Help
Help

Sky+HD, SkyHD & Sky 3D
Frequent Contributor
samb333
Accepted Solution

Watching Sky in another room without using multi room.

I want to be able to watch sky in another room ie. 1 in living room , 1 in bedroom. It is just for me so dont want to get a multi room setup.

What would i need to be able to send signal to bedroom TV and also be able to use remote control in bedroom and be able to change channels etc. on sky+HD box in living room.

I have No aerial in House and no Coaxial setup.

So I am looking for options.

Regards

Sam.

Sammy
Stay Safe: Don't post any personal details or Sky account information. Plain text only in this box.
Super User
Mark39

Re: Watching Sky in another room without using multi room.

Either:

1. RF cable between the Sky box and remote TV + magic eye to control the Sky box remotely. Cheap and easy to set up, but picture quality poor.

2. Wireless video sender (with build in remote control extender). Easy to set up, reasonable price, prone to interference, moderate picture quality

3. Long HDMI cable & splitter to feed HD picture to the remote TV. Inexpensive, thick cable to route to the bedroom, excellent picture quality, some splitters won't work with Sky

4. HDMI over Cat5/6 ethernet cable. Requires one splitter and baluns at either end + HDMI cables. Moderate price, excellent picture quality, same splitter problem, easier to route than HDMI cable

5. HD Wireless video sender. Very expensive, excellent picture quality, otherwise as 2 above.

Stay Safe: Don't post any personal details or Sky account information. Plain text only in this box.
Frequent Contributor
samb333

Thank You for your very quick reply. Think i will go for option 1. As it seems they easiest one to do. i dont mind too much about picture quality as the second TV is not HD.

Sam.

Sammy
Occasional Visitor
pejp63

Hello Mark.

I was considering whether solution 4 might be relevant to my question which I have posted in topic "Alternative to AV sender sfrom Sky_ (not HD) to digital TV?" (sorry about the mistype, should be Sky+).

Could you please have a look at the question there.

I am not sure how the IR control would be covered.

Thanks

Super User
Mark39

[ Edited ]

Hi pejp63,

Replied to your other post here.

Contributor
Henry+the+eigth

Hi I have a cable through to another room from my main sky box and have a magic eye attached to it. I was able to watch sky at one time but it hasnt been used for a while and now although the cables are connected and the red light on the magic eye is on I cant find sky on the tv now? Also I could only watch what was on the main sky box? Any suggestions please? Many thanks Harry.:smileyhappy:

Super User
caesarome

Try retunning the picture in again on the tv in this other room. You will need to do this via the analogue tunner.

With this you can only watch what is on the box that it is connected to.

__________________________________________________________________________________________.

If someone has helped you then please click on the LIKES button in their post.
I do not work for Sky.
Contributor
Henry+the+eigth

Hi Caesarome and thanks for prompt reply. I am not that up to speed with technology sorry as you are probably aware. By Analogue tuner do you mean the TV itself or the remote? How would I find the Sky channel? I have a little digi box which picks up all the terrestial channels, do I bypass that and just plug the cable with the magic eye straight into the set? Sorry to be so vague. Kind Regards Harry.

Super User
Mark39

Caesarome means on the TV in the other room. You need to go to the TV's setup menu, and scan for channels, using both digital and analogue tuners. Yes, connect the cable from your Sky box directly into your TV when you do this, and make sure the Sky box is switched on to the TV Guide.

If you have a cable from the TV aerial next to your Sky box, plug it into the aerial/RF input socket of your Sky box. You won't then need the digi box in the other room. The cable from the Sky box to the TV in your other room will carry all the terrestrial channels as well as the signal from the Sky box.

Contributor
Henry+the+eigth

Many thanks Mark and sorry for my delay in responding. I have an extension of the ariel from the main sky box through to the other room with an eye connected to it. I will plug that straight into the back of the tv put the sky tv guide on the main tv and then scan for channels? Once I hopefully find the right channel will I need to use a sky remote with the tv in the other room also please? Many thanks.

Kind Regards Harry.:smileyhappy:

Occasional Visitor
vishal+B

for the 2nd suggestion (wireless video sender) is there any set-up/configuration that i will need to do on my SKY+ HD box?

Super User
Mark39

The only thing you may need to change is the Scart Video Output setting (Services -> Settings -> Picture). Some video senders support RGB, some support Composite video only - change the setting to PAL, if so.

ImmyB

Hi all.

I used to have an old white sky+ box which was connected to my TV in the second bedroom by a long cable which goes up into the ceiling and down into my bedroom. Then I was able to view my sky by using a little black "mouse" which sits on top of the TV. I'm not certain as to what sort of cable it is as I had it installed for me.

Now I have sky HD there is no where on the back of the box to plug the end of the cable into, does anyone have any thoughts?

Thanks in advance..
Super User
Mark39

I'd imagine the 'mouse' you mention is actually a 'magic eye' which allows you to remotely control your Sky box from your bedroom. You're right, the latest Sky boxes don't have an RF output which is what the cable to your bedroom TV would have been connected to. You need an IO Link adapter, available from www.sky.com/accessories which plugs into the IO socket on the back panel of your Sky box. The adapter has an RF output similar to the one on your old Sky+ box, that you can connect the cable to your upstairs TV to.

Occasional Visitor
PaulineM

Hi! i've been searching for info for sky HD in another room without cables, strangely problem solved! got a sky hd box this week and have been using an old Logik digi sender/receiver with old sky box to watch sky in bedroom, so on reading lots of posts was dissapointed the set up would not work but it has!? probably down to the fact my Panasonic Viera is HD Ready and not HD :-( so had to use the scart and not the pink HDMI Cable from sky, anyway l tried the yellow.white/blue cables straight in to the back of the sky HD box disgarding the transmitter adapter and tried it and weeeehey it works upstairs! complety excellent picture no interference 5.8ghz old digi sender, very happy, problem is when l upgrade to HD TV is there a scart for the set up l have? hope this makes sense and helps people looking for the same set up, maybe not HD but brilliant & clear picture for me :-)