Help
Help

Fibre broadband
Sky Fibre superfast and superunlimited connections for those who demand more from their broadband.
Regular Visitor
Its+a+Joke

How do I know when Fibre Optic Broadband is in my area?

What's the best way to find out if Fibre Optic Broadband is in my area?

Stay Safe: Don't post any personal details or Sky account information. Plain text only in this box.
Retired Staff Member
Joss-91

Re: How do I know when Fibre Optic Broadband is in my area?

Hi Its+a+Joke,

I'm happy to see someone else looking to get super fast speeds with Fibre Broadband.

You can check Fibre availability through your My Sky.

I hope the service is available for you and if you need help with anything else please get back to us on the Forum.

Cheers,

Stay Safe: Don't post any personal details or Sky account information. Plain text only in this box.
Senior Member (Gold)
Cymru123

Re: How do I know when Fibre Optic Broadband is in my area?

Hi Its+a+Joke,

Sky Fibre Broadband uses FTTC technology and uses the Openreach Fibre infrastructure in an exchange area before connecting to the Sky Fibre LLU network at the local exchange.

There are currently Three Criterias that you need to meet to be able to get FTTC broadband such as Sky Fibre Broadband:

1) Your Local Exchange need to be Fibre (FTTC) broadband ready and accepting Orders

2) Your local street telephone cabinet (pcp) needs to be upgraded with a FTTC cabinet

3) Sky needs to buy a GEA Link to Openreach's Fibre infrastructure at your local exchange.

Sky FTTC (Fibre to the Cabinet) fibre broadband uses Openreach's Fibre infrastructure in your exchange area.

Have a look here to see if it is available to your address: Can I get Sky Fibre Broadband? | FTTx Explained

The instructions on the link above will also tell you what exchange you are connected to, and what steet cabinet number you are  connected to as well (if applicable)

However Sky also need to buy a GEA link from Openreach to connect the Sky Fibre hardware in the exchange to the Openreach Fibre infrastructure, this will then allow SKY to offer Sky Fibre to those who are in a FTTC area.

Hope that helps,

Cheers