Let's Talk About Movies

Community Manager
Post 85 of 95

Let's Talk About Movies

Cinema

What's the latest movie you've watched? Your favorite actor/actress is coming back to the big screen? Do you know something about a great film coming out soon that no one else knows? 

Don't keep it to yourself... Let's talk about movies!

Federica-C
Community Manager

Take a look at the latest exclusive Sky customer offers
All Replies
Oracle
Post 1 of 95

Star Wars

DRX895 (4f3151) - Logitech Z-5500 - ASUS VG278HV 27" - EPG Tester (NDA)DRX890 (4f3108) - LG 32LV550T 32" • Boxsets Bundle • MultiScreen • VIP Black ★ • iPad Pro 12.9" - iOS 10.3.3Xbox One - Alpha Tester - Gamertag:Annie UK • BT Infinity 2 • YouView HD • Lumia 1520 
Sky Customer - Tech Geek - Gamer - Web Designer - Computer Programmer
Oracle
Post 2 of 95

Re: Star Wars

In not really looking forward to it to be honest, the thing that made the original 3 films so good just isn't present in the newer ones and its down to the over use of CGI, I'm sure it will do well at the box office but I wont be going to watch it.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Oracles are not Sky employees, we are just customers and will not be able to assist with account or billing issues.
Oracle
Post 3 of 95

The 3 originals were classics, the 3 prequels were tragic, I'm keeping my fingers crossed for these sequels as I do like JJs Star Trek movies.

Apparently that robot (BB-8) the ball with a upturned dish on the top is not CGI

DRX895 (4f3151) - Logitech Z-5500 - ASUS VG278HV 27" - EPG Tester (NDA)DRX890 (4f3108) - LG 32LV550T 32" • Boxsets Bundle • MultiScreen • VIP Black ★ • iPad Pro 12.9" - iOS 10.3.3Xbox One - Alpha Tester - Gamertag:Annie UK • BT Infinity 2 • YouView HD • Lumia 1520 
Sky Customer - Tech Geek - Gamer - Web Designer - Computer Programmer
Oracle
Post 4 of 95

Indeed. According to the clip I heard on the radio today (from the designer himself), BB-8 is 100% genuine, no CGI. Apparently the most technically challenging, but most satisfying, project he has worked on.

As I understand it, JJ Abrams has gone "back to basics" across the baord with real effects and live action wherever possible and minimal use of CGI, i.e. cinematically as much like the original trilogy as possible.

KingfisherUKSky Q 2TB & Virgin Vivid 200  Volunteer Beta Tester  Community Oracle
Oracle
Post 5 of 95

Yep, BB-8 is real.

KingfisherUKSky Q 2TB & Virgin Vivid 200  Volunteer Beta Tester  Community Oracle
Oracle
Post 6 of 95

There are certain new films that I prefer to see at the cinema, on the big screen, when they come out. I've recently found out that one of those films, Snoopy And Charlie Brown: The Peanuts Movie 3D is coming out on 21/12/15, 3 days after Star Wars. I am so not happy about this. I have absolutely zero interest in new Star Wars films. For me, SW began & finished with the original trilogy.

Normally, my local Vue cinema would show a new 3D release on screen 1, their biggest screen. Because of SW this means TPM will be relegated to a much smaller screen as I know SW will take up 4 or 5 screens out of the 10 we have. If TPM is shown on screen 9 or 10 it will hardly be worth bothering & they aren't much bigger than my living room. I can't believe 20th Century Fox have chosen this release date. They quite literally couldn't have chosen a worse opening weekend this year. What are they thinking? 

In case you think I'm joking here, I'm not. I've been a fan of Peanuts for as long as I can remember & was really pleased when the film was announced. Even more pleased after seeing the trailer as it looked like they were doing a good job of it. It's well known in the film business that when something as big as SW is going to be is released, you don't try & compete with it. 

Ok, rant over.

Sky+HD 2TB STB - 46" 3DLEDHDTV - 3D Blu ray player/HCS
Executive Producer
Post 7 of 95

merv60 wrote:

For me, SW began & finished with the original trilogy.

Me too - enitrely agree.

Personally I'm totally fed up of the lack of originality in movies and tv these days. There so many remakes / remodels/ re-imaginings/ reboots etc etc etc that it makes me wonder what happened in the industry. Are the people who currently work in mopvies and tv realy that unimagintaive and unable to come up with any fresh and original ideas? Or is it more that the industry has become so lazy that it really can't be bothered any more?

Yes - I am exaggerating - the picture isn't quite as bleak as I'm painting it, but to me it just smacks of sheer laziness - they still want our money but they really can't be bothered to put the work in to get it.

That's my twopennorth anyway Smiley Happy

Oracle
Post 8 of 95

@Pacco65 To be fair to SW, it was always George Lucas' intention that the story would be told over 9 films, albeit he intended them all to be made by 1999. Of course, in this day & age of sequel upon sequel & the cash cow that is Disney, who's to say SW won't run & run ad infinitum.

Totally agree on the point you're making. I won't watch all the Marvel Universe films that are out there, it's too much.

It will always come down to the mighty $ & bums on seats. If something works they will keep on doing it until it stops working & then move on to the next big thing.

Community Manager
Post 9 of 95

New Star Wars Ep VII Trailer

32 years since Episode VI was released we are now 2 months away from what many expect to be the biggest movie release of all time.

Personally i am pretty excited about this and cannot wait, i am even considering pre-ordering tickets to watch it int the cinema at 00:01 on the night of release.

watch the trailer and tell us what you think...

Mark
Community Manager

Executive Producer
Post 10 of 95

Re: New Star Wars Ep VII Trailer

The trailer looks great. Won't be there at that time of night though - at my age I'd just fall asleep so there's no point - way past my bedtime Smiley Happy

I do, however, remember queueing round the block at the local fleapit to see the original movie that started it all off with all my mates. We were so excited, and that film was just about all we talked about for days after. Good times!

Community Manager
Post 11 of 95

It changed cinema forever in my book, so far ahead of its time.
I believe that they will make a good standalone trilogy this time round.

I think Rogue 1 is due to be released Christmas 2016 as well, it could be an annual event.
I am sure the merchandising opportunities around Christmas are purely co-incidental though.

Star Wars without Darth Vader is hard to imagine so a top drawer baddie is vital.

Mark
Community Manager

Oracle
Post 12 of 95

Trailer looks great, got my tickets booked for me and my 13 year old son for 8:30pm opening day (can't really take him to the 00:05 showing, as much as if love to!) in glorious IMAX as well.

There are some interesting discussions going on around the internet about the official poster as well, theories about what certain things are, why certain things/people are missing etc.

I also have one theory of my own which I haven't seen anywhere else, so I'll be intrigued to see if I'm proved right.....

Community Manager
Post 13 of 95

I haven't looked into this, i had noticed that we still haven't seen Luke's face yet.
i'm trying to stop myself from looking it all up and ruining the film but i think i'll love it even if it was just Chewy yelling for 2 hours.

Mark
Community Manager

Oracle
Post 14 of 95

Well I won't be there, at midnight or any other screening. George Lucas messed up the whole thing for me ( & a great many others ) with TPM that I gave up with SW for good, so I have quite literally lost the plot. SW for me is Ep 4, 5 & 6 & always will be. 

As for the merch, how are the Disney stores going to find room for SW stuff as well as Marvel merch & all the regular Disney Princess & other character merch? Our local store in Cardiff isn't very big, no idea how they'll manage.