Mobile Data Usage

Camera Assistant
Post 16 of 37

Re: Mobile Data Usage

@mrdover123 wrote:

I had the same issue and was told by Sky that you use your data even if your connected to wifi. This is because Sky does not stop data usage when your apps should be running on wifi unlike  other providers.  Maybe i should of read the contract better. If Sky don't sort this issue out, i will not be renewing my phone or tv when contracts are up. Hope this helps

K. Smith

I dont see this in the contract, but they are lengthy!

Iv never heard anything like this before, @Sam-R is this true?

Jay

*PLEASE if you have been helped 'like' the response. Been given an answer from a member PLEASE mark as the answer*

Just helping where i can. Or adding my 2 pence worth!
Oracle
Post 17 of 37

@mrdover123 wrote:

This is because Sky does not stop data usage when your apps should be running on wifi unlike  other providers.

Sounds a load of nonsense to me but *if* true the obvious way to stop it from happening is to turn mobile data off when not using it or when connected to Wifi.

__________________________________________________________________________________________.

If someone has helped you then please click on the LIKES button in their post.
I do not work for Sky.
Runner
Post 18 of 37

This is the answer i got from Sky, but if you have any doubts, pbone Sky. If you get a different answer would you please let me know. I'm sick and tired of turning data roaming on and off. 

Camera Assistant
Post 19 of 37

Did they tell you exactly where in the T&C's you can find this information?

Its just extremely odd.

Jay

*PLEASE if you have been helped 'like' the response. Been given an answer from a member PLEASE mark as the answer*

Runner
Post 20 of 37

She didn't and i never asked but i did tell her that customers need to be told this . I don't think it's right but it will be in the t&c's so they will have it covered . They should really make this crystal clear because who would ask that question when taking out a contract. I thought all providers stopped data usage when connected to wifi.

Camera Assistant
Post 21 of 37

*I don't see this in the contract (t&c's) please contact Sky again if you wish and ask them to point you to which section this is visible on the contract* I like making accusations, but i think you were potentially misinformed but some clarity would help first*

Ensure WI-Fi assist is off!

Try manually turning mobile data on and off when on and off WI-Fi.

Other than that, its the network provider (SKY) that would need to investigate this fully. I am awaiting further clarification for what you were told, as i want to know too whether its in the T&C's.

Jay

Runner
Post 22 of 37

If you are told anything different would you please let me know. We should be able to leave mobile data and not use it all up when your connected to wifi

Camera Assistant
Post 23 of 37

I dont personally believe this is the case. But that is my opinion!

But lets see what the official response is! Im hoping @Sam-R can add the response into this thread.

Cheers

Jay

Runner
Post 24 of 37

I hope i was given the wrong information but it would explain disapearing data. Did your data run out before you changed over to Sky ? 

Kev

Camera Assistant
Post 25 of 37

@mrdover123 wrote:

I hope i was given the wrong information but it would explain disapearing data. Did your data run out before you changed over to Sky ? 

Kev

I am not experiencing the same issues people have described here. My Data use is normal and it was also the case when i was with EE.

Im trying to get to the bottom of this.

Can you confirm what steps you have taken in terms of settings? e.g. Wi-Fi assist off...

Jay

New Viewer
Post 26 of 37

My data is used up within a couple of days also though I also pay extra fir extra data. I have noticed that when I am using wi fi it automatically resets itself to 4G? So my data disappears as I use a lot of on line wi go on my phone I’m believe this is intentional.  When my data runs out it sticks to WiFi. Very strange. 

Community Manager
Post 27 of 37

Hi all,

There is no reference to forcing data over cellular in the terms and conditions as it's something we definitely don't do. 

I believe under certain circumstances some apps choose to use cellular over WiFi like WiFi assist on Apple. If you're on an iPhone you can go to Options - Mobile Data - scroll right down and turn off. I think it also gives you a note of the data used via that method before you switch off. 

Sam
Community Manager

Take a look at the latest exclusive Sky customer offers
Editor
Post 28 of 37

Im having same issue here.

was with o2 for a good 5+ years. my average data usage was 3.5 gb.

im not doing anything different now

apps are diwnloaded via wifi

wifi used where possible

wifi assist  disabled

tried network reset

using latest ios

rebooted phone

data uasge in settings lower than what i have used.

so this leads me to believe its a network issue

even the wife has used twice her average and 90% of time she is somewhere where she can use wifi.

so please add me to the list to and my wife.

thanks

If i have helped you please mark as solution to help others. Thanks
1x Sky Q Silver - 1x Sky Q Mini - 1x Sky Q Hub - SKY Fibre PRO | Ex Beta Tester for Sky (awaiting to join sky q beta)
Runner
Post 29 of 37

Absolutely impossible mate when your DATA IS SWITCHED OFF! Which was ALWAYS in both mine and my hubbies case! So don't try to kid a kidder!

Also, since being with my new company Smarty, i barely even use half a gb a month! I get triple the amount of data for what i was payjng with you guys, free calls and free texts, and guess what? They actually refund you for any data not used, so each month i only end up paying about £6.50 😊

And have NEVER LOST ANY DATA WITH THEM!

You guys are nothing but scam merchants,  its only a shame it took me almost 20yrs and a load of stolen data to realise it, thank god i left you!

Community Manager
Post 30 of 37

Not sure what is happening if data was still being used with data switched off. But some apps can still use data if on WiFi. I believe visual voicemail does this even though it's a matter of a few kb.

Might be worth going into Mobile Data settings and then resetting statistics. You can then keep a close watch on things. 

I mean in the last 2 Days and 6 hours "Your DPD" has used 146KB on my phone despite me not opening it in months... 

Salesforce... 58.9KB - I only ever open this at work - so I should be on WiFi but to be honest I think the signal is a bit patchy in some areas of the building. 

OneNote is at 544KB and I'm not sure why either. I use this a fair bit but again... on WiFi.

And in my general day to day habits I'm not often out of WiFi and when I am I'm not looking at my phone. If you have an app that doesn't really need to do anything outside of WiFi I would try stopping mobile data on it. 

Personally, I think when data goes missing like this it's more often than not an app thing. 

Sam
Community Manager

Take a look at the latest exclusive Sky customer offers
Recommended Threads
Oracle 01-01-2018 09:58 AM
07-04-2018 08:04 PM
20-01-2018 05:19 PM
02-02-2018 04:00 PM
a month ago 05:03 PM