Help
Help

Sky+HD, SkyHD & Sky 3D
Occasional Visitor
Gopan+and+Jaclyn

Sky magic eye notworking with new hd box

Hi, I change my old Sky HD box to the new 1TB HD box, I have setup my magic eye, gone through the engineer's menu to the RF Output and turned on it on and saved it.  The TV Link is red but I get no picture.  Previously the TVLink worked so I dont know what the issue is.

Can anyone offer any assistance?

Please do not post any personal details or account information. Please use plain text.
Super User
Stantheman2k12

Re: Sky magic eye notworking with new hd box

Try Retuning your tv through anologue setup. as the rf out channel may have been different on your old box.
If I Or Anyone Has Helped Please Kudos. If Your Problem Is Solved Please Click On Accept As Solution.
Please do not post any personal details or account information. Please use plain text.
Regular Visitor
teakbank

Quote by other users: Test the magic eye by plugging it directly into the RF2 socket of your Sky box. Completely cover up the front panel of the box (the slightest gap will let enough IR light in and give you a false result) and then check whether or not the eye works.

Reply....

This does not work. Magic eye works direct off hd box but not on either of two feeds ive tried in other rooms, completely seperate cable runs....PROVES there must not be enough current sent out by these 2TB boxes...so not fit for purpose.

The tv picks up a picture off the end of the co-ax but you cannot point a sky remote at sender to change channel back to skybox...you have to go into the room where skybox is & change at main box. NOT HAPPY :smileysad:

I had this magic eye working for years on a Thompson Sky box ok & could totally control my viewing remotely.

Can anyone from Sky answer this please.......
Community Coordinator
Chris-McP

Hi teakbank,

Thank you for seeking help on the Sky Help Forum with your magic eye.

Sorry to see you are not having a great time of it just now. How many boxes do you have?

Chris-McP
Community Coordinator
Community Welcome, Hints & Tips
Sky Help Centre http://www.sky.com/help

New to the forum? Click here
Tagging your posts and others with relevant key words is another way to help,
it also counts towards forum rank.
Regular Visitor
teakbank

Re: Sky magic eye not working with new hd box

I have one new Sky+HD 2TB box to replace the old Thomson white sky+ box so i could start using On Demand.

I put the magic eye in the back of the box, covered the remote of the box, then tried using the remote to change channel etc & it worked direct off the skybox.

That's proved the RF2 is sending out power & the magic eye still works as it did until yesterday morning when i installed the new Skybox upgrade.

I then took the eye & stuck it on the end of another length of coax & tried using it, having put the other end of the co ax on RF2....it didn't work either.

So to summerise the only difference is installation of the new Sky+HD 2TB box which appears to not be man enough to push out the signal down a given length of co ax.

I add that the picture is fine on the bedroom tv & i can adjust the volume, but cannot change sky channels.

I do not have any other feed into the bedroom, so it's Sky only & stuck with what channel has been left on in the lounge.

Wife not happy & says it must be something i've done, but it isn't.

Any ideas please....  

Super User
Mark39

The RF2 output from the 2TB box should be fine for a single magic eye.

Are you certain about the result with the eye attached directly to the RF2 output? It's not sufficient just to cover up the IR receiver on the front panel of the Sky box - the entire panel needs to be closely covered with an opaque material of some kind, otherwise the IR radiation will leak through and give you a false result.

As the eye didn't work with the length of coax you tried, as well as the existing connection to the bedroom TV I suspect two possibilities: 1. the eye isn't compatible with a Sky+HD remote for some reason, or 2. the signal being sent back from the remote is getting lost en route (is the coax double screened?).

Regular Visitor
teakbank

Yes i realised i needed to screen the remote from the skybox infra red, i did this by reaching way behind the box so i couldnt change channel, then i moved the short fly lead off the magic eye & placed it against the remote which was then able to change channels etc on the main tv.

The co ax to the bedroom had supported a magic eye for the last 3 years, working with a Thompson sky+ box.

All i've done is upgrade to the new Sky+HD 2TB box to enable me to have On Demand.

I've checked the co ax connections to make sure i didnt disturb them when removing from boxes on swop out, theyre fine.

So to summerise it appears these new Sky+HD 2TB boxes DO NOT support magic eyes, they allow the tv signal on another tv but deny being able to remotely change channel back to the main box down a length of co ax....not impressed.

So i've gained On Demand but lost the ability to use/control it in the bedroom which was important to us.

There's no way i'm going to pay another £10 odd for multi room as i've just forked out for HD when i agreed to this new box.

On googling the problem there are many people who appear to have the same problems....at least i have a perfect picture (some don't). 

RebelDC

Hi,

I have exactly the same problem.  I recently upgraded my old SKY HD+ box to the new 2TB Box to allow for more storage as recording HD channels on the old HD box didnt leave us enough room.  I have double checked everything:

1. Checked that the leads are in RF2.

2. Checked that the signal is set to on and that there is power supplied to the TV Link in the bedroom and red LED light is on.

3. Switched the TV Link with a spare one I had to see if this had become faulty during the installation of the new 2TB box - nothing changed.

4. Reconnected the old TV Link that I have been using for the last 3 years.

5. Updated my new 2TB Sky Box and then swtiched everything off and then back on again.

Tried every known proposed solution over the course of the last 4 or 5 days that I have found on Google and tried them with no success.  Then I have found your post and am convinced that it is a problem with the new SKY 2TB box.  I have the picture working fine but cannot change the channel.  I am so dissapointed.  Will there be an update to fix the issue or am I stuck?

Can any SKY technician provide any advice?

Thanks

Frequent Contributor (Platinum)
Mouse38

I'm not affilliated to Sky or Satcure, but this page on Satcure's website helped me resolve simillar issues with my sister's TVlink not working after a box upgrade to a secondhand pace HD box.

http://www.satcure.co.uk/tech/tvlink2.htm

Note the comments about some link kits not working with some HD boxes. I swapped my sister's 'global' TVEye with a Triax unit and all was resolved. But before you go this far check all your coaxial connectors are intact and preferably soldered.

________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
These ideas are my own, I do not work for Sky. I have been a long term Sky User with extensive professional experience with AV equipment.
Sky DRX895 1TB, Sky Gnome, PlusNet Unlimited Fibre, Ethernet connected to box.
RebelDC

Hi Mouse,

Thanks for the advice.  I am not really sure what brand of TV Link I have but will take a closer look at the Triax unit and see if this works.  The coaxil connectors look fine on both ends but arent soldered?

I will keep you posted on how I get on and thanks again...

RebelDC

Hi Mouse,

Good news, I changed the brand of TV Link and my new 2TB worked!

Anyway, for anyone that has a similar issue, I have discovered the problem.  It was DEFINITELY a compatibility issue with the brand of TV Link.  My newly ordered 'Global' TV Link turned up today and I have just finished wiring it up and it works!  Am so pleased as have everything back to normal again now.

Please remember Antiference wont work with the new 2TB but Global definitley will.

Thanks

Occasional Visitor
Nattas

Hi Rebel,

I'm having the same issue with my magic eye but it says global on the unit.  Could you please send me the link to the tv eye you purchased so i make sure i'm buying the right one to replace this one.

Many thanks

Nattas

Occasional Visitor
Philip+Routledge

Just had Sky turn up to install new 2 TB box and non recordable box at one of my customer's house and ended up having to cancel the order. I have a Wolsey 12 way distribution box in the house currently running Sky HD and Sky plus perfectly through RF2 with R/C function. The non recordable box is now bereft of RF2 so no use. The 2TB box would not accept remote commands via the system despite RF2 being switched on. The Sky installer said he had 3 cancellations last week for same issue. He said that the new software disabled the function and thought that even older HD Sky + boxes would suffer same fate when updating software. He spoke to his tech team on the phone and so did I but they could shed no light on the subject! I have a friend who works for Sky in Tech issues so have asked him to find out for me. In the meantime I am going to buy an older box from E Bay.

Interesting that someone is finding that only Global work. Is that the remote eye or the distribution amplifier they are referring to I wonder. I remember in the past that Triax eyes could have some issues but have never had a problem with Sky pass distributors before. Pity that Sky engineers and indeed his tech team are not conversant in this matter. Sky engineer seemed to think that this was a deliberate ploy from Sky to ditch RF2 distribution permantley. Hmm, doesn't sound like a good idea to me, lots of unhappy cutomers I should think. Also wondering about my other customers with systems I've installed. Oh yes sir, no problem I'll just call the builders in to remove your marble floor for me to change the cabling. Ha Ha, don't think so.

Super User
Mark39

Well yes, I do agree that the RF output days are probably numbered - the SkyHD multiroom box is probably an indicator of that. Have you tried re-programming the Sky+HD remote to operate in Sky+ mode to see if this will work correctly via the TV link/magic eye? So far as I'm aware, you don't lose the ability to control HD box functionality by doing this.

Community Coordinator
HeraPierre

Hi Philip,

Has Mark39's help got your question answered?

Cheers,

Pete
Community Coordinator

Forum Help http://helpforum.sky.com/t5/help/faqpage

Sky Help Centre http://www.sky.com/help

New to the forum? Click here
Tagging your posts and others with relevant key words is another way to help,
it also counts towards forum rank.