Discussion topic: Remote buttons sticking

This message was authored by P-swag This message was authored by: P-swag

Remote buttons sticking

Hi, I'm having trouble with the "tv guide", "select" and down arrow buttons where they don't work unless I hold them down for a few seconds. Any idea how to fix this as it's getting really aggravating!!!

thanks in advance

Best Answers
This message was authored by TheJoeShow This message was authored by: TheJoeShow Answer

Re: Remote buttons sticking

Hi, I know this is an old post and you’ve probably bought a new remote or found a fix for this problem! I found this post as I had the same problems with my remote.

What I’ve read elsewhere has brought me back here to post this solution as it worked so well for me. My select, 9,0 & rwd buttons were all sticking and I was having to push in really hard to get any response from the remote and most of the time none at all!

The problem is that the silicone keypad contains oil, this is supposed to be baked out of the keypad in the factory but due to cost and time is often overlooked (additionally this is the reason the numbers etc fade on the keypad, if baked they last far longer) This means that years later, after gradual seepage of oil out of the silicone keypad a layer of oil/grease forms on both the back of keypad and the circuit board preventing some buttons from working correctly! For more detailed info see this site

http://www.michaelshell.org/gadgetsandfixes/keypadsiliconeoil.html

I followed these instructions and opened up my Sky+HD remote, this was easy. Remove batteries, unscrew the single screw behind batteries and then prise open with thin knife/screwdriver. Inside my remote was very dirty having never been opened after years of use. When I took the keypad away I could see a visible layer of oily residue on both keypad and circuit board. I washed both using an old toothbrush in warm soapy water and left to dry. When dry, the keypad looked fine but the circuit board still looked greasy in places. I then used an eraser and rubbed it on those tough spots and they came up cleaner nearly straight away. This also helped dry off the circuit board. I then carefully wiped away any excess pieces of eraser that remained. Once this was done and the silicone keypad was dry, I put the pieces back together, inserted the batteries and wow it’s like a new remote control, I can’t believe it. From start to finish it took me about 30 mins to fix this problem that’s been bugging me for weeks if not longer. Well worth the effort in my opinion.

Hope this helps anybody else who stumbles upon here like I did today!

View this Answer within the discussion

This discussion has been locked

Sorry, you can't reply to this discussion as it's been locked by our Community Managers.

All Replies

This message was authored by Nikonian87 This message was authored by: Nikonian87

Sorry if this sounds condescending but have you tried changing the batteries?

This message was authored by TheJoeShow This message was authored by: TheJoeShow Answer

Hi, I know this is an old post and you’ve probably bought a new remote or found a fix for this problem! I found this post as I had the same problems with my remote.

What I’ve read elsewhere has brought me back here to post this solution as it worked so well for me. My select, 9,0 & rwd buttons were all sticking and I was having to push in really hard to get any response from the remote and most of the time none at all!

The problem is that the silicone keypad contains oil, this is supposed to be baked out of the keypad in the factory but due to cost and time is often overlooked (additionally this is the reason the numbers etc fade on the keypad, if baked they last far longer) This means that years later, after gradual seepage of oil out of the silicone keypad a layer of oil/grease forms on both the back of keypad and the circuit board preventing some buttons from working correctly! For more detailed info see this site

I followed these instructions and opened up my Sky+HD remote, this was easy. Remove batteries, unscrew the single screw behind batteries and then prise open with thin knife/screwdriver. Inside my remote was very dirty having never been opened after years of use. When I took the keypad away I could see a visible layer of oily residue on both keypad and circuit board. I washed both using an old toothbrush in warm soapy water and left to dry. When dry, the keypad looked fine but the circuit board still looked greasy in places. I then used an eraser and rubbed it on those tough spots and they came up cleaner nearly straight away. This also helped dry off the circuit board. I then carefully wiped away any excess pieces of eraser that remained. Once this was done and the silicone keypad was dry, I put the pieces back together, inserted the batteries and wow it’s like a new remote control, I can’t believe it. From start to finish it took me about 30 mins to fix this problem that’s been bugging me for weeks if not longer. Well worth the effort in my opinion.

Hope this helps anybody else who stumbles upon here like I did today!

This message was authored by Gordo12 This message was authored by: Gordo12

Fantastic answer. Had an unresponsive select button and found the same oily residue. Not sure about the soap and water, just cleaned it off both the rubber keypad and the circuit board with a tissue, remote good as new.

This message was authored by jehscot This message was authored by: jehscot

Thanks  for that buttons working great   Great site

This message was authored by TonyRR This message was authored by: TonyRR

Brilliant fix. Just tried it - remote works like new after 15 mins effort. The hardest part was prising the remote open, but once that's done, the rest is relatively easy.

A further tip - if you do use a hairdryrer to speed up the drying, leave it on cold: heat seems to leach more oil out of the rubber key pad. 

This message was authored by KIZY2 This message was authored by: KIZY2

It WORKS !!!!!

And all I cleaned it with was a baby wipe, then put it straight back together ! Success!!!

This message was authored by Lesley1223456 This message was authored by: Lesley1223456

Brilliant solution, tried it and the remote now works! 

As another poster has said, the hardest part is opening up the remote.

This message was authored by Sandi21 This message was authored by: Sandi21

Excellent advice! A few minutes cleaning inside the remote and the buttons all work again. Weeks of frustration solved with a tiny amount of washing up liquid! Definitely try this if your remote has buttons that stick or refuse to work! 

This message was authored by Suzi+Blue This message was authored by: Suzi+Blue

This advice works brilliantly. Takes about 10 mins. Cleaned mine with cotton buds and works fine now. Thanks

This message was authored by Anonymous This message was authored by: Anonymous

Great and effective advice!

Just gave it all a wipe down with a tissue - didn't need to go as far as washing and drying it.

Saved the cost of a replacement remote

This message was authored by The+Bobster This message was authored by: The+Bobster

My sky remote was sticking on the select button. I followed the post and carefully cleaned the circuit board and washed the button pad, it now works perfectly.

This message was authored by DarrenWit This message was authored by: DarrenWit

Excellent advice! My Sky+ remote is over 6 years old so this was overdue.

I had the same issue with my select button sticking, driving me crazy for a few weeks.

After unscrewing, I managed to easily prise open the case with my hands, gave the circuit board a full careful wipe down with anti-back wipes which helped removed the oil then went over it with cotton wool buds to pick up any remaining oil. Next, I washed the rubber keypad in warm water then let everything dry. Then I put it all back together again. Very simple, easy process. Whole job done in about 10 minutes.

My Sky+ remote is now functioning lightning fast again, all buttons including the select are working perfectly.

This is highly recommended if you don't want to pay out for a new Sky+ remote.

This message was authored by Wycombe+Watty This message was authored by: Wycombe+Watty

Random buttons stop working on my Sky + Remote

This post originating from 2008 is brilliant, far better than Sky's website, App or telephoning Sky themselves.  I highly recomend this post before you waste money on a new remote control it worked first time.

This message was authored by Dan.Cox This message was authored by: Dan.Cox

Brilliant solution. I just cleaned up mine with some isopropyl alcohol. Used a kit I brought to take phones apart, to disassemble the remote. 5 minutes later the 7 year old remote, works like new.

This discussion has been locked

Sorry, you can't reply to this discussion as it's been locked by our Community Managers.

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

New Discussion