New Windows desktop app... Stutter

Sound Designer
Post 166 of 194

Re: New Windows desktop app... Stutter

@Sean1968 wrote:

This is ridiculous. I’ve tried everything. Worked perfect with IE and silver light. The new app should be embarrassing for Sky. I’ve tried stopping windows defender, I’ve tried setting the app to high priority. If anything the latter made it worse. Luckily for me my contract is up in a few months and I can promise Sky this.... I will not be renewing it. I take offence to being pretty much ordered to use the substandard app. We should have at least had the option of using IE aswell. A complete shambles Sky. Get it sorted out

I agree. According to the Sky site you need two cores running at 2.1GHz , which is quite a lick..2 GB DRAM and 1GB video DRAM and a graphics card running at a clock speed of 600 MHz with a 5Megapixel fill rate. Most of the specs of computers I've seen mentioned on here are way, way in excess of that but it does prompt one quick observation.

One of the most most common graphics cards in use (mainly because of mobile use) is the 'built-in' Intel 600 series HD type. Now the Pixel fill rate on that is nearly 1,000 Megapixels/second..or about 200 times that specificed  but it's core clock speed is usually only 300MHz  or so with a boost mode up to 1GHz (for power  saving and of course to keep heat down) . .and that is half what is specified. So Sky ..or Cisco..seem to have seta spec that most mobile devices won't meet without serious battery depletion (if ithe GPU will boost to 600 MHz) and serious extra hear dissipation.

It's frankly a ridiculous spec for primarily mobile devices.

Runner
Post 167 of 194

Unfortunately, this is what happens when you have a monopoly. Sky know that they won't lose customers because of this, so they don't care.

By 2080, when Apple, Alphabet and Amazon own everything, i shudder to think what it will be like then 

Sound Designer
Post 168 of 194

@mansamusa wrote:

Unfortunately, this is what happens when you have a monopoly. Sky know that they won't lose customers because of this, so they don't care.

By 2080, when Apple, Alphabet and Amazon own everything, i shudder to think what it will be like then 

In the short-term I agree, in the medum term someone will come to 'eat Sky's lunch' as they say with new technology available to all and they will be left with no customer loyalty, no advantage and a poor legacy that they will come to regret bitterly. It's happened many times before and it will happen again.

Runner
Post 169 of 194

Imagine what it'll be like in the year 2080 when Sky eventually finds a fix for Sky Go Player. 

Sound Designer
Post 170 of 194

An optimist!

Sound Designer
Post 171 of 194

@Spot+kick wrote:

Imagine what it'll be like in the year 2080 when Sky eventually finds a fix for Sky Go Player. 

The Sky Go player for Windows is working on my laptop no problem. I don't know what's wrong woth your computer, but it works here. I'm using WIndows 10 Home 64-bit.

Researcher
Post 172 of 194

Thats helpful...thank you

@JonW42 wrote:

@Spot+kick wrote:

The Sky Go player for Windows is working on my laptop no problem. I don't know what's wrong woth your computer, but it works here. I'm using WIndows 10 Home 64-bit.

Researcher
Post 173 of 194

After suffering this issue sveral days ago and not being able to watch anything on either of the three laptops we have in our household, I wrote a letter to the complaints department detailing the issue and outlining the compains on here and other forums about this issue. 

I have now been contacted by Sky who wish to run through this with me and a support engineer when I am available which won't now be until Thursday evening.

I suspect I will just go back over the same step as before but I will report back any progress and document the steps.

Managing Editor
Post 174 of 194

@JonW42 wrote:

@Spot+kick wrote:

@JonW42

Being glib isn't a nice trait. Dilly Dilly.

It is what it is.
Runner
Post 175 of 194

Hi, I have half a solution which appears to solve the audio stuttering but video is a bit choppy still.  I have set the process priority of videoguard from normal to above normal.   My audio is now fine, no stuttering or echo but as I said the video can be a bit choppy. 

I'd be interested to see if this helps others.   You could try setting it to below normal as well, see if that works if the above normal doesn't.

I haven't messed around with trying to set this permanently.

Highlighted
Sound Designer
Post 176 of 194

@Morgan+McDonnell wrote:

@JonW42 wrote:

@Spot+kick wrote:

@JonW42

@Morgan+McDonnell wrote:

@JonW42 wrote:

@Spot+kick wrote:

@JonW42

Quoting an annoying beer advert is not going to make your point at all.

Anyway, Sky Go does work here on my laptop. I don't have Cisco Video Guard Monitor  running at start so Sky Go runs it when it runs. Also, when I exit Sky Go, I stop the Cisco process. I don't know if this is what's causing Sky Go to work, but it is working. Give it a try and see if it works for you. In fact, anyone else give it a go and see what happens.

Researcher
Post 177 of 194

@JonW42

Anyway, Sky Go does work here on my laptop. I don't have Cisco Video Guard Monitor  running at start so Sky Go runs it when it runs. Also, when I exit Sky Go, I stop the Cisco process. I don't know if this is what's causing Sky Go to work, but it is working. Give it a try and see if it works for you. In fact, anyone else give it a go and see what happens.

Read the thread. Many of us have already tried this fix and have not seen any improvement. There's no need to be snippy just because yours is running fine.

Managing Editor
Post 178 of 194

@JonW42 wrote:

@JonW42

@JonW42

It is an annoying advert which I felt made my point absolutely.   You just missed my point is all Smiley Very Happy

It is what it is.
Managing Editor
Post 179 of 194

I do hope I'm not going to regret this by speaking too early but................................ there I was sat twiddling my thumbs avoiding gardening jobs when I thought "I know, I'll re-install Sgo Go app on my Win10 64bit desktop PC for the umpteenth time just for a laugh. You know just for toilets and giggles and see what happens".   Well blow me down if straight after installing and firing it up I'm watching whatever I want in brilliant picture quality without stutters, jerks, coughs, spits or any other problem!  I know, my gast is utterly flabbered Smiley Very Happy

All I did was download the app from here:

https://www.sky.com/watch/sky-go/windows

After having ensured I had carried out again all the usual guff of deleting all the Sky folders to include Cisco and Videoguard as previously discussed.  The only difference this time was, and I've no idea just how crucial this step is or might be unless I test again without doing this (will leave that to somebody else I reckon).  Before starting the Sky Go app I opened task manager (right click on the task bar at bottom of screen or press Ctrl + Alt and Delete).  In the running processes column on left side I see that Cisco Videogauard is running. I highlighted this and pressed 'End Task' to close it down.  Then open Sky Go app by double clicking, log in, select a programme, play and............................... after about 5 seconds of dodgy PQ it clears and .....................Robert is my fathers brother!! Smiley Very Happy

Changed the channel a few times with the same result i.e. a few seconds of dodgy PQ then in you go!

I will report back later if anything changes but if like me you happen to have a few spare minutes and little enough hair to tear out anymore you might want to give it another go.  Make sure to go through the full deletion processes including any previously downloaded Sky Go app downloaded installers, Sky Go and Sky folders and Cisco folders all in your User > app data folders.  Reboot computer and try.

As said though pretty much the only thing I did differently was stopping Cisco Vedeoguard from running in Task Manager.  When I checked the Task Manager whilst I had Sky Go running and watching it appears Videoguard did NOT restart!  It certainly was NOT showing in the running processes column of Task Manager.

I wish you all luck and keep my fingers crossed for myself as well Smiley Frustrated

It is what it is.
Researcher
Post 180 of 194

M+M Great news I have a question

I use revo unistall seems to capture everything when un-installing app does Cisco VG get un-installed as well as I  dont see where else I can uninstall Cisco VG

Recommended Threads
Oracle 09-02-2018 06:54 PM
Oracle a month ago 12:19 AM
Oracle 01-01-2018 09:58 AM
Oracle 05-02-2018 04:18 PM
20-01-2018 05:19 PM