Communual dish sky q problems

Runner
Post 1 of 14

Communual dish sky q problems

Hope some of you guys can help me.

I had sky q installed today by an engineer on my new build Flat but some of my channels are saying no satellite signal despite the signal strength and quality 100 and 90 as per photo.

The set up to my communual dish is a dSCR multiswitch which serves 12 flats, I’m one of the first to get sky (Flat 5) so can’t check with neighbours yet. When the engineer checked the signal on the multiswitch he said that the horizontal signal was low to my flat and the developer needs to get the system installer in to look at it.

Can someone help confirm there is nothing wrong with the box set up and it’s to do with the communual set up before I start going through the management company.

cheers!

53902EC2-0F72-4EEC-B15D-EBE0851ED4A5.jpeg

4452F816-D942-4E2F-95D8-C06AAC5086BF.jpeg

0CC435D0-B86F-4E71-B2F0-29E0DA4A8E5A.jpeg

58B48CD0-46CA-4CF8-9C50-2BA4F1B52ACD.jpeg

All Replies
Director of Photography
Post 2 of 14

Re: Communual dish sky q problems

Can’t see photos yet but there is not much you can do to check in your property. Assuming switch was installed via developer they would need to get installation company back in to check levels and signal errors going into the switch.

Signal strength on status does not cover all satellite bands and in SCR mode is even less relevant 

If the horizontal signal is bad, it has to be bad going into switch so all users will ultimately be affected

Runner
Post 3 of 14

Thanks @GordonTGopher hopefully the photos will appear soon to show the set up. Could it be the distance I am away from the dish as I am on the 1st floor? Sky installed the top floor without any signal problems... the multiswitch is on the 4th floor.

Director of Photography
Post 4 of 14

@Muckers89 wrote:

Thanks @GordonTGopher hopefully the photos will appear soon to show the set up. Could it be the distance I am away from the dish as I am on the 1st floor? Sky installed the top floor without any signal problems... the multiswitch is on the 4th floor.

Photos have popped up now. Having the equipment on the 4th floor and you on 1st floor should not be a big issue as the cables go vertically down risers so actual cable runs are not massive.

What does jump out is that I see your property is fed from the last switch in the chain. If you look at the signal flow left to right you have the dish going into the trunk in connectors on first switch and the next switch fed via the trunk out connectors from first and so on.

One issue here is ‘trunk loss’ as each switch has an inherent loss of 2.5dB from trunk in to trunk out, so the signals being presented to your switch are 5dB lower that the signals going into first switch. 

If levels are border line into first switch then signal is doomed for end of food chain.

What is not clear is what is upstream between first switch and dish as if you look at the connectors going into first switch they are longer as they are blocking DC power, so dish is getting powered further upstream.

In a nutshell people who installed system need to check levels going into first switch on each satellite band to ensure there is enough level to feed all three switches taking into account trunk loss. They may need to install an inline trunk amplifier between the incoming dish feed on first switch but again they may have an amplifier already upstream that needs tweaking. 

Runner
Post 5 of 14

To be fair that is pretty much what the sky/lovelife engineer said. He seemed pretty knowledgable but just wanted to get a second opinion before I go through the developers as they are about as useful as a chocolate fire guard. Was hoping for an easy fix...

thanks for the help!!

Camera Operator
Post 6 of 14

@Muckers89

Unfortunately several residents have been left powerless in the middle after the Sky ASHA engineers find a problem when they come to install a Sky Q receiver, but when the problem is referred to the landlord's communal system maintenance engineers they just report that the system is 'OK' without actually specifying just what parameters they are using to come to this opinion.

I therefore offer a modification of the compliance sheet that Sky ask their own ASHA engineers to complete whenever they update a communal system, in order to allow your landlord's system engineers to confirm the actual nominal parameters of the signal entering your apartment, on both horizontally polarised transponder bands and both vertically polarised transponder bands.

dSCR Worksheet.jpg

Godfrey.

Sound Designer
Post 7 of 14

Just a question (from pure noseyness!)

Are those attenuators on the input of both the first and third dSCR multiswitches?

Runner
Post 8 of 14

@Godfrey

Appreciate the help!! I get the feeling it’s going to be a struggle but I won’t be the only one complaining by all accounts. 

So that sheet will effectively guide them into making the adjustments to get them all signals into the pass range?

Camera Operator
Post 9 of 14

@Muckers89 wrote:

So that sheet will effectively guide them into making the adjustments to get them all signals into the pass range?

The signal quality (Modulation Error Rate) of the weakest transponder, direct from a nominal 90 cm communal dish should be in the order of 20 -24 dB. Thus hopefully with such a small simple communal distribution setup, the quality (MER) of the weakest transponder should at least be around 16 -18 dB. For example, my own 16 port dSCR achieves an MER above 21.7 dB on every transponder at the point where it emerges from my wall plates.

The aim of my worksheet is to at least confirm that adequate levels and quality is available on all four transponder bands at the point where it enters your apartment.

Godfrey.

Director of Photography
Post 10 of 14

@Darth+Bane wrote:

Just a question (from pure noseyness!)

Are those attenuators on the input of both the first and third dSCR multiswitches?

No they are DC power blockers, if you look at the middle unit it does not have them as the power supply on the left unit is powering the middle unit via the trunk lines and no external power to middle unit.

Sound Designer
Post 11 of 14

Ah, thank you for that @GordonTGopher

Director of Photography
Post 12 of 14

@Muckers89 - I am not sure when your photo was taken as may have been when Engineer was testing outlets of switch but output 7 of switch 3 which feeds your property is not screwed in fully.

May be a red herring but worth a look. 

Runner
Post 13 of 14

@GordonTGopher That was after the engineer finished testing. Channels were missing before and after but I’ll definitely give it a check!

Runner
Post 14 of 14

Ok that’s clear to me so hopefully the installers show some competence when repairing. I’ll keep the thread posted so that anyone else with same problems can keep informed!!

cheers guys 

@Godfrey @GordonTGopher