Aerial Replacement for RF Out with Q

Answered
Go to Answer
Highlighted
Viewer
Post 1 of 8

Aerial Replacement for RF Out with Q

Hi

With Sky HD I had a slightly complex setup in that we have the aerial cable coming into the lounge and into the sky box, using the RF out to an aerial socket on the wall upto a signal booster in the loft which then feeds the rest of the aerial sockets in the house (bedroom TV mainly). We used this so we could watch the current sky channel throughout the house, but to be honest we never used it.

I've just got Sky Q (2tb box plus one mini box) and the Q box doesn't have an RF out so I'm wondering what I need to get it working. Will a simple aerial splitter work given that I already have a booster in the loft? In from the aerial then one out to the TV, and one out to the wall socket to be fed around the house via the booster in the loft.

I'm not bothered about firing the sky signal around the house as a) I know the Q box wont do it in the same way the HD box did and b) we have a mini box so we can use that if necessary, all I want to do is feed the aerial signal around the house. Anyway, any help gratefully recieved as I admittedly know very little about aerials Smiley Happy

Thanks in advance.

Mark

Answer

Best Answers
Answer
Camera Operator
Post 2 of 8

Re: Aerial Replacement for RF Out with Q

YorkshireBeef wrote:

Hi

With Sky HD I had a slightly complex setup in that we have the aerial cable coming into the lounge and into the sky box, using the RF out to an aerial socket on the wall upto a signal booster in the loft which then feeds the rest of the aerial sockets in the house (bedroom TV mainly). We used this so we could watch the current sky channel throughout the house, but to be honest we never used it.

I've just got Sky Q (2tb box plus one mini box) and the Q box doesn't have an RF out so I'm wondering what I need to get it working. Will a simple aerial splitter work given that I already have a booster in the loft? In from the aerial then one out to the TV, and one out to the wall socket to be fed around the house via the booster in the loft.

I'm not bothered about firing the sky signal around the house as a) I know the Q box wont do it in the same way the HD box did and b) we have a mini box so we can use that if necessary, all I want to do is feed the aerial signal around the house. Anyway, any help gratefully recieved as I admittedly know very little about aerials Smiley Happy

Thanks in advance.

Mark

@YorkshireBeefYour old HD box had 2 aerial connections to it - an in and an out. These are probably now just lying behind your new Q box. Just plug them together and everything should work just as it did previously but without Sky added.

If you had 2 aerial outputs in use, then a simple powered aerial amplifier with 2 outputs will be needed.

All Replies
Answer
Camera Operator
Post 2 of 8

YorkshireBeef wrote:

Hi

Thanks in advance.

Mark

@YorkshireBeefYour old HD box had 2 aerial connections to it - an in and an out. These are probably now just lying behind your new Q box. Just plug them together and everything should work just as it did previously but without Sky added.

If you had 2 aerial outputs in use, then a simple powered aerial amplifier with 2 outputs will be needed.

Viewer
Post 3 of 8

Thanks Chris. Never even considered just plugging the two cables together!

Already got a signal booster in the loft so will I need another signal booster?

Sound Supervisor
Post 4 of 8

If you do not need freeview on your tv, just sky, then you can just join RF ends together and loop the aerial straight back up to the loft splitter/booster.

Camera Operator
Post 5 of 8

YorkshireBeef wrote:

Thanks Chris. Never even considered just plugging the two cables together!

Already got a signal booster in the loft so will I need another signal booster?

@YorkshireBeefOnly if you were using both aerial outputs from the HD box. If you were only using one, which is what it sounds like from your description then you do no need another signal booster

Runner
Post 6 of 8

If you plug the RF in to the RF out then how would you get Sky on the other TV's if the RF isn't going through the sky box?

Oracle
Post 7 of 8

dctayloruk11 wrote:

If you plug the RF in to the RF out then how would you get Sky on the other TV's if the RF isn't going through the sky box?

No you won't. If you want to have Sky Q output on an RF system you will need a HDMI splitter and an HDMI modulator. Far simpler to use Q minis.

==========================

Oracles are customers and people too.
Sound Supervisor
Post 8 of 8

dctayloruk11 wrote:

There are no RF sockets on a skyQ box.

Recommended Threads