Disable Parental Controls

Researcher
Post 1 of 8

Disable Parental Controls

Earlier today I tried to access the IMDB (Internet Movie Database) website and it came up that’s Sky had blocked it as it looked like an adult website and I needed to disable parental controls if I wanted to visit it.

I logged in to MySky and found that my Controls were already disabled, so went back to the website and refreshed but no, still blocked.

Foolishly, I then went back to my Sky settings and planned to turn them on and off again, to see if that did anything, but then, when I went to turn them off, I was told I needed to enter credit card details to prove I was over 18.

I am fortunate enough to not need a credit card so therefore I don’t have one. I tried using my debit card but I knew and declined it.

I phoned the Sky Help Team and was told.. “Could you use someone else’s credit card and give them the £1 refunded verification fee?”

I am 29 in a few weeks, but because I don’t have a credit card and Sky don’t allow any other way of proving my age, theyre now going to block content thinking I’m under 18. It’s ridiculous!

All Replies
Runner
Post 2 of 8

Re: Disable Parental Controls

Hi @andy12340,

• To turn off Parental Controls, you’ll need to verify that you're over 18 using a Credit card payment. Your card will be charged £1 which will be credited back to your Sky Mobile account.

• Parental Controls settings can be changed at any time, sign in to Manage.

• If you have more than one SIM on your account, you can set different Parental Controls settings for each SIM.

• If you’re using Wi-Fi then Parental Controls won’t apply (your broadband provider or public Wi-Fi provider may have other settings or filters).

Thanks,

Italo.

Researcher
Post 3 of 8

Hi Italo,

As I said in my original message, I do not have a credit card.

I wasnt aware that it was a rite of passage to get one the second you turn 18...

Runner
Post 4 of 8

Hi @andy12340,

You can contact Sky to validate other options.

Thanks,

Italo.

Researcher
Post 5 of 8

Again, as I said in my original post, the advisor on the phone said credit card validation was the only option..

Runner
Post 6 of 8

If it is the only option, it only remains to do it that way.

Thanks,

Italo.

Community Manager
Post 7 of 8

Hi @andy12340

I take it you were not on WiFi when this happened? 

It looks to me like IMDB might be wrongly classified. You can email crsupport@sky.uk to say you think that it is. 

If you're on WiFi and this is happening and you're on Sky Broadband you may need to adjust settings here: https://www.sky.com/help/articles/sky-broadband-shield-explained

As for the credit card, it looks as if this is the only way to do it but I am asking the question to see if there is another way. 

Sam
Community Manager

Take a look at the latest exclusive Sky customer offers
Community Manager
Post 8 of 8

It seems that regarding the credit card. This is the only way we can do things for now. 

Sam
Community Manager

Take a look at the latest exclusive Sky customer offers
Recommended Threads