Help
Help

Sky Go Discussions
Stuza

SkyGo - Windows 8? *SOLVED*

[ Edited ]

Hey guys

Is/has anyone else out there got SkyGo to work on Windows 8?  I get as far as upgrading security components etc but thats it.  SkyGo doesn't attempt to register the device either :smileysad:

I've tried all the usual stuff, cleaning off Silverlight, Firefox, IE, downloading the "old" version 5.0.61118, turning off version upgrades, but none of it works for me.  I REALLY want to crack this before the cricket starts or i'll have wasted £40 and more importantly, I'll miss out on 2 days of fun!

Any ideas?

Thanks!!!

Please do not post any personal details or account information. Please use plain text.
Stuza

Re: SkyGo - Windows 8? *SOLVED*

After posting this I suddenly had a brainwave (my one for the year! Took its time!)

I set Firefox to run as Windows 7 app AND run as Administrator.... it now plays!  Thats also after installing the latest Silverlight using IE 10.

I know Firefox as Administrator is a BAD idea BUT, as long as I use it ONLY for SkyGo, should be ok, right?  I'll stick to IE10 for everything else.

Hope that helps you fellow touchscreeners!

Please do not post any personal details or account information. Please use plain text.
Occasional Visitor
sam.saidi

[Cross posted from similar thread]

OK so this works without needing to install another browser:

-Navigate to your program of choice

-Once connected click the 'popup' window icon

-In the pop-up box (which has no video and sound) press F12. Then change the browser mode to "IE9". Then press F12 again.

You have to do it each time unfortunately but it is a quick solution for now

Thanks

Sam

Occasional Visitor
heavyend81

Thanks Sam.saidi I was pulling my hair out this solution works fine (I had to re-register the same pc though just so other are aware)
srwcricket

Does this also work for Windows 8 smart phones?
Regular Visitor
Verner

Many thanks for that Stuza. Still pretty unbelievable that you/we have to do this to get a service which like Apple and Android owners do instantly. Still now Windows Phone 8 support either.......ridiculous IMHO.
Occasional Visitor
renospurs

Sky please come on and sort Windows Phone 8 and Windows 8 app, I will be cancelling soon otherwise as my kids monopolise the TV....
Occasional Visitor
mw-sky

I would love to see a Windows RT app too. Currently I cant use my surface for Sky but am using it for netflix.

Occasional Visitor
CLIMAZZ

PLEASE CONFIRM HOW I 'RUN FIREFOX AS WINDOWS 7 APP AND RUN AS ADMINISTRATOR' SORRY FOR BEING DIM

Occasional Visitor
CLIMAZZ

HI. WHEN I CLICK F12 IN THE POP UP BOX (WHERE THE VIDEO SHOULD BE PLAYING?) NOTHING HAPPENS AT ALL - WHEN THE VIDEO FAILS IGET AN ERROR MESSAGE WITH A GREY BACKGROUND t6038 c4110 - ANY HELP APPRECIATED

Occasional Visitor
BR0WNI3

To run a program as administrator on windows 7/8 you right click the icon on the desktop (firefox.exe for example) and in the dialog box click run as adminstarator, or alternatively you can right click it choose properties click security/compatability and at the bottom there is a checkbox for run as admin so you dont have to right click it everytime

i hope this helps :smileyhappy:

Occasional Visitor
salford1969

Thanks sam just done that and it works.

Occasional Visitor
fancyabrew

[ Edited ]

+1 for RT support but just geting win8 support would be a start.  It is becoming very tiresome now that Win8, win8 RT or win8 phone are not supported.  Yet others 4OD, channel 5 and TVCachup work fine (4OD works on win8 and RT, and TVcatchup works on every MS platform) if a small outfit like TVCatchup can develop a cross platform app what the hell are a company the size of Sky doing!?  Sky seem to be from the same media lovey stable as the BBC and think the World <REMOVED>

Edited: Removed inappropriate/unfounded allegation

Occasional Visitor
jason179

Hi just thought i would let people know i am running windows 8 and using internet explorer and have the same issue however just press the F5 key to refresh the page and all works fine hope this will help some others:smileytongue:

Occasional Visitor
Dickie+Ticker

I would just like to add that it's no so much a Windows 8 issue but that SkyGo Desktop isn't fully compatible with IE 10, which all you Windows 8 users will have pre-installed.

IE 10 has just been released for Windows 7 and guess what, the pop out window no longer works correctly anymore.

As Sam said, just F12 on the pop out and change compatibility to IE 9 or IE 10 compatibility mode.