Been put off ordering Sky Q

Answered
Go to Answer
Highlighted
Boom Operator
Post 1 of 17

Been put off ordering Sky Q

I was all set to order Sky Q 2TB, however i have been put off by all the comments i have read on here. I know when people have issues they want to shout it from the roof top's but surely there must be a vast number who have no issues and are happy with the service. Is it best to wait for a while until all the glitches are sorted out and the service is more stable.

Answer

Best Answers
Answer
Sound Designer
Post 4 of 17

Re: Been put off ordering Sky Q

I switched from Virgin Tivo & broadband to Sky Q and fibre and my experience has been good, no complaints at all.  Forums are usually like this, lots of moans and complaints, but as you rightly say, the ones with no issues tend not to post much. Don't be put off, give it a go. My setup is all wireless as Sky installed it (a 2TB Q and a mini with a home cinema amp and a UHD TV) and my mini has only needed a reboot twice in 4 months. I like the Q user interface, the picture quality, the easy access to box sets, the airplay built in and the My Q section.

A lot of negativity on here boils down to people's personal preferences not being catered for, like favourites and reminders (honestly, don't go there!) or they get enraged about the brightness of the blue Q light on the box (I cannot believe the time and effort people have put into moaning about that!). If you took all that out, it's mostly about connectivity issues, which I don't have. Take the forum with a huge pinch of salt, and if you want Q, then try it out. If you wait for people to stop complaining on here before you decide, you'll never get it. I read this forum before I ordered, and I was a bit worried about how it would all go because of it, and in the end it worked out just fine. 

All Replies
Camera Assistant
Post 2 of 17

Hi, I've had Q since the start, placing my order on day one. Yes there are still a few issues and I need to reboot every now and again, but it is more stable. However, it is not SKY HD, which is a mistake many people have made. My setup is Q via HDMI to LG OLED via HDMI to Yamaha 2500 soundbar. It just needs a little configuration that you would not expect.
Director of Photography
Post 3 of 17

There will alway be more complaint than praise on customer forum. It's the most accesible place to complain or vent you anger when things go wrong.

There many who are having problems with sky Q  but there are many having no problems and some having few problems

I  have had Sky Q since the beginning of June so can only speak from my experience which has been good. I have had no connectivity problems at all with either of my mini and they are connected by Wifi. I have had to reboot my main box on about 4 occasion this is also connected by Wifi.

Sky preffered connection is by Wifi which for some houses may not be the best method and you may have to look at alterative method ie powerline or ethernet.

As has been said above Sky Q is not Sky HD and as such some of the features in HD are not in Q if you was reminders or favourites these are not supported and there has been no announcement from Sky whether they will or will not at a later stage.

Personally I would reccomend Sky Q but I know some would tell you it's not worth it. I also know that for some people the initial cost is quite high.. All I can say would be try it if it works all fine and well if you are having problem you have 30 days to ask Sky to remove it and put your HD system back in I also believe you will be refunded what you have paid out.

Sky Q Bundle
Sky Q Silver Bundle
Sky Sports
Sky Cinema
Sky Fibre Unlimited

Answer
Sound Designer
Post 4 of 17

I switched from Virgin Tivo & broadband to Sky Q and fibre and my experience has been good, no complaints at all.  Forums are usually like this, lots of moans and complaints, but as you rightly say, the ones with no issues tend not to post much. Don't be put off, give it a go. My setup is all wireless as Sky installed it (a 2TB Q and a mini with a home cinema amp and a UHD TV) and my mini has only needed a reboot twice in 4 months. I like the Q user interface, the picture quality, the easy access to box sets, the airplay built in and the My Q section.

A lot of negativity on here boils down to people's personal preferences not being catered for, like favourites and reminders (honestly, don't go there!) or they get enraged about the brightness of the blue Q light on the box (I cannot believe the time and effort people have put into moaning about that!). If you took all that out, it's mostly about connectivity issues, which I don't have. Take the forum with a huge pinch of salt, and if you want Q, then try it out. If you wait for people to stop complaining on here before you decide, you'll never get it. I read this forum before I ordered, and I was a bit worried about how it would all go because of it, and in the end it worked out just fine. 

Director of Photography
Post 5 of 17

@Cooper+D Something else I forgot to mention are you upgrading from Sky HD if so are you having any problems with you HD box. If not take a look in the Sky HD forum there are numerous post of disgruntled customers

Sky Q Bundle
Sky Q Silver Bundle
Sky Sports
Sky Cinema
Sky Fibre Unlimited

Boom Operator
Post 6 of 17

Just got sky q , Ordered and recorded pay per view wrestling but only part came out, same happened when tried again with repeat showing.Any ideas

Boom Operator
Post 7 of 17

No idea as I don't have it yet. Perhaps you should start a new thread and maybe someone will have a solution for you.

Boom Operator
Post 8 of 17

Had sky+HD for years and never had an issue, you do make a fair point. Is it worth investing in an ultra HD TV or is it better just to stay with HD for now.

Director of Photography
Post 9 of 17

@Cooper+D I don't have a UHD TV at the moment. I upgraded simply due to box my HD boxes were beginning to go and the one in the living room needed rebooting at least once a month. To replace the HD boxes with new was actually going to cost me more than it was to upgrade to Sky Q.

Think it's purely up to you whether to get a UHD TV or not. The only thing I would say that if you did make sure it conforms to the correct Sky Q specs ie HDCP 2.2 I think it is.

Sky Q Bundle
Sky Q Silver Bundle
Sky Sports
Sky Cinema
Sky Fibre Unlimited

Camera Assistant
Post 10 of 17

I switched myself from Virgin who I was with for a number of years. I was offered a fantastic deal through Curry's which was to good to say no too and I am currently waiting for my installation date.

Everything has been automated and had no problems so far. I haven't ever had Sky and can't wait to start using it. I was a bit hesitant at first due to some of the issues I read about on this forum and others.

I have a friend with Sky Q and a few mini boxes, he says it crashes at least once a week. But he is happy with it while it's still  a a new product. 

Runner
Post 11 of 17

Breaks down multiple times every day. Does that sound like a problem you want? Don't buy it, I wish I hadn't.

Director of Photography
Post 12 of 17

@Sofedupwiththisq when did you have yours installed if its less than 30 days ago the best thing for you would be to go back to HD  if you had that or cancel completely.

Or you could detail the problems you have and see if anyone can help

Sky Q Bundle
Sky Q Silver Bundle
Sky Sports
Sky Cinema
Sky Fibre Unlimited

Camera Assistant
Post 13 of 17

I can't comment on othet peoples issues, and i know people are genuinely not getting what is classed as trouble free service a lot of the time, but personally I have 3 boxes and have rebooted the minis twice and the Silver once in nearly 3 months. On the flipside, my HD boxes were almost guarenteed to be rebooted once a week.

Ideal? No.
Worse the Sky+HD? Certainly not.
Boom Operator
Post 14 of 17

Had Q for two months. Very minor issues. I'm not particularly bothered as I don't watch much TV. Other people in the house do.
1. When changing from virgin bb to sky fibre I had to reboot every box a couple times.
2. Mini q not waking up after few days standby. Resolved by disabling eco modes on both boxes.
3. When changing from one hdmi source back to sky throws up a hdcp error. Resolved by turning TV off then back on again, though I suspect this is a TV problem not a Q problem.
Camera Assistant
Post 15 of 17

@Wildfruit is your tv old? 

Recommended Threads