Help
Help

Sky Go on XBOX 360
CraigUKGamer

Sky Go on XBOX now being charged?????

[ Edited ]

Hello everyone, new user to these forums and looking for somewhere to voice my annoyance at Sky.

I received a letter this morning from Sky telling me that as of 29 July I will not be able to watch Sky Go via the Sky app on my Xbox 360, unless I upgrade to Sky Go Extra at an initial £2.50 a month and then £5 a month after that.

As someone who watches many of my favourite Sky TV shows through my XBOX 360, a massive conveneince when the family are watching Sky via the main televisiion in my household ... losing this would be a genuine shame.  However as I already pay enough for my subsuicription, which includes the HD channels etc as well as also paying for Sky Protect ... I have no intention of paying even MORE for a service I previously got as an optional extra within my existing Sky package ... an optional extra I used quite a bit.

I think it is absolutely disgusting that as an Xbox owner I feel I am being penalised for having this app and using it.  This also isn't the case if I wish to watch Sky Go on a mobile phone, a tablet or a computer... so why not the Xbox????  Anything to do with Microsoft changing their policy where you don't need Xbox Live Gold to access the various TV related apps???  Hmm.  Suffice to say I think it's rather bad of Sky to even do this and offer me this upgrade at an intial saving in their usual 'but don't worry, all you have to do is ... give us more money!!' wording.  So on principle alone, I'd rather lose that privilage than support this ridiculous change in their otherwise very good service.

Behaviour like this, them changing how they do things, at the cost of the customer could easily lead me to cancelling my Sky account entirely in the future.

A very annoyed and disgruntled, previouysly very happy Sky customer.

Stay Safe: Don't post any personal details or Sky account information. Plain text only in this box.
Super User
rscott

Re: Sky Go on XBOX now being charged?????

Are you sure they're not offering you Sky Go Extra ?
Stay Safe: Don't post any personal details or Sky account information. Plain text only in this box.
CraigUKGamer

[ Edited ]

Hi,

That is exactly what they are doing, but saying that using the Xbox 360 Sky app is going to be ONLY part of Sky Go Extra, and will no longer be available as part of Sky Go... hence the extra cost if I want to keep using it.

...actual wording on the letter:  'we wanted to let you know that from 29 July you'll no longer be able to access Sky Go using your Sky Go compatible games console.  But don't worry, you'll still be able to access Sky Go on your games console after this date if you sign up for Sky Go Extra.'

Super User
Annie+UK

This is a new policy being introduced, those with multiscreen already have access to SGE but those without are being gived a 6 month half price deal.

Annie.......... Xbox Gamertag: Annie UK      Sky Help - YouTube channel

Sky customer since 1989 - βeta tester for: Xbox One, Windows Phone, Sky+HD etc... Hardware: DRX890 to LG 32LV550T, DRX895 to LG 42LV550T, Lumia 1520, Xbox One, Dell XPS18, iPad Occupation: Senior Analyst/Programmer

If someone helps you please click the thumbs up icon and/or accept as a solution, in the post options, where appropriate. Thanks.
CraigUKGamer

[ Edited ]

I'm sorry, but that is neither here nor there.  The fact that its available to sky multi screen customers only means that sky have taken a quick look and thought - 'how else can we get more money out of these customers who don't have sky multi screen or sky go extra???'  It's almost black mail!  This was a free service, and so I will not be paying for something I normally got for free.  Sky is not a cheap service anyway and this just makes that 'believe in better' phrase even less relevant.

But most of all it makes absolutely no sense whatsoever when Sky Go is available to use at no extra cost on mobiles, tablets and PCs.  

Super User
Annie+UK

I agree, this is not the first time a free service has been taken away, Box Sets in OnDemand is another example. It does look like the bean counters are looking at every trick to milk customers :smileymad:

Annie.......... Xbox Gamertag: Annie UK      Sky Help - YouTube channel

Sky customer since 1989 - βeta tester for: Xbox One, Windows Phone, Sky+HD etc... Hardware: DRX890 to LG 32LV550T, DRX895 to LG 42LV550T, Lumia 1520, Xbox One, Dell XPS18, iPad Occupation: Senior Analyst/Programmer

If someone helps you please click the thumbs up icon and/or accept as a solution, in the post options, where appropriate. Thanks.
Occasional Visitor
t-hom-as

Couldn't agree more, I got the letter myself today. Ridiculous. I'm considering cancelling my Sky subscription completely - pay £47/month for TV & sports and still they want to extort more. Don't they realise there are numerous competing platforms that their customers can 'cut the cord' and move to?
Occasional Visitor
fatto79

Got the same letter today. What an absolute joke. Sky is expensive enough without this extra cost. Think im just gonna bite the bullet and cancel my whole sky package, broadband and line rental.
Occasional Visitor
Crossy1986

First no Xbox One or Windows 8 support now this

Visitor
fishywishy

In all honesty, I can completely understand why they would make this change. Xbox is the only way to legally stream Sky to a TV screen (effectively giving Sky subscribers multi-room at no extra cost) and I know a fair number of people who use this and don't subscribe to Sky themselves. Sky must lose a lot of money on this.

Sure, it's annoying to no longer get something for free that once was. But it probably should never have been free anyway. Don't be surprised when BT start doing something similar with thier streaming service.

Contributor
BaronVonBarrett

[ Edited ]

I too received the letter and it's pretty <REMOVED> annoying. Why Sky are taking consoles out of this deal is unknown. I can still hook my PC up to a large monitor/TV on Sky Go, so why not a console?

Time for Sky to be open and honest about the policy change. The "half-price" Sky Go Extra is absolutely no consolation.

• Moderated: Removed inappropriate language
Occasional Visitor
mickaldinho

Absolute joke I will be leaving after my first year.
Occasional Visitor
Pantsu

[ Edited ]

Well, my 12 months is up on August 18th and I was contemplating leaving my TV with Sky (switching to Virgin for 152Mb broadband and Vonage for £6/month unlimited UK landline calls) but with this news, I'll happily cancel and let my TV service roll over to Freesat without regret. Thanks, Sky, for the free 2TB drive that's going in my PCH-A400. Sopcast, Torrentstream, etc will fill the live sports gap. Ce la vie.

Occasional Visitor
systemsguy

believe in better? So they want how much extra for something that was free? Why not get multi room for double the amount... Luckily I already have Virgin phone and broadband and to switch would not be much effort...
Occasional Visitor
Pickles91

[ Edited ]

What a <REMOVED> joke sky just want more and more, i pay £50 a month for basically a load of repeats and now they want even more money to watch it on my xbox. Sky you really know how to trat your customers! cannot wait for the day i can get vigins box and not feel like im being completly ripped off by you money grabing <REMOVED>.

• Moderated: Removed inappropriate language