Subtitles for catch up and on demand

Researcher
Post 1 of 40

Subtitles for catch up and on demand

Hi.

I have been waiting for subtitles to arrive for catch up and on demand but no Joy . I have just started to watch on Amazon Prime and can get subtitles for some of the content so when is Sky going to play catch up?

I love the fact there is so much to watch on sky but unfortunately being deaf it is no good to me.

Thanks

All Replies
Managing Editor
Post 2 of 40

Re: Subtitles for catch up and on demand

A feature request which has been made numerous time's but still no sign of it. Hopefully with the amount of customer's who are now using On demand they may well get it added at long last!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Will help Best I can!┆Sky+ HD Customer Since 2013 Upgraded to Sky Q 2TB (Wireless), Sky Q Mini (Wireless) Since 2016┆VM SuperHub 3.0┆iPhone 6s Plus - iOS beta tester
Runner
Post 3 of 40

It is rather disappionting that Sky can't provide subtitles on Catch up and On Demand. It is rather strange that it had subtitles on box office, it maybe you are paying extra for it?

I can honestly speak for every single deaf person that Sky need to move quickly if they want to be the front runner and to provide subtitles for all Catch up and on Demand.

Let hope they will.

Laurence

Runner
Post 4 of 40

When Sky advertise On Demand and Catch Up, they should warn the public that there is no subtitle available. This would make the public aware and allow them to look at other suppliers who can provide it.

Laurence

Boom Operator
Post 5 of 40

Yet another example of Sky not giving a toss.

If you want to keep your customers start listening to your customers.
Runner
Post 6 of 40

When is sky going to include subtitles for both catch up and downloading films? I am now considering cancelling my package!

Oracle
Post 7 of 40

Summer next year apparently @NeilDavid100 according to a press release they put out a few months back.

__________________________________________________________________________________________.

If someone has helped you then please click on the LIKES button in their post.
I do not work for Sky.
Executive Producer
Post 8 of 40

poppyfield756 wrote:

When Sky advertise On Demand and Catch Up, they should warn the public that there is no subtitle available. This would make the public aware and allow them to look at other suppliers who can provide it.

Laurence

Just out of interest are there any TV suppliers that do have a decent library of subtitled on demand content?

I fully agree that such a service would be highly desirable, and I don't see why you should have to wait until next summer, but with your comment regarding looking at other suppliers I just wondered if such a service is already available?

Boom Operator
Post 9 of 40

Hi Penman... Was just checking how the subtitle issue was going with sky...its a year I think since I last checked...

I see there is not improvement and the deaf are still being offended... perhaps if we said that we are offended it may change the ball game... ugh...  

However, please tell us how you are finding Amazon Prime...something I have also turned  down in the past due to lack of subtitles... 

What is the percentage of their subtitled movies would you say... 

Is there a way of checking if the movie has subtitled before you download it?

Please tell me as much as you can because Amazon hearing people have no idea what we are on about most of the time... lol...

Thanks Penman.

Always striving towards Subtitles for the deaf Sky members.
Researcher
Post 10 of 40

Hi

I have just seen a report that the government are not going to legislate to force the use of subtitles on catch up so we are back to square 1.

I purchased a Amazon prime fire stick and have been watching the 1st series of Bosch and all episodes are subtitled. They are closed captions and in my experience most of the content that is free are subtitled. However I did purchase a movie some time ago that was not subtitled. I also have seen a couple of movies that were subtitled.

I have looked again and when you click on a video there is a description and if subtitles are available you will see the symbol CC for closed captions. If there is no CC you don't have to download it. I can't say if everything that as marked CC will be subtitled as we all know that sometimes it doesn't happen. There are quite a few movies marked as having captions though.

The thing I like about it is you can download something and pause it and come back to it in a few weeks and it will start from where it left off and the subtitles will still be there.

Hope this helps

Regards

Penman

Oracle
Post 11 of 40

Sky have publicly stated that they are working toward adding subtitles to much of their on-demand content and this project is targeted to complete in July this year - https://corporate.sky.com/media-centre/our-blog/2015/our-commitment-to-providing-subtitles-on-our-on...
Boom Operator
Post 12 of 40

Excellent and full reply Penman...thank you very much ...most informative..

I spoke to someone very nice on the Acessability phone line.... He explained that Sky have, after many years of difficulty, now managed to get subtitles up with their Catch Up TV.  I am trying it out in a few weeks and am very hopeful from what he told me.  I believe there are other areas now with subtitles...  Best to phone one to one and get this variefied or email the Acessabilitiy Dept. if you cannot manage the phone with any questions and doubt..

Boom Operator
Post 13 of 40

Thank you.... From posts like yours I found,  I started some research into Sky... I  spoke to someone on the Acessabilites line and they were fill of information about the new subtitilted areas which are rolling out now.... I will be trying out the new subtitled Catch Up TV in a few weeks time. Its looking good and much better for the deaf...  Best to email the Acessablilty Dept. and get what is available in text then you can decide what to take up.

Researcher
Post 14 of 40

Hi. Thanks for this.

I went through the lot of them the other day, catch up, box sets etc and nothing came up on the description to say subtitles. I notice someone watched star wars with subs so I will have a look. However it sounds promising so I will e-mail someone for more info.

Boom Operator
Post 15 of 40

Hello again Penman....  Warning some on the ordinary phone lines just dont know about lots of areas....it was the guy on the Asessabiltiy phone line who instantaly had all the information and was willing to tell all the techincallities with enthusiams... So just phone again to get someone else if they dont know ...  Best wishes.

Recommended Threads