Help
Help

Sky+HD Picture & Sound
Regular Visitor
Shogg

Display does not support HDCP Error

Hi, after an auto update to the Sky HD box, we have been receiving the above error and have to disconnect the HD cable and watch Sky in "normal vision". 

Have searched the forums and tried all the solutions on offer - switch off/reset/leave for a time - etc;etc to no avail. We have a Samsung HD TV and all was hunky dory until the update to the box. 

Have tried calling customer services, very friendly lady said her colleague would call me back as he knew more detail re this error - guess he forgot. :-(

Does anyone have any other ideas how to fix?

Thanks

S

Please do not post any personal details or account information. Please use plain text.
Staff (Retired)
GarryC

Re: Display does not support HDCP Error

Hi Shogg,

Are you getting this error on-screen all the time? Can you let me know if your HD box is connected direct to your TV via HDMI, or if you have any other devices included in your setup?

Thanks,

Please do not post any personal details or account information. Please use plain text.
Regular Visitor
Shogg

Hi Garry,

Thanks for your reply.

The Sky HD+ box is connected directly to the TV via HDMI. The error appears whenever the HDMI cable is connected to the box. Have tried different cables but just the same. 

Thanks 

Sarah

Community Coordinator
Anne-M

Hi Shogg,

Can you check the HD resolution output to see what setting it is on? If it is on AUTO, please change this to 1080i - you may need to try 720p if it is already on 1080i.

Here is how to change the setting:

•Press services, Options displays.
•Press right arrow to highlight Settings and press select. Picture displays.
•Press select Picture menu displays.
•Press down arrow to highlight HD Resolution Output.
•Press left or right arrow to change setting to Auto, 576, 720p or 1080i and press select.
•(OSM): “You are about to change the output resolution. If a blank screen appears, wait 10 seconds or press Back Up to return to Picture Settings” displays, Press select
•(OSM): “Output resolution changed. Continue to picture settings and then save” displays, Press select.
•Press green to save.
•Press sky to return to normal viewing.

Please let me know how you get on.

Thanks,

Anne
Community Coordinator
Community Welcome, Hints & Tips
Sky Help Centre http://www.sky.com/help

New to the forum? Click here
Tagging your posts and others with relevant key words is another way to help,
it also counts towards forum rank.
Regular Visitor
Shogg

Hi Anne,

Many thanks for your reply. I followed your instructions - the setting was on automatic so I chaanged it to 1080i, unfortunately the same error appears.

Thanks

Sarah 

Occasional Visitor
Bigmans

Hi there, I know this is an old post have recently had sky Hd installed after only 5 hours of being installed got this message. Left it over night and it went, I have no got the message a month later but this time it wont go. Any help i dont have a scart lead to change it to so cant access anything 

Staff (Retired)
Fraser-H

Hi Bigmans,

Thank you for taking the time to join the Sky Help Forum and welcome to our community. 

I am sorry to read that this problem has happened as of late and you are unable to have this rectified. What type of box do you have? Is it connected straight into the TV?

Thanks

Regular Visitor
almufasa

Yesterday I started getting the same error...

"This display does not support HDCP.

Please disconnect your HDMI connection".

and Sky doesn't display.

I'm disappointed Sky are not able to understand and fix this quickly.

Steve

Regular Visitor
almufasa

I found this and followed the HDCP reset procedure to the letter but I still get the same problem.

http://www.skyeurope.tv/this-display-does-not-support-hdcp

Come on Sky, help please.

Regular Visitor
almufasa

[ Edited ]
Community Coordinator
HeraPierre

[ Edited ]

Hi almufasa,

Thank you for taking the time to post on the Forum.

HDCP means High Bandwidth Digital Content Protection. This sends a signal from the Sky box to the TV through the HDMI cable. Viewing may be affected if the signal fails.

The possible causes that can cause this error can include:

• A HDCP compatibility issue with the TV
  • The HDMI Cable is not communicating correctly with the TV
  • The HDMI cable or TV input connection is faulty
  • Out of date software on your TV.

We are in the process of getting this resolved, but in the mean time there are a few steps that you can carry out at home to try and resolve the issue.

The first thing that you can try is resetting the HDMI signal by doing the following:
(it would be worth rooting out the manual for your TV to check that is is HDCP compatible)

Using the Sky remote:

1.     Press Standby on the Sky remote. Standby light displays.
  2.     Switch off the power supply or remove the plug at the mains socket.
  3.     Switch connected equipment to standby and disconnect at the mains socket.
  4.     Confirm no lights remain on the Sky box or any connected equipment.
  5.     Wait 60 seconds, then switch the TV on at mains socket.
  6.     Switch the TV to the correct HDMI or DVI input.
  7.     Switch the Sky box on at the mains socket.
  8.     Wait 2 - 4 minutes after the standby light displays.
  9.     Switch on all connected equipment at the mains socket.
  10.     Press Sky to switch on the Sky box. The green light displays.

If this doesn't work, then if you can please try another HDMI cable to see if that is causing the issue and just have your Sky Box connected to your TV (remove devices such as Home Cinemas Systms etc) To make sure that this isn't an issue with your TV, try connecting other devices by HMDI such as a blu-ray player to see if you can view the picture.

Finally, please can you ensure that your TV has the most up to date software? (if this is applicable to you)

As a final alternative, you can try connecting your Sky Box with a scart cable if you are constantly seeing this message. The only downside of this will be that it will effect your HD viewing.

Please let the team know how you get on and confirm if this helped you.

Thanks,

Pete
Community Coordinator

Forum Help http://helpforum.sky.com/t5/help/faqpage

Regular Visitor
almufasa

Thanks for your post. The thing I don't understand is what has changed. My Sky box was playing fine through HDMI connection to my tv up until about a week ago and then I started getting the error. I've not changed any of the tv, HDMI cable or Sky box or any of the settings in any of the components so what could it be?

I have for now switched to a SCART connection and all works fine but obviously I don't get to view HD channels in HD.

I tried the reset procedure you set out previously but it had no effect, still got the error. I might try a different HDMI cable and see if that helps. Is it possible though that the existing HDMI cable suddenly developed a fault? Seems unlikely?

Thanks again for your help.

Steve

Regular Visitor
Shogg

Hi all,

As poster of the original issue, I just wanted to add that we are still unable to view in HD mode and have had to resort to using the SCART cable. We have tried out all the suggestions posted as possible solutions and have tried another HD cable but to no avail! We are able to watch TV in HD mode via other devices using the same HD cable. The problem, very obviously to me, lies within the SKY HD box and/or the software within.

It would be nice to be able to resolve this after all this time. I might as well cancel the HD subscription as I am really paying for nothing.

C'mon SKY... dig a little deeper!!

Sarah

Staff
John-B

Hey Shogg,

As Pete has said above,

The possible causes that can cause this error can include:

•     A HDCP compatibility issue with the TV
  •     The HDMI Cable is not communicating correctly with the TV
  •     The HDMI cable or TV input connection is faulty

How many HDMI ports do you have on your TV?

I know you have said you have tried another HDMI cable, however is it possible to try your box and cable on a different TV, just to see if you are still having the same issue?

If you can let me know once you get a chance.

Cheers

John-B
Community Coordinator
Community Welcome, Hints & Tips

Contributor
hulahoop09

We have had sky since 2011, same box, same tv and cables etc. We had this error a couple of times last year but this past week we have had way too many for my liking! Keeps coming up when watching any channel and also recordings. Driving me insane. We only have the one hdmi port and I have tried disconnecting etc but it hasnt helped. Not happy at all!!