Any plans for Valentine's day?

Community Manager
Post 1 of 20

Any plans for Valentine's day?

Valentine's Day.jpg

Morning folks,

Any plans for tomorrow? BTW... How did Valentine's Day start in the first place?!

Federica-C
Community Manager

Watch the best live coverage of your favourite sports: Find Out More

All Replies
Oracle
Post 2 of 20

Re: Any plans for Valentine's day?

Hallmark saw another opportunity? Cynical? Moi? Smiley Very Happy

Sky+HD 2TB STB 46" 3DLEDHDTV 3D Blu ray player/HCS
Boom Operator
Post 3 of 20

Aww @merv60 we all know what you are doing on valentines day... Sitting down with the gf at 11:15 turning on Sky, switching to Sony Movies and watching... The Fly! It's got Jeff Goldblum in it. Smiley Very Happy

I'm looking through the Sky Cinema -> Valentines section for something not too soppy to watch with the better half tomorrow, any recommendations @Federica-C?

Former VOIP Network Engineer/Programmer.
SkyQ Silver with one Mini box wireless connection, Box Sets Bundle with Sky Cinema and Sky Sports. BT Home Hub 6 with 52Mb fibre.
Camera Operator
Post 4 of 20

Out to dinner, leaving the dogs at home to fend for themselves.

I'm already £40 down after SWMBO decided at the last minute that she didn't like Heston's menu, so going somewhere else a bit last-minute.

____
Pete.
Community Manager
Post 5 of 20

If it can be of any consolation, my other half will be off to Spain tomorrow to attend his fave football team's game.(Seriously??? Yes)  

So, @manualoverride I'll be sitting on my couch, just like the rest of us, watching Notting Hill. I can't tell you how much I love Brit romantic comedies, I keep watching them over and over again! Better is there is Hugh Grant in it. Smiley Wink

Sleepless in Seattle is also good. Full Valentine's listing available here.

Federica-C
Community Manager

Community Manager
Post 6 of 20

@PeteRG41 What dogs do you have? 

Federica-C
Community Manager

Camera Operator
Post 7 of 20

@Federica-C We have a 9 year old Miniature Schnauzer and a 5 month old Black Labrador puppy.

The Labrador is training to be a guide dog.

20170211_121132857_iOS.jpg20170122_140531240_iOS.jpg

____
Pete.
Community Manager
Post 8 of 20

Awww!!! How lovely! HeartHeart I have a 4-month cavachon. This is IT (like IT the demon clown) Smiley Very Happy

Arya.jpg

How are you getting on with the pup?

Federica-C
Community Manager

Oracle
Post 9 of 20

manualoverride wrote:

Aww @merv60 we all know what you are doing on valentines day... Sitting down with the gf at 11:15 turning on Sky, switching to Sony Movies and watching... The Fly! It's got Jeff Goldblum in it. Smiley Very Happy

I'm looking through the Sky Cinema -> Valentines section for something not too soppy to watch with the better half tomorrow, any recommendations @Federica-C?

@manualoverride  Sorry, but I watched The Fly a few weeks ago without my gf, she wasn't interested. Prefers feeding them fizzy drinks. Smiley Tongue

As to a good Valentine film, the one right before The Fly on Sony Movies is a really good one - My Best Friend's Wedding.

Oracle
Post 10 of 20

@Federica-C This is my gf's parent's dog, Molly on her Dad's lap. She's a Bichon Frise which is half of what your dog is. Not sure how this thread went from Valentine's Day to our dogs, but hey - ho.

molly.jpg

Oracle
Post 11 of 20

@Federica-C As to your original question, I nicked this from Wiki:

Several martyrdom stories associated with the various Valentines that were connected to February 14 were added to later martyrologies, including a popular hagiographical account of Saint Valentine of Rome which indicated he was imprisoned for performing weddings for soldiers who were forbidden to marry and for ministering to Christians, who were persecuted under the Roman Empire. According to legend, during his imprisonment, Saint Valentine healed the daughter of his jailer, Asterius, and before his execution, he wrote her a letter signed "Your Valentine" as a farewell.

The day first became associated with romantic love within the circle of Geoffrey Chaucer in the 14th century, when the tradition of courtly love flourished. In 18th-century England, it evolved into an occasion in which lovers expressed their love for each other by presenting flowers, offering confectionery, and sending greeting cards (known as "valentines"). In Europe, Saint Valentine's Keys are given to lovers "as a romantic symbol and an invitation to unlock the giver’s heart", as well as to children, in order to ward off epilepsy (called Saint Valentine's Malady). Valentine's Day symbols that are used today include the heart-shaped outline, doves, and the figure of the winged Cupid. Since the 19th century, handwritten valentines have given way to mass-produced greeting cards.

Community Manager
Post 12 of 20

Cutie pie Smiley Happy Arya's mum is in fact a bichon. Doggies go well with Valentine's Day, just like chocolates and flowers Smiley Very Happy

Pretty interesting origins... There's so much we don't know about our traditions!  

Federica-C
Community Manager

Oracle
Post 13 of 20

Had the following email from my gf from her workplace:

" They have a valentines competition today, best poem and all thatShould I enter this?

Roses are Red

Sugar is Sweet

You’ll fit in my fridge

If I cut off your feet. "

Should I be concerned?  Smiley Surprised Smiley Tongue

Community Manager
Post 14 of 20

Smiley LOL  The macabre in this love poem is amusing. She's a true poet!

PS. Stay away from the fridge!

Federica-C
Community Manager

Boom Operator
Post 15 of 20

@merv60If I know women... and I think I do... she's saying she wants a new fridge for Valentines day. 

Best pick one up on the way home Smiley Wink

Edit: Buy a big one!

Former VOIP Network Engineer/Programmer.
SkyQ Silver with one Mini box wireless connection, Box Sets Bundle with Sky Cinema and Sky Sports. BT Home Hub 6 with 52Mb fibre.