Mobile Data Usage

Researcher
Post 1 of 37

Mobile Data Usage

Ok now Im really confused here. I am into my third month with sky mobile and to ensure I have plenty of data have 5gb every month. The last couple of months I havnt used all the allowance but this month for some reason all my 5gb of data has gone in just 10 days. Anyone else had a simular issue? I have checked my mobile account online and basically its telling me that nealry 3gb has gone in the last 24 hours. Im really cheesed off as I have no idea how this has happened. Any ideas anyone?

All Replies
Oracle
Post 2 of 37

Re: Mobile Data Usage

If you are using an Andriod device then you should be able to see what is using your data up and compare it to what used the data last month when you were under your monthly limit. You should be able to do this via Settings > Mobile Data.

__________________________________________________________________________________________.

If someone has helped you then please click on the LIKES button in their post.
I do not work for Sky.
Researcher
Post 3 of 37

Hi thanks, no its an iphone 7.

Oracle
Post 4 of 37

I think it is something simiar for an iphone:

Settings > Mobile > Mobile Data Usage

__________________________________________________________________________________________.

I do not work for Sky.
Researcher
Post 5 of 37

Thanks i will check. If i makes zero sense to me (which to be honest it probably will) if and when i finally get through to anyone at sky via the telephone (no luck so far) will they be able to give me an itemised breakdown do you know? I really dont see how that much data has been sucked away when I was at work yesterday and when i came home my phone uses the sky wifi, Its almost as if I had had the phone on tethering mode and I havent.

Community Manager
Post 6 of 37

Unfortunately, we won't be able to give you a breakdown of data usage. But @caesarome is right - those settings on the iPhone are an itemised breakdown of sorts. You'd be surprised how much data apps can gobble up.

You can have a closer look at what's taking up a lot of data. Also at the very bottom of the page, you can reset statistics to get a more accurate idea. 

The current period is the period since the last reset so to have the data usage over a different timescale you'd need to reset statistics and keep an eye on it. 

Turning off background app refresh and maybe using Twitter lite if you're a big twitter user, can help. Loads of tips out there on saving data via Google as well. 

Sam
Community Manager

Take a look at the latest exclusive Sky customer offers
Qwe
New Viewer
Post 7 of 37

I recently switched from Giff Gaff, had 2gb with GG and never used all of it each month. 2months with Sky on 5gb and it's gone within days, no changes to device settings, everything is directed through wifi first and 80% of apps have mobile data disabled. Absolute joke

Community Manager
Post 8 of 37

That's really weird. I would say the problem lies with an app on your device rather than the network. You can check your itemised bills to try and zero in on at least when your usage spiked?

Example:

Screen Shot 2017-11-06 at 11.37.25.png

Sam
Community Manager

Take a look at the latest exclusive Sky customer offers
New Viewer
Post 9 of 37

My mobile data is not working

Oracle
Post 10 of 37

If you haven't already try turning the data connection off then reboot your phone and then after you have restarted it try turning it back on again.

I do not work for Sky.
Runner
Post 11 of 37

Both my husband and myself have data go missing each month, despite our data actually being turned off, as we only turn it on when we go out, and we've actually watch data disappear before our very eyes while our data is disabled on our phones, trying to get it sorted is a nightmare, phone put down on me, to the point where everytime I want to speak to a manager I have to delete my direct debit! The latest manager offered me a gesture of goodwill to cover my small mobile bill while he had it fully investigated,  as he could see I'd been cut off at least 9 times, with no return callback, that manager hasn't been in since, and didn't put the credit on as promised, therefore sky have cut off our mobile services! You're an absolute disgrace! A third manager, is trying to find the call between me and this manager, so we'll see what happens on Monday, if it's not resolved to my satisfaction, I'm leaving sky afyer 20yrs of custom! And I'll be suing for breech of contract! 

Runner
Post 12 of 37

Yes, I have the same problem too. I also just switched from Giffgaff. Within 2 days, I have lost 100+MB mobile data. Whereas when I was with Giffgaff, I hardly used off my monthly mobile data limit of 100MB. No changes of my apps setting whatsoever after changing to Sky sim from Giffgaff. Looks like I am been cheaated for signing up for 1GB data on Sky.

Runner
Post 13 of 37

new phone yesterday - all restotred by wifi, wifi set up at home and final restore points on wifi but lost 700mb data in one day - how is this possible SKY - what is going on - is there a bug in your sims which drain data?

@Denise+Lowewrote:

Ok now Im really confused here. I am into my third month with sky mobile and to ensure I have plenty of data have 5gb every month. The last couple of months I havnt used all the allowance but this month for some reason all my 5gb of data has gone in just 10 days. Anyone else had a simular issue? I have checked my mobile account online and basically its telling me that nealry 3gb has gone in the last 24 hours. Im really cheesed off as I have no idea how this has happened. Any ideas anyone?

Stuart jaycocks
Runner
Post 14 of 37

I had the same issue and was told by Sky that you use your data even if your connected to wifi. This is because Sky does not stop data usage when your apps should be running on wifi unlike  other providers.  Maybe i should of read the contract better. If Sky don't sort this issue out, i will not be renewing my phone or tv when contracts are up. Hope this helps

K. Smith

Camera Assistant
Post 15 of 37

Hi all,

I dont think anybody has mentioned the Wi-Fi assist feature on IOS?

"Turn Wi-Fi Assist on or off;

Wi-Fi Assist is on by default. If you don't want your iOS device to stay connected to the Internet when you have a poor Wi-Fi connection, you can disable Wi-Fi Assist. Go to Settings > Mobile Data. Then scroll down (quite far down the list) and tap the slider for Wi-Fi Assist so it is off."

Worth testing with this off. I hate the feature because many people see a drain on there mobile data, and many dont even know the setting exists or even on by DEFAULT!!!

Jay

*PLEASE if you have been helped 'like' the response. Been given an answer from a member PLEASE mark as the answer*

Just helping where i can. Or adding my 2 pence worth!
Recommended Threads
Oracle 01-01-2018 09:58 AM
07-04-2018 08:04 PM
20-01-2018 05:19 PM
02-02-2018 04:00 PM
22-04-2018 05:03 PM