Pbs America signal interference on latest sky box

Runner
Post 1 of 23

Pbs America signal interference on latest sky box

Is anyone else having problems with pbs America on Q box . All other channels are ok.

suffer from picture break up. 

All Replies
Production Supervisor
Post 2 of 23

Re: Pbs America signal interference on latest sky box

@mapleleafswrote:

Is anyone else having problems with pbs America on Q box . All other channels are ok.

suffer from picture break up. 

Hi @mapleleafs. I watch PBS America a lot and can confirm their programme transmissions have always been suspect. Picture breakup is frequent and often skips in picture and sound. This is the transmitted signal so nothing to do with your local box etc. I have learnt to put up with it as I cannot be bothered to complain to PBS America as I am sure they are responsible for their own feed. Nothing to do with Sky Q. 

Sky Q Silver Bundle with 1 Mini (Ethernet) Q071.000.29.00L. BT Superfast Fibre 2. Sony XE93 2160p 10 bit and X83C 1080p. iPad Pro 12.9 (2017). Harmony Elite.
Director of Photography
Post 3 of 23

If “Gems TV” does not break up then as said above problem will be at source

Runner
Post 4 of 23

Having PBS America jittery while watching on a Sky +HD

Oracle
Post 5 of 23

PBS seem to use a poorer bitrate than even the relatively poor UK-based SD services: something more akin to the budget 'Music' channels.  However, as a not-for-profit operation relying on donations to keep going, it's frankly amazing they can afford any satellite bandwidth at all...

Sky Q from April 2016 (Silver & 1 Mini, both over ethernet) Multiscreen, Cinema, Sports, Box Sets, Yamaha RX-V375, BT Home Hub 6 (ethernet), BT ADSL (17Mbs), Lenovo Tab 2 A7 (Android 4.4 KitKat), Wileyfox Swift (Android 7.1.2 Nougat), LG 49UJ701V, Toshiba 32L6353, Samsung UE22F5400
Researcher
Post 6 of 23

I do not have SkyQ at present, but have found, more of late, that PBS America is constantly flickering. The high pitched pings are becoming so loud it's ear piercing. Not to mention the poor quality of vision and yet they have linked with Amazon, who charge £3.98 per month subscription to watch PBS America without adverts!!

I shall be pushing Sky to contact them about their poor signal. In this day and age of technology, we should not have to put up with this on Sky.

I have not experienced this poor quality signal on other channels that I watch. 

Director of Photography
Post 7 of 23

@poeticmac955 wrote:

I do not have SkyQ at present, but have found, more of late, that PBS America is constantly flickering. The high pitched pings are becoming so loud it's ear piercing. Not to mention the poor quality of vision and yet they have linked with Amazon, who charge £3.98 per month subscription to watch PBS America without adverts!!

I shall be pushing Sky to contact them about their poor signal. In this day and age of technology, we should not have to put up with this on Sky.

If a third party channel has poor production / technical standards there is not much Sky can do or say to them

Camera Assistant
Post 8 of 23

@poeticmac955 wrote:

Is Amazon streaming PBS America in HD or is it the poor quality SD that Sky broadcasts?
Oracle
Post 9 of 23

@poeticmac955

Unfortunately, any channel can choose not to buy enough bandwidth from Sky to transmit a reasonable quality image, and inflict the result on their viewers.  You need to contact PBS, not Sky.

Sky Q from April 2016 (Silver & 1 Mini, both over ethernet) Multiscreen, Cinema, Sports, Box Sets, Yamaha RX-V375, BT Home Hub 6 (ethernet), BT ADSL (17Mbs), Lenovo Tab 2 A7 (Android 4.4 KitKat), Wileyfox Swift (Android 7.1.2 Nougat), LG 49UJ701V, Toshiba 32L6353, Samsung UE22F5400
Director of Photography
Post 10 of 23

@TimmyBGood wrote:

@poeticmac955

Unfortunately, any channel can choose not to buy enough bandwidth from Sky to transmit a reasonable quality image, and inflict the result on their viewers.  You need to contact PBS, not Sky.

Although Sky have their own satellite transponders where third party channels can have space there are many transponders which have nothing to do with Sky

Researcher
Post 11 of 23

I have contacted PBS America about their poor quality signal in comparison to other Sky Channels. As yet they have not acknowledged my email! I shall wait and see if they care to answer, if not, I shall bombard them with complaints and also use Twitter!

Producer
Post 12 of 23

I watched it for the first time last night, there was no interference but an only just watchable picture, the solution is to buy a smaller TV, I then looked at it on the 22" TV in the bedroom and it was fine.

Researcher
Post 13 of 23

Excuse me Bob! Watching PBS America on a smaller screen does not in any way mean that the signal improves!!

Let us get to the "nitty gritty" here!! Their transmission signal is crap....

An American company like them, who make many millions producing and selling their shows all over the world should seriously be looking into their poor signal quality. I have watched and recorded many hours of their channel as I love documentaries. At one time I really thought that my television was at fault, but the same interference was seen on all my 3 televisions, one is a small 22 inch screen in my spare room.

But as all the other Sky Channels were excellent in their quality, with the odd glitch during severe thunderstorms, I knew it must be PBS America signal being of poor quality.

I have talked to Sky, but have complained to PBS, who say they are looking into this problem.

I actually don't hold out much hope, shall continue to barrage them with complaints.

Have also contacted Amazon Prime, asking about the quality of PBS America's signal on their Prime Channels.

Darn it!! We should not have to suffer this type of quality signal in areas where there is excellent Satalite communications!

Director of Photography
Post 14 of 23

To be honest you are wasting your time. PBS would have to invest in higher quality satellite bandwidth space, etc and for the number of people who view their output on the Astra satellite it would not justify the outlay.

As mentioned above this has nothing to do with Sky. Any broadcaster can transmit on Astra satellites without involving Sky. They only involve Sky if they want a channel number on the EPG and/or encryption services.

Oracle
Post 15 of 23

@poeticmac955

You might want to research the history, mission, and unique operating model of PBS to understand why they are under huge pressure to economise on everything, including transmission cost, particularly given the current inhabitant of the White House and his attitude to anything that looks like Federal funding of liberal education...

Recommended Threads