhaps Sky could talk to LG to understand what this setting actually does; it might give them a clue as to how to proceed in further testing🤔

Camera Assistant
Post 204 of 341

If I could get a V2 box from Sky and still keep the V1 box until I was sure the V2 box worked properly with my TV, I'd be happy to switch boxes. I just have a lot of stuff on the V1 box that needs to be watched because I've been too long on vacation.

Highlighted
Sound Supervisor
Post 205 of 341

Thanks for checking @bucket57

I don’t think the flicker is gone, but it’s much, much less noticeable.

I’ve checked some more recordings since I posted and the loss of detail is well worth it for me. It’s hard to notice in truth. The flicker was driving me mad, so even an imperfect cure is a blessing.

If it gives the Sky techs another clue to look at, so much the better. 

Runner
Post 206 of 341

Hi. I have the exact same problem. Have tried multiple leads in different ports. The flicker makes UHD content almost unwatchable. Have reported it. Sky seemed puzzled but I have an engineer coming next week. Fingers crossed. 

Researcher
Post 207 of 341

I too have the problem with flickering. Watching the cricket in UHD yesterday, it was really noticeable but not in HD. Thought I would look on the forums to see if other people had the issue. I have an LG C7 OLED. All picture settings (noise reduction etc) are turned off. I have a V1 2TB box.

Oracle
Post 208 of 341

@carlhouse wrote:

I too have the problem with flickering. Watching the cricket in UHD yesterday, it was really noticeable but not in HD. Thought I would look on the forums to see if other people had the issue. I have an LG C7 OLED. All picture settings (noise reduction etc) are turned off. I have a V1 2TB box.

Hi @carlhouse Try watching something in UHD with the noise reduction switched on to see if that stops the flickering. 

Sound Designer
Post 209 of 341

@Dazzasky wrote:

@carlhouse wrote:

Hi @carlhouse Try watching something in UHD with the noise reduction switched on to see if that stops the flickering. 

Introducing "noise control" on tv's invariable adversly affects picture detail, therefore defeats the object of UHD! Best just to watch in HD until the V1's are swapped out for V2's imho!

Oracle
Post 210 of 341

@keithwhitcomb wrote:

@Dazzasky wrote:

@carlhouse wrote:

Introducing "noise control" on tv's invariable adversly affects picture detail, therefore defeats the object of UHD! Best just to watch in HD until the V1's are swapped out for V2's imho!

Hi @keithwhitcomb That is correct however the reason I asked to op to do that was because someone else had reported that it helped reduce the flickering so I was trying to ascertain whether it had the same effect on their tv. When trying to find the root cause of a problem, testing is required so the fault can be fixed. 

Recommended Threads
Oracle 01-05-2018 08:25 PM
Oracle 09-02-2018 06:54 PM
Oracle 25-04-2018 12:19 AM
Oracle 4 weeks ago 05:01 PM
Oracle 01-01-2018 09:58 AM