Help
Help

Sky+HD, SkyHD & Sky 3D
Regular Visitor
WillMcC

New SKY+HD Wireless box. Installation problem?

[ Edited ]

I installed Sky's new Wireless Sky+ HD box and the very final instruction in the manual (page 17) says to check for the presence of the Sky Atlantic HD logo in the top corner of the screen on channel 108. When I check, the logo isn't there. The manual would have me believe my installation hasn't therefore been completely successfull but the telephon support person I spoke to said to ignore the manual. Any suggestions?

Stay Safe: Don't post any personal details or Sky account information. Plain text only in this box.
Super User
nsewell

Re: New SKY+HD Wireless box. Installation problem?

Are you sure, looking in this manual (http://storage.sky.com/help/DRX890W_SkyPlusHDUserGuide.pdf) I can't seem to find the bit about the Sky Atlantic HD logo.
Stay Safe: Don't post any personal details or Sky account information. Plain text only in this box.
Regular Visitor
WillMcC

Of course I'm sure.

Super User
nsewell

Can you find the instruction in the PDF version I linked to above. It's a strange instruction, although the verry first wifi boxes were sent out with the incorrect installation manual. Perhaps you have one of those.
Regular Visitor
WillMcC

The manual you linked to isn't the one I received with my new box. The box was only sent out last week too.

Super User
nsewell

I've been speaking to a friend and there was some instruction at some point to check channel 108 in the previous instructions before the wifi box was released.
He believes the purpose of which was to check that for hd subscribers the hd channel swap was taking place.
So instead of having Sky Atlantic SD on 108 you have Sky Atlantic HD.
There's a few problems with the instruction.
1) If you don't subscribe to HD but have a HD box then Sky Atlantic SD would still be on 108.
2) About 2 years ago sky changed it so that the channel logo on all sky owned channels only appears on screen for about 10 seconds after resuming from adverts.
However you can still check the hd channel swap is taking place by looking at the name next to channel 108 in the TV guide or by pressing select while on channel 108.

If your manual is different to the PDF one I linked to then the PDF version is the one to take notice of. The box was probably stored in a warehouse for a bit so is probably part of the initial order with incorrect manuals.
The best way to check would be to look in your manual and see if any of the diagrams show RF ports, if so then you have the wrong manual.
Regular Visitor
WillMcC

The manual I have is specific to the Sky+ HD Wireless box I have and contains instructions for connecting the box to a WiFi network so your friend has it wrong if he says the instruction pre-dates the release of the wireless box.

You are claiming that the installation manual is simply wrong then? There should be no Sky Atlantic HD symbol in the top corner of the screen? The SkySports channels don't have logos that disappear ten seconds after the adverts...

Retired Staff Member
Fraser-H

Hey WillMcC,

Thanks for taking the time to get in touch with us and hopefully we will be of some help.

Can you let me know if you currently subscribe to Sky HD and if you are able to view the HD channels in the correct location? That is to say that 106 will be Sky One HD.

If you can let me know whenever you can so we can try to get to the bottom of this.

Thanks 

Regular Visitor
Gordon+P

I suspect the manual is wrong. I received a new Sky+HD box a few days ago and I installed it today. As you correctly say, on page 17 it suggests that if everything is OK then channel 108 will display the Sky Atlantic HD logo. Well, I have followed the instructions and I think my box is correctly installed, but there is no Sky Atlantic HD logo on channel 108 - exactly as you describe. Also, the picture of the rear of the box on page 6 of the manual shows RF input/ouput sockets, but of course there none on my box. I know this is the latest manual because on page 23 it tells me that I need an I/O Link to operate my magic eyes. I think Sky have just rushed out an updated manual, and many a few errors.

On a separate issue, having obtained an I/O Link I have spent all day failing to get my magic eyes to work. They have worked perfectly for the last 12 years, but the latest technology seems to have beaten me. Do I need the new box or should I reinstall my old Thompson to keep my wife happy?

Gordon

Retired Staff Member
Fraser-H

Hey Gordon+P,

It's great that you have recently had your box upgraded and I hope that you are pleased with it since you have received it.

As you have mentioned that you seem to be having some trouble with the IO link you have received, can you let me know if you would be able to check that the magic eye continues to work, possibly through an alternative TV?

If you can let me know whenever you get a chance.

Thanks 

Regular Visitor
Gordon+P

I don't want to take this thread off topic, and the OP raised a question about the manual. I have put a magic link directly onto the output of the I/O Link and it lights up, so the issue must be with my amplified splitter. Manual still needs updating though :smileyhappy:

Retired Staff Member
Fraser-H

Hey Gordon+P,

Thanks for getting back to us.

I will certainly pass on your comments to the team responsible for this to see if there can be anything done about this as it is clearly causing more confusion than what is necessary.

If you have any other questions or queries you think we could help with please give us a shout.

Thanks 

Occasional Visitor
blin+bob

I have exactly the same issue.. been trying to notice the difference in picture. So no logo appearing. Come on sky, update the instructions!
Occasional Visitor
carolla59

i also have had problems with my new box with wireless built in no tv signal to my other tvs now as i had them all working off the one ariel feed  phoned sky and was told i would need to purchase something from them to rectify this £25 no less!! surely if this is a problem that sky have created with this box these bits of equipment should be sent out free after all i was never told that there would be problems with this new box!!!

Community Coordinator
amberw94

Hi Carolla59,

Thanks for joining us on forum.

I'm sorry to hear you were not aware of what changes to your set up the Wireless Sky+HD Box would cause. To proceed with the set up you will need to purchase a IO link.

You can purchase it here https://accessories.sky.com/

Thanks, 

Amber
Community Coordinator
Community Welcome, Hints & Tips
Sky Help Centre http://www.sky.com/help

New to the forum? Click here
Tagging your posts and others with relevant key words is another way to help,
it also counts towards forum rank.