Help
Help

Fibre broadband
Sky Fibre superfast and superunlimited connections for those who demand more from their broadband.
Occasional Visitor
dazzawhit3
Accepted Solution

Can the Openreach modem connect to the new Sky Hub via Router/Hub and a powerline network?

It makes no sense to locate my new wifi Sky Router next to my Openreach fibre modem. The old Sky wifi router is currently in the living room connected over a telephone extension.

Does the modem have to connect directly to the new Sky router or can it connect via a hub/router & network? (Actually it would be hub/router to powerline network to new Sky router).

I've got a multiroom STB & Blu Ray play near the master socket / openreach fibre modem, so I'd like to connect them to a router then have this connect to the new Sky hub & wifi over a powerline network. 

This diagram might help:

Home Network.JPG

Is this possible?

Stay Safe: Don't post any personal details or Sky account information. Plain text only in this box.
Regular Visitor
nickbaker66

Re: Can the Openreach modem connect to the new Sky Hub via Router/Hub and a powerline network?

If i was you i would link the new sky hub to the BTO router then after powerline network i would put old sky router there and discard the other router as that is not required and link my main STB & blu ray player to the old sky router.

on the old sky router change the ip address to 192.168.0.200 and untick the DCHP then reboot thr router so the poweline can transfer the internet access and it will then act as a wireless access point (sorry if you already know this anyway it was just in case you didnt)

:smileywink:

Stay Safe: Don't post any personal details or Sky account information. Plain text only in this box.
Occasional Visitor
dazzawhit3

Re: Can the Openreach modem connect to the new Sky Hub via Router/Hub and a powerline network?

Brilliant. That means I don't have to physically disturb my current set up, just the config.

So if I've understood you correctly, you're suggesting the below topology?

Home Network_Option2.JPG

BTW: I need the old router because my TV / STB / BRP is some distance from the Sky router currently in the room & I can't move the power network adaptor to the TV area (filtered 4-way adaptors.)

I didn't know I could make the old Sky Router behave as a wifi repeater simply by turning off DHCP & giving it a fixed IP address. Thanks for that!

If this doesn't work then can I just swap the routers and have the wifi in the living room? Presumably the BT Openreach modem output is just TCP/IP?

Regular Visitor
nickbaker66

Yeah thats right :smileyhappy:

ahh i wondered why there was a 2nd router in the living room :smileywink:

same again on the 2nd router turn off DCHP allocate an ip address e.g. 192.168.0.199 or to make life easier you could buy an extra power line adapter with power pass through and plug the 4 way extension into that 

t

Occasional Visitor
dazzawhit3

Thanks for all of your help!

It's being installed Friday so I'll post back to let you know how it went & if it works. :smileywink:

Regular Visitor
nickbaker66

no drawing's for me lol

this is my setup

BTO Modem > 

Sky Hub feeds

• Sky Box
  • PS3
  • Poweline Adapter------>

Dining Room

Powerline Adapter into 

Sky Hub 2

STB

TV

Occasional Visitor
dazzawhit3

..and wifi is enabled & serving clients on both Sky hubs? (Even though, only the one connected to the BTO modem - Sky Hub 1 - has DHCP enabled?)
Regular Visitor
nickbaker66

[ Edited ]

dazzawhit3 wrote:
..and wifi is enabled & serving clients on both Sky hubs? (Even though, only the one connected to the BTO modem - Sky Hub 1 - has DHCP enabled?)

Yes thats correct wifi enabled on both hubs and DCHP is enabled only on hub 1 connected to the BTO modem :smileywink: 

but dont forget when you disable DCHP you will also need to allocate an ip address to your other hubs otherwise they will have the same ip adress as your router and they will clash, once changed then reboot hubs and just connect everything up