Sky Go - Error Code: 9903 on MacBook Pro (New Sky Go App)

Answered
Go to Answer
Boom Operator
Post 46 of 98

Re: Sky Go - Error Code: 9903 on MacBook Pro (New Sky Go App)

I was also forced to download this useless app last night. I don't have any video capture software, it doesn't matter what processes I stop running the app still does not work. I've spoken with customer services who told me to unistall and reinstall. All this did was waste some of my time and the problem still exists. I hate having to pay for things that don't work. I think my next step is to call and ask for a refund for loss of service. Why don't people follow the old rule of "If it ain't broke don't fix it!".

Boom Operator
Post 47 of 98

Okay don't know if this will help all but after two weeks of trying different things I got it working (no thanks to sky support who were less than useless)

So I started in Safe boot mode (hit restart, hold down SHIFT key and let go once you see the Apple Icon) You will see "Safe boot" in red in top right of the screen as it starts up.

Go into Applications folder in fiinder and delete ANYTHING you feel might have anything to do with capturing video or screenshots - I deleted, for instance, Hide My @rse, Real Player, Join Me video conferencing, 5k Video player, a couple of remote desktop apps, Flip Video etc. Basical,ly anything that might cause a problem. My thinking, if it works I can always reinstall them one by one to see if it breaks Sky (which I use every day). One thing I did realise is I had a lot of crap I hardly or never use anyway, so good clean up exercise.

Then go to Sky go website and download and install the new Sky Go App. Open it, run a catch up programe (video will be choppy or just be a still as a lot of things that need to help video probably didn't load in safe mode)  but you should NOT get the error 9903 and it is actually working you just can't see the video. Maybe move the programme to halfway through so you know it's actually running. Again you won't see much but the slider will show the programme is halfway through.

Now reboot the machine (probably opens a lot quicker as all the rubbish that was opening before is now deleted:-)

Go into downloads and move your Sky app into the applications folder (if it isn't there already, not always is for some reason?)

Open Applications - Start Sky Go - Start a catch up programme (probably asked to sign in) and Bingo it works (well at least it did for me! Good Luck.

Sorry this was so long, wanted to be clear. Please post if it works for you (following every step in order)  and also if i didn't work.

To be honest I don't know if it was booting and installing Sky Go App in Safe Boot or all the crap I removed or a combination of both. But I think doing it ALL is good for your Mac clean up anyway, and the whole process took 20 mins or so. so give it a go!

Cheers John.

Boom Operator
Post 48 of 98

Wow!  What a detailed explanation of the process you followed to get it working.... thanks for that, really interesting. I'm not going to follow it though, because none of us should have to boot into safe mode, and go through everything else you have, just to get a damned app working..... If Sky can't release a piece of software that just works "out of the box", then maybe they should just give up and stop trying to pretend they're a world class broadcaster.....

I believe the issue is centred around the Ciscovideoguard software, which is launched as a part of the app, but as no-one from Sky seems to be bothered about it, I guess we'll never know.....

Thanks again John!

Boom Operator
Post 49 of 98

I tend to agree with RSTC428 here. 

We shouldn't have to go through such a process to get a faulty app to work, it should be up to the app developer to fix it or remove it. 

I found mention elsewhere that it could be a fault caused by Microsoft Silverlight and to uninstall that plugin. I've done that, but no change. I'm still waiting for a call back from level 2 tech support. Will let you know what response I get.

Runner
Post 50 of 98

Try to quit Quick Time

Boom Operator
Post 51 of 98

I've spoken to Sky again finally. They are now insistent that there is no fault with their app and I must be running video recording software. They made me feel as if I was some kind of pirate video merchant. I asured them that at no time had I ever knowingly installed any such software. They said there was nothing further they could do and to take it up with Apple support. After speaking with Apple I have now found out that under iOS 10.6 Quicktime had a screen recording option added. So this may be the cause of this error code, however, as Quicktime is part of Apple OS it cannot be deleted. So I think I have come to the end of the road here. Its strange though, that I have since found out that the app works on my daughters MacBook Pro which is a year newer than mine and running the same OS. 

Boom Operator
Post 52 of 98

But i

@ExVirgin666 wrote:

I've spoken to Sky again finally. They are now insistent that there is no fault with their app and I must be running video recording software. They made me feel as if I was some kind of pirate video merchant. I asured them that at no time had I ever knowingly installed any such software. They said there was nothing further they could do and to take it up with Apple support. After speaking with Apple I have now found out that under iOS 10.6 Quicktime had a screen recording option added. So this may be the cause of this error code, however, as Quicktime is part of Apple OS it cannot be deleted. So I think I have come to the end of the road here. Its strange though, that I have since found out that the app works on my daughters MacBook Pro which is a year newer than mine and running the same OS. 

But if you can "disable"quicktime from running when you run the Sky App? Have you tried that?

Runner
Post 53 of 98

You just need to close quicktime, I mentioned on a reply further up the chain that even if you have it open playing audio OR just sat open in the dock, the Sky app will think you're trying to record the screen.

you can check what items are loading upon start up by going to system preferences - users & groups - login items, remove anything to do with quicktime & itunes. You can also go to Applications - utilities - activity monitor, have a look for quicktime in there (or search for it), once you've closed the app, restart the Sky app & it will work.

Boom Operator
Post 54 of 98

I have tried quitting everything that could possibly have a video capture element to it. I don't have Quicktime running, I closed down itunes, and have effectively been trying to run the Sky Go app on its' own, but it still doesn't work.

I think it is too easy and disingenuous for Sky support to just say "it's not our app".. I am personally going to give up on this piece of junk software, and frankly, if Sky can't take this seriously enough to even offer to investigate it, then maybe I don't need their other services either.....

This is NOT what Customer Service is about......

Boom Operator
Post 55 of 98

I haven't tried that. I've googled how to disable quicktime from running and could only find options for a windows PC. I've no idea how to disable quicktime on a Mac.

Boom Operator
Post 56 of 98

I can't close Quicktime if its not running. It's not sitting in the dock. I've checked login items and neither Quicktime or iTunes are listed. I've looked in activity monitor and found an instance of quicktime there so I closed it but the Sky Go app still comes up with the error.

Boom Operator
Post 57 of 98

After speaking with Apple support I have found a workaround that works for me for now.

While carrying out some testing and diagnostics we created a second user account as a test. We named it Test and then went on to use test for all the other fields and then created the account. As the account created we bypassed all the set up steps, no apple id, no siri etc and just ran on that basic log in. We went to the sky go website to download the app and to my surprise it downloaded the old web based player which worked fantastic. I'm going to keep this second user account just for watching sky and not mess with anything more in my main log in. I'll come back and let you know if anything changes, fingers crossed.

Oracle
Post 58 of 98

@ExVirgin666 wrote:

After speaking with Apple support I have found a workaround that works for me for now.

While carrying out some testing and diagnostics we created a second user account as a test. We named it Test and then went on to use test for all the other fields and then created the account. As the account created we bypassed all the set up steps, no apple id, no siri etc and just ran on that basic log in. We went to the sky go website to download the app and to my surprise it downloaded the old web based player which worked fantastic. I'm going to keep this second user account just for watching sky and not mess with anything more in my main log in. I'll come back and let you know if anything changes, fingers crossed.

That's not going to be much use at all very soon. The old web based player is going away completely in the extremely near future.

Runner
Post 59 of 98

Thanks for posting.

I had snipping tool open too to cause this error.

Runner
Post 60 of 98

I'm having the same issue - there's been issue after issue with with this new release. I work away from home and expect to be provided a decent service for what i have been paying. 

Recommended Threads
11-04-2018 05:39 PM
27-04-2018 01:07 PM
18-03-2018 02:25 PM
02-04-2018 11:08 PM
24-04-2018 08:32 PM