Visual Voicemail

Boom Operator
Post 31 of 40

Re: Visual Voicemail

Hi,

Sorry, should have clarified. Yes, on an iPhone X, iOS 11.4 and 32.0 for my carrier settings. 

I've downgraded to 11.3, fresh build no personal settings, reset network settings, put back to 11.4 on a fresh build and ultimately, restored to my previous backup. 

I'm convinced it's cause I've ported my number over and never used the sky SIM until that happened....can't be set up if it's not been activated on the official sky SIM. 

I've tried CS and getting nowhere fast. They want me to send my phone back! Promise you, it's not hardware. 

Any other thoughts?

Thanks for any help. 

Boom Operator
Post 32 of 40

I might be getting out of my depth because I don’t have the iPhone X but I wasn’t aware Apple had released a later OS than 11.3. I can’t see how it can be down to the sim because that’s just registered to your number. 

VVM is a firmware update for Sky as far as I know, reliant on 11.3. Although you mentioned you restored a backup - are your OS and carrier versions correct now (11.3 and 32.0 respectively)? 

Im not from tech support (or Sky lol) so sorry if I’m not going to help any further than that.

------------------------------------------------------------------------

I used to think for myself. Then I gave everything over to Sky. Now they are my life.
Boom Operator
Post 33 of 40

I'm on a public beta which is 11.4

Apart from that, yeah, everything is up to date. It should just be software but was worth a shot. Just wanted a sounding board to see if is missed anything obvious. 

Thanks

Researcher
Post 34 of 40

I have exactly the same issue (iPhone X / on public beta / moved carriers in late 2017 etc).  I assumed that being on 11.4 had compromised the change. Called Sky and pleasant but nothing more than you can get on the forum and resorted to the “wipe down and start again” advice as the usual last resort. So when contract over with sky its back to O2 as it’s always worked perfectly there and really useful to have visual voicemail for work

Boom Operator
Post 35 of 40

Hi,

I changed the SIM and reset the network settings to see if it would force a change. Few hours later, it's now activated. Don't know if those actions or something in the background worked but it's now done. 

I also phoned and got messed around cause they are clueless. I'm quietly confident it's the carrier settings version. A different  network SIM will force that to update, then place the Sky SIM in again.  Worked for me after 3 weeks of frustration. 

Good luck. 

Researcher
Post 36 of 40

Thanks Timmmmyyyyyy

after posting in frustrating I called Sky support again and got a really hugely helpful person on the phone which has ended up with a new SIM being posted out from Sky.

Fingers crossed it works - more hopeful now as it seems along the same lines as what solved your issue. I’ll let everyone know if it does

Boom Operator
Post 37 of 40

Excellent. Yes, let us know if that works. 

Researcher
Post 38 of 40

Update:  Received the new SIM in the week (took couple of days).  I activated it online, waited 10 minutes, turned off the phone and inserted new SIM, turned the phone on and all sorted - Visual Voicemail now working in all it's glory.  

It seems that from this experience, and Timmyyyy's previous post, the phones network SIM settings need a 'kick' so phone Sky and just ask for a new SIM

Just like to add that people - and certainly including me - are quick to vent their frustration with bog-standard help-desks which are managed to answer 60 calls an hour and just parrot the standard 'reset phone to factory settings' answer.  But this experience really shows that when you get the right person who is actually willing to investigate the issue and get to the bottom of a problem it can do wonders for customer loyalty and satisfaction.  

I never like to name indiviudals online but hopefully Sky will read this and know who the member of their Falkirk office is who finally helped me and give him a bottle of wine as a thank you for a job very well done!

Boom Operator
Post 39 of 40

Excellent. That's annoying it was that simple!

Sound Designer
Post 40 of 40

I have been having this issue, and got my iPhone X a week before they activated.

Finally decidded to swap out my Sim to my old sim (three) which had been deactivated, it obviously did not work as extected but showed up in the carrier settings. I swapped back to my Sky SIM card and then visual voicemail started working.

It appears to just be an issue where Apple have not coded for the scenario where it is activated after the carrier settings are applied. I expect if you updated your phone to the new version of iOS after they switched in on in their background settings it works ok.

Worth a try if anyone still has issues.