Discussion topic: HDR v3 box not fit for purpose (sound cutting out)

This message was authored by Gridders This message was authored by: Gridders

HDR v3 box not fit for purpose (sound cutting out)

All

I'm starting this thread as Sky have just closed down a 145 page thread about constant sound issues, mini box connectivity issues and network problems all caused directly by the introduction of the HDR sky box into mine and hundreds of other people's systems. 

Please comment on all your problems here. Sky don't seem to be able to identify what is wrong and it's clearly a faulty box which needs recalling.

This discussion has been locked

Sorry, you can't reply to this discussion as it's been locked by our Community Managers.

All Replies

This message was authored by fizzdisco This message was authored by: fizzdisco

Re: HDR v3 box not fit for purpose (sound cutting out)

Nice one @Gridders - I totally agree. The situation is just getting ridiculous now.

I was intrigued by the Sky employee who shut the other thread down saying that: "we've deployed a logging software build to a group of people experiencing this and we're working alongside them to investigate their issues". I'd love to know who these people are and how long they've been investigating the issue... 

This message was authored by Nero1956 This message was authored by: Nero1956

Well done for starting this thread up.

I found Sky's response astounding. It gave minimal information to us and it implied that the reason for closing the previous thread was that the contributors had different issues. Well that is bound to happen when Sky allow the thread to grow so huge and make no contribution or add value themselves.

From reading previous contributions in the other thread I had hoped we would shortly be getting a software update to resolve this, but now I doubt it. I'm left disappointed not encouraged by the Sky employee's remarks.

This message was authored by simon194 This message was authored by: simon194

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@Gridders wrote:

All

I'm starting this thread as Sky have just closed down a 145 page thread about constant sound issues, mini box connectivity issues and network problems all caused directly by the introduction of the HDR sky box into mine and hundreds of other people's systems. 

Please comment on all your problems here. Sky don't seem to be able to identify what is wrong and it's clearly a faulty box which needs recalling.

The audio dropouts aren't confined to the V3 box but also the V2 box probabaly because both boxes use the same SoC. The audio dropouts reappeared with either the Q120 or Q130 update, I can't remember which release it was.

Not happy that Kei decided that the other thread should be silenced.

So thanks Gridders for opening this up and continuing what is the only source of useful information on the problem of the new sky Q box intermittently dropping sound.

I get 1 second sound drops on both live broadcasts and playback of recordings and also Netflix app (don't use any other apps) frequency varies ... sometimes every 10 mins sometimes every half hour... but they are there every time I use the box.

This message was authored by Grumpy+Kermit This message was authored by: Grumpy+Kermit

@Kei+M  - Please can you advise how people can take part in the testing you are doing with the deployment of a "a logging software build".  I do not recall anyone mentioning this on the forum thread that you closed earlier today so I am sure there are many, many users who would be happy to help Sky to improve their equipment.  I would be happy to help if it can resolve the issue faced by numerous customers.

Additionally - please can you publish the proposed timelines for the completion of this project so that users are aware of when a resolution may be identified.

This message was authored by Jukejoint This message was authored by: Jukejoint

Yep, im back too. typical Sky shut the last thread down...

This message was authored by moletp This message was authored by: moletp

@Gridders.  For what its worth this is happening to me on a V1 2tb box when watching uhd sport. Lasts about a second. This could be a different issue to yours though.

This message was authored by cwmparc This message was authored by: cwmparc

Closing down the other thread, just shows the contempt sky has for its customers.

This message was authored by tsang2000 This message was authored by: tsang2000

I still don't know why their tech support do not at least acknowledge this. Rather saying to me to speak to my AVR manufacturer. 

Gridders
Topic Author
This message was authored by Gridders This message was authored by: Gridders

Hi all

Thanks for all the nice comments. Apologies, I should have said V2 as well as I am fully aware from the last thread that some people having this issues on V2 as well as the newer boxes.

To offer some hope, my journalist contact is speaking to Sky this week. I'll let you know if I hear anything positive back. 

Also, my complaint letter has reached Sky. They called me and the lady said she couldn't open the electronic version typically....so has to reiterate everything over the phone. I now have a BB engineer and a TV engineer booked for Wednesday....but I know they will not be able to fix anything until this box is either updated or recalled. Surely Sky must be losing money on these call outs?! Who knows.

Will keep you updated 

This message was authored by Morgan+McDonnell This message was authored by: Morgan+McDonnell

@cwmparc wrote:

Closing down the other thread, just shows the contempt sky has for its customers.

@cwmparc  Contempt?  A tad strong I think.  Did you read the closing post?  I also have these issues and it's extremely frustrating but, contempt? 🤔

This message was authored by Eddie00001 This message was authored by: Eddie00001

I had this on my first Sky Q box (v1) and still have it on my new HDR v3 box.  It only seems to be on recordings and apps (Netflix, Disney+ etc) rather than live TV and last 10-15sec at a time.  You can rewind and replay and the sound is there, so not an issue with the recording.

This message was authored by Dazzasky This message was authored by: Dazzasky

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

If you know the engineer can't fix the issue then why agree for them to attend. What a complete waste of time @Gridders 

The engineers are not able to resolve this. 

This message was authored by Pistonhead This message was authored by: Pistonhead

Kei+M's closing comments on the now locked long thread about the sound dropouts doesn't seem to indicate much, if any progress in resolving the problem has been made since his post on page 38 of that thread in September (post #567). If a fix hasn't been found within the last 4+ months (and the problem goes back long before then), with all the resources that Sky must have at their disposal I'm beginning to think it'll never get fixed.

Contract is up for renewal in May, and given that there are now so many alternatives to Sky via streaming I shall think carefully before signing on the dotted line for another 18 months.

LG OLED65B1 • Apple TV 4K • Sky Superfast BB

This discussion has been locked

Sorry, you can't reply to this discussion as it's been locked by our Community Managers.

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

New Discussion